quick and easy high protien meals/low in cals

Options
ninav1980
ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
So, I am attempting to add more protein to my diet but I need some ideas. QUICK ideas preferably :) without a whole lot of ingredients.

So far all I got is chicken, baked chicken and more baked chicken, lol

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So, I am attempting to add more protein to my diet but I need some ideas. QUICK ideas preferably :) without a whole lot of ingredients.

So far all I got is chicken, baked chicken and more baked chicken, lol

Thanks in advance!!

Heat cast iron pan, add ribeye, sear, baste with butter and aromatics, rest steak
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Turkey & cheese omelet is my fav lately...

Don't know how much protein you're trying to get, but I typically get 90-100+ daily and my diary is open. Feel free to snoop for ideas.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,245 Member
    Options
    Fish with sauteed spinach.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    trainer is telling me I need around 125g. I looked at my history and I am averaging 60-80 daily. I think I can add an easy 20 by drinking a protein shake for breakfast instead of my bfast bar that only provides a measly 2g's. But that still wont get me where I need to be.

for reference, 133 lbs, 5'1,
  • ninav1980
    Options
    Turkey & cheese omelet is my fav lately...

Don't know how much protein you're trying to get, but I typically get 90-100+ daily and my diary is open. Feel free to snoop for ideas.

Thanks! your numbers are close to mine
    going to check it out :)
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    We love cooking eggs like a thin omelet and then rolling them up with lunchmeat (the nitrate free kind) inside as a quick breakfast to go. I also make a lot of juevos rancheros (eggs with beans and healthy avocado fat is really filling). I sprinkle hemp powder in all the things I bake for a wee bit more protein. And I eat a ton of lean ground turkey, which I tend to pre-cook (some crumbled to add to sauces, stews and pizzas, some baked up into a bunch of little burgers to have with fresh veggies for a quick meal). Salmon bakes in about 15 minutes (I toss mine in a pan with white wine and lemon pepper).
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Shrimp cocktail. Yum.
  • MomforNoah
    MomforNoah Posts: 76
    Options
    I use hard boiled egg whites as snacks and in my salads for extra protein. I use shakes too as snacks with 25g of protein in them
  • DWBalboa
    Options
    trainer is telling me I need around 125g. I looked at my history and I am averaging 60-80 daily. I think I can add an easy 20 by drinking a protein shake for breakfast instead of my bfast bar that only provides a measly 2g's. But that still wont get me where I need to be.

Unless you’re lifting to bulk up that seems a little high given your body weight. What are your goals?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    What does "low in cals" mean? Under 700 calories? 500? 300?
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I just stir fried (non stick pan and 0.5 tbs olive oil) 180g king prawns with chillis, mushrooms and loads of diff veggies - I added some precooked orzo to mine as I didn't mind some extra carbs. Yum!
  • ninav1980
    Options

Unless you’re lifting to bulk up that seems a little high given your body weight. What are your goals?

I just want to lose weight. But my trainer has me freaked out. He has basically told me that everything I do in the gym is wasted unless I eat "x" amount of protein. I completely understand his reasoning. Protein builds muscle which then in turn burns fat easier. He actually kind of annoyed me when he said that because I find it absurd that absolutely nothing I do makes a difference UNLESS I eat said amount of protein. I know it will speed things along, but I am fine with losing at my pace. I wont be skinny fat either, because its not my body type to be so. With that being said, he does have me freaked out which is why I am considering the protein, lol.

Here is my workout schedule for this week

Monday-Personal Trainer-1 hr, plus 3 mile run
    Tuesday-run 5miles
    Wednesday-Personal Trainer-1 hr plus 3 mile run
    Thursday-Bootcamp-1 hr
    Friday-run 5 miles

If anyone has any suggestions for protein intake, please chime in!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Here's a good list of protein sources and their nutritional values:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

I also get between 130-170g of protein a day (usually), so feel free to look through my diary. I do eat a fair amount of chicken, mostly because I cook it in huge batches.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    - Tuna (in water) w/out mayo (100 cals / 22 g protein)
    - Soy nuts (130 cals / 10 g protein per 1/4 cup)
    - 0% greek yogurt ( 100 cals, 18 g protein)
    - Pure Protein Bars (200 cals / 20 g protein)
    - Hard Boiled Egg (70 cals / 6 g protein)
  • ninav1980
    Options
    What does "low in cals" mean? Under 700 calories? 500? 300?

thats a good question. I guess low can mean different things to different people

my daily goals are 1400.... so breakfast is usually no more than 200 cals, lunch no more than 500, dinner 500-600, snacks 100-200 cals......
  • DWBalboa
    Options
    I’m no trainer so maybe I’m way of point here and perhaps I really need to amp up my intake but I keep my macro’s at 40/35/25 (Carbs/Protein/Fat) and I usually keep well within my daily goals and that’s with a 1600 calorie goal. Of course by the time I add in my exercise calories I end up between 2200-2600 calories which I don’t usually even come close to that, I may get as many as 2200 calories. My CW is 201 and I’ll end up with around 150 grams of protein on a good day.
    With all that said I am mainly trying to lose weight and tone up and so far I’m doing that rather well. Perhaps if I was trying to bulk up I would need more protein but let’s face it, I’m already too bulky that’s why I’m trying to lose weight.
    It sounds like you have plenty of good idea’s now so good luck.
  • weathergiiirl
    Options
    When I'm trying to be super quick, I'll just George Foreman some thin-cut steak seasoned with pepper and spices, then cover it with chunks of avocado and tomato. Never gets old to me.

Tonight I'm having creamy tomato baked chicken, BUT, it sounds delicious and super simple!
    *From Pinterest:
    In an ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven (sorry photo does not show either), brown 3 to 4 large boneless chicken breasts over high heat in olive oil, about 2 minutes a side. Remove breasts from pan. (They do not have to be cooked through.) Turn down heat to medium-low and add one onion (finely chopped) and 2 cloves garlic (minced). After about 2 minutes, stir in one 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in 3-4 tablespoons mascarpone and a handful of roughly chopped basil. Add chicken back to pan, immersing them in sauce. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.

Another Pinterest recipe I can't wait to try:
    Lemon Herb Steak Foil Packets:
    1 thin cut steak (i used rib-eye)
    1/2 lemon
    1 sprig fresh rosemary
    Dried Thyme
    Salt (Kosher) & Pepper
    Butter & Olive Oil
    Heavy Duty Foil – 2 sheets (approx. 12″ x 12″)
    Asparagus or your choice of vegetables

Directions:
    preheat your grill or heat your coals on your campfire to medium high. on a piece of heavy duty tin foil (approx. 12″ x 12″), lightly coat with olive oil and dot with butter. season both sides of your steak with salt and pepper. place the steak in the center of the foil. sprinkle with thyme, rosemary leaves and a slice of fresh lemon. place fresh vegetables and lemon next to the steak. dot with butter and cover with the second piece of foil over the top. seal each side of the foil shut. once your packets are sealed and marked, place them onto the grill at medium-high heat. grill them for 8-10 minutes (depending on how you prefer your meat), flipping them over halfway through cooking. when they are finished grilling, let stand for 2-3 minutes before you open foil in the middle and enjoy.

YUM
  • DWBalboa
    Options
    Something I use to do (Pre-family) when I cooked for myself was in my three layer steamer I would put rice on the bottom, chicken or fish on the middle, broccoli and cauliflower on the top. I would put a little butter and lemon with a few other herbs on top and as it cooked the flavors would drip down to the lower levels and “Oh Momma” would it be right on time! I would switch out the protein source and the veggies as well but rice was a staple for me.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a great way to add protein. Twice the protein content of regular yogurt. 8 oz = 22g protein. If it's too tart for you and you don't mind a few additional calories, try adding a tablespoon of honey, or fruit, raspberry jam, whatever...
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Food prep on the weekends. I always cook my lunches in bulk, put it in bowls/baggies, heat it up and it's ready to eat. Preparation is key for me.