Muscle vs Fat

Options
I've read quite a lot on the message boards that muscle weighs more than fat. And its really annoying me because it doesn't!
1lb of muscle is the same weight as 1lb of fat!!!! The difference is the muscle is denser, and takes up less space than fat, so it looks better to pack pounds of lean, dense, tightly packed muscle fibres than it does to pack the same weight in loose, wobbly fat cells .......

The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn when you work out, extra muscle fibres use extra calories to make them work. So keep pushing yourself when things start to feel easy, and keep pumping the guns! :) xx

Replies

• 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Amen! Been saying that for awhile now!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes it does, why do people feel the need to argue semantics. When someone says muscle weighs more than fat they are inferring that in equal volumes muscle weighs more that fat. We all know this is what they mean yet some people come up with the argument that 1 lb equals 1 lb, of course it does, but that is not what they are saying, you are putting words into their mouth.

1 cubic foot of muscle does weigh more than one cubic foot of fat. Or one pound of fat takes up more space than one pound of muscle, either of these are what they mean therefore they are correct.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Yes it does, why do people feel the need to argue semantics. When someone says muscle weighs more than fat they are inferring that in equal volumes muscle weighs more that fat. We all know this is what they mean yet some people come up with the argument that 1 lb equals 1 lb, of course it does, but that is not what they are saying, you are putting words into their mouth.

1 cubic foot of muscle does weigh more than one cubic foot of fat. Or one pound of fat takes up more space than one pound of muscle, either of these are what they mean therefore they are correct.

Agreed!!! It's an easier way of stating it!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    yes, 1 lb of muscle is equal to 1 lb of fat, but what the point is, the mass involved.

fat occupies more volume than muscle, so where 1 lbl of each are difference size. Example is the following but it not to scale.

1 lb of fat =
    :_________________:

1 lb of muscle =
    Options
    That's what I've been taught. Muscles just wear better in your clothes.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

Although for some it is just semantics, others feel that muscle is scary. More and more women say that they don't want muscle because they don't want to get bulky. It's a shame because muscle DOES help us burn calories better.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've read quite a lot on the message boards that muscle weighs more than fat. And its really annoying me because it doesn't!
    1lb of muscle is the same weight as 1lb of fat!!!!

That's like saying chocolate and lettuce have the same amount of calories because 100 calories of chocolate and 100 calories of lettuce have the same amount of calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1lb of muscle is the same weight as 1lb of fat!!!!

That's like saying chocolate and lettuce have the same amount of calories because 100 calories of chocolate and 100 calories of lettuce have the same amount of calories.

I love this analogy, I am going to steel it next time someone says muscle and fat weigh the same.