too skinny?

Options
My mom and even a few of my friends have told me I'm too skinny. I don't think I am, I'm waivering between 122 and 125. I'm 5'5", so that's normal. See my profile pic and tell me that I'm not too skinny!!

Replies

• marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What does your health care provider say? What do the BMI charts say? If you're within normal weight range with those folks, then, no, you're not too skinny.

I am tired of friends and coworkers telling me I "should quit now" or "eat a sandwich" or whatever, when I am well within a healthy weight range for a woman of my height, age, and body structure. I do not have body image issues or an eating disorder. I am working on being healthy. Sheesh. I'm no where even close to underweight and some of these rudeniks have been telling me this since I was still 10 pounds overweight.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me a lot too since I lost the weight. I think it's just that people got used to seeing a heavier me that now even though I am at a healthy weight, I look "too skinny" to them. I mean, I weighed this much 15 years ago when I was in high school and no one had any concerns about me being too skinny then! As long as you are eating and taking care of yourself and generally healthy, then I say just ignore them. :smile:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    If i had to say from the picture in the dark blue dress, I would say yes. Not unlealthy skinny, but skinny where you could use a couple of more pounds or some muscle work. I would say go for the muscle work to tighten up and fill in a bit.

I don't think it's people being mean; I think that sometimes some folks look better with a tiny bit more meat on their bones.

However, it's a picture. You probably look more different in person.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You're not too skinny.
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    we're about the same height, for my body, that weight would be too low. that said, it is still considered a healthy weight for the height. if you feel good and think you look good, that's all that matters. i also agree with ValGogo - some muscle definition may not be a bad idea.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    125 is not too skinny for that height
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Your profile pic is of you at 5'5 125lbs?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My mom and even a few of my friends have told me I'm too skinny. I don't think I am, I'm waivering between 122 and 125. I'm 5'5", so that's normal. See my profile pic and tell me that I'm not too skinny!!

I profile creeped. This is the least healthy looking of them. There is one that looks a little more healthy. I don't know about the normalcy of that weight to height ratio, but your arm looks a little small compared to the rest of you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Also, is your hair wet in this pic?
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Not that the BMI is the be all and end all, but your stats place you squarely in the healthy range. Do you feel good? Does your doctor say you are healthy?
    BTW I get the same thing from people who tell me not to loose any more weight.....and some of them are a size ZERO. I lost about 80 pounds and at 5'8" weigh between 142 - 144. Feel great. I think some people are just jealous.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It takes time for people to get used to the way you look now. You have lost a LOT of weight (congratulations). And to me you look fine.

My mom and sibs told me I looked too thin too. But when I weighed this much at 20 and then gained 10 pounds from there, they told me I was looking fat. It's what you're used to.

If you are clearly in a healthy range, roll with it. They'll be used to it in a few months.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Not that the BMI is the be all and end all, but your stats place you squarely in the healthy range. Do you feel good? Does your doctor say you are healthy?
    BTW I get the same thing from people who tell me not to loose any more weight.....and some of them are a size ZERO. I lost about 80 pounds and at 5'8" weigh between 142 - 144. Feel great. I think some people are just jealous.

I don't usually start shiz in posts, but that's kinda inflamatory to call people jealous, ain't it? Just saying, that's not nice.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you have energy, no pain (excessive irritability), like how you look, and are content with what you are eating- you are not too skinny, too fat, too whatever. You shouldn't let anyone (not even people from MFP) tell you you're too skinny, too fat, too large, too small- unless you feel so and want to make the change.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    125 is listed as a healthy weight for 5'5". Weight training helps pretty much everyone so I'll agree with that, too.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Truth? You could add a couple of pounds of muscle to your frame.

ETA: I got the same comments from everyone, including my husband, when I got down to 135 (I'm 5'8). At the time I didn't think I was too skinny. It wasn't until I starting bulking and building muscle that I realized I looked very sickly at that weight with the small amount of muscle on my frame.

Muscle would do you a world of good in my opinion, especially on your arms. Will give you a nice, fit look. But it's up to you. If you're happy at that weight and the way you look then flaunt it.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    our stats are the same - 5'5" and 125 pounds. I think the angle of your profile pic is what makes it questionable. Otherwise, I think you're fine. <Main question is, are YOU happy with your weight?
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Also, is your hair wet in this pic?

Seriously!! How is that important or relevant?

OP congrats on the weight loss - based on your pics you don't look too thin. You look just fine and I can see a really big transformation from your previous pics.

All you need to ask yourself is this: 'Am I happy with how I look?' - if the answer is yes then continue on and ignore the haters. If the answer is no then you can do something about it but remember its your body so don't be too swayed by the opinions of others no matter how well meaning they seem as all that counts is that your happy with your own body.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Not to skinny. Just need to hit some weights.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    your not too skinny me iam same height same weight as you too
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I think you look just fine.

I know how you are feeling .. my friends recently called me a "crack head" cause I was too skinny. Well .. sorry, I am fit now and yes I have lost a lot of weight, but I was pretty fat before. They are all visibly over weight except for one of them, so I think that they are just jealous of the effort I have made over the last 8 months.

Don't worry about it .. you are fine.