Which is better??

Options
Which interval is better?

Run intervals for 12 minutes-- 30 seconds at 100% of your speed then one minute at 40% of your speed--alternate back and forth for 12 minutes.

OR

Run intervals for 50 minutes -- incline @ 8.0 for 2 minutes at 3.5 walk, then no incline for 1 minute jog at 5.7

Replies

• sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about HIIT?
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I say this:
    Run intervals for 12 minutes-- 30 seconds at 100% of your speed then one minute at 40% of your speed--alternate back and forth for 12 minutes.

HIIT is awesome and definitely helps you burn more fat. I love doing the Turbo Fire ones. She does intense cardio for 40-60 seconds and then rest for 40-60 seconds, but still moving. It ranges from a period of 15-30 minutes all together.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It depends on your fitness goals and what you want to accomplish. The HIIT is great for a quick burn but will burn less total calories than the 50 min, the 50 is better for preparing you to run a 10k, but the HIIT can shock your system and kick your metabolism up higher for longer after you finish the workout.
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It depends on your fitness goals and what you want to accomplish. The HIIT is great for a quick burn but will burn less total calories than the 50 min, the 50 is better for preparing you to run a 10k, but the HIIT can shock your system and kick your metabolism up higher for longer after you finish the workout.

Yes i mean HIIT. and i'm still in the "losing" stage. So i wanna do the best, most effective to lose. I've been doing the 50 mins for almost 2 months now: altenating between walking at the incline or alternating the faster jog with a lower jog if that mkaes sense.
    And i do think i need to shock my body right now.
  • tameka1220
    Options
    Are you talking about HIIT?

yes maa'm talking about HIIT
  • sbilyeu75
    Options
    Do the HIIT. Your body has become used to the exercise you're doing now.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    :wink: Always find high intensity is better! The higher yhe heart rate the better... I vote for the 1st workout! [plus thats what I do]
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Here is what you do.

HIIT one Day, Max Intervals the next. Go back and forth. Also realize you're going to lose some muscle along the way but you can build that back after you reach your goal.

I'm doing Insanity / TF HIIT Hybrid....It looks like this.
    Sun - TF HIIT 30 (30 minute HIIT workout)
    Mon - Insanity Plyo Cardio Circuit (40 min MIT(max interval training))
    Tue - TF HIIT 30
    Wed - Insanity Cardio & Power Resistance (40 min)
    Thur - TF HIIT 30
    Fri- Isanity Pure Cardio (38 min) & Cardio Abs (16 min)
    Sat - rest
    Then the next week I start with Insanity on Sunday and so on.

That with a good calorie deficit diet you will lean out quick. I usually burn 375-400 calories with the HIIT and 500 with the Insanity workout. But the HIIT gives me the afterburn affect so my burn more calories for upto 48 hrs after the workout. In 2 weeks I've lost about 6 lbs and have seen a more lean look inmy midsection.
  • tameka1220
    Options
    :wink: Always find high intensity is better! The higher yhe heart rate the better... I vote for the 1st workout! [plus thats what I do]

ok but the HIIT seems so HARD!!!
  • sbilyeu75
    Options

That's the point. :)
  • laddyboy
    Options
    Oh you wanted easy...sorry for my post then.

Come on, you can't expect to get results on doing something easy. Try Insanity for 63 days then everything will seem easy.
  • tameka1220
    Options

That's the point. :)

true that! i am going to do it today!!!! I'll re-post here and let you all know the outcome!!
  • tameka1220
    Options
    Oh you wanted easy...sorry for my post then.

Come on, you can't expect to get results on doing something easy. Try Insanity for 63 days then everything will seem easy.

No doubt! You're right! I am going to give it a shot! THANKS! Don't know about Insanity tho, i seen the video. OMG!!!
  • laddyboy
    Options
    Insanity really pushes you but you get results. I lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks my first round. It's such a feeling of accomplishment. You can do it too.
  • tameka1220
    Options
    Insanity really pushes you but you get results. I lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks my first round. It's such a feeling of accomplishment. You can do it too.

is it really hard to at home? what all equipment do you need?
  • tameka1220
    Options
    and is 12minutes really enough
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would think either is good. You could split these. Do #1 2 days (M&F) and then #2 a day in the middle (W). Week 2 swap with #2 twice and # 1 once etc..I would consider tweaking. #1 to 15-20 minutes. I do like your #2 to provide some lower inpact cardio in the mix..Guess that depends on how strong your joints are. Inclines / hills are great and will help your endurance. Also suggest running/ jogging with incline at 1 for #1. Thats the suggested inclination to simulate outdoor running.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Yes i mean HIIT. and i'm still in the "losing" stage. So i wanna do the best, most effective to lose. I've been doing the 50 mins for almost 2 months now: altenating between walking at the incline or alternating the faster jog with a lower jog if that mkaes sense.
    And i do think i need to shock my body right now.

Great job on the 2 month committment! That's sweet!

Keep in mind that although you are in the losing stage, you want to build muscle because it helps you lose without effort. I'm sure you know this, but muscle is a fat burning mechanism all on its own! The speed helps with cardio and sustainability; inclide helps with muscle. So even though you may not actually lose "weight", you are still helping your body kick fat's butt! :)

Hope this helps!
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    WOW! this HIIT thing sounds like something I should be doing. I googled it but there are a TON of sites. Can anyone recommend a particular site I should check out so that I can get started on a HIIT routine?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    and is 12minutes really enough

Warm up for 5 minutes first by walking fast or jogging slow and make sure you cool down as well, that would extend the workout to 22 min (5 min warm up, 12 min workout, 5 min cool down)