100 Burpees a day challenge

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So I've learned two things from this challenge.

1. Official burpees include a push-up portion.
    2. I can't do burpees.

I've seen it done three ways: with a full push-up, dropping your body all the way down to the ground and then pushing yourself back up, and remaining in the high plank position with no push-up. I think the one where you go flat on the ground looks pretty stupid, and it allows you to relax your muscles for a couple of seconds, which defeats the purpose in my mind. I usually do the one with no push-up, but the military teaches them with a push-up. Eh, whatever...

Have you ever tried relaxing to the ground- releasing the hands off the floor? it's actually hard. It's actually VERY hard. It adds up. I thought the same thing- then I started incorporating it into my floor wall walk ups- and my friend didn't go all the way down to the floor and released and I did- he finished insanely fast- then realized what I was doing- and did it on his next set- he could barely finish the set.

I just came in to ask this... push up - no push up?

Official bur-pees include a push up- but are we doing just jump back only or push up ones?

I got a RSI due to too many push up burpees- so while I"m game I'm not sure I want to take on 100 every day for 30 days... but I could totally (meaning I need to) do some regularly)
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ok, gonna try this. Burpees...I hate them but I love what it does for me. Gonna bring my kids into it. They can do it every day in the summer...keep them in shape for all their sports. They can probably do 100 in a row right now! And fast! They are my inspiration!
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sounds torturous...I'm in! I hate burpees and love burppee results!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I did thirty-five today (One set of five, one set of ten, so on until 35, throughout the day) but my knees are already starting to hurt :frown: I have PFPS and so my knees aren't awesome to begin with, but is there anything to do to minimize injury risk? I'm thinking I should leave the vertical jump out for now...? (Or should I get a signed note from my doctor excusing me from P.E.? :wink:)

Edit: Or I could wear shoes, I forgot about that :tongue:
    Leave the jump out and just stand up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I love doing obstacle course and endurance challenge races. When I train for such an event I will do anywhere from 600 to 750 burpees a day at least 3 days a week. In a Spartan race if you cannot complete an obstacle you are required to do 30 burpees instead. With anywhere from 18 to 26 obstacles I figure I got the whole race covered :wink:

i couldn't land the spear, it went sideways as soon as i released it.

that was my first taste of burpees. i made sure I completed every other obsticle lol. except the rope climb, i'd never done one, i was injured, it was the second to last obsticle and I was full of excuses lol
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So I've learned two things from this challenge.

1. Official burpees include a push-up portion.
    2. I can't do burpees.

I've seen it done three ways: with a full push-up, dropping your body all the way down to the ground and then pushing yourself back up, and remaining in the high plank position with no push-up. I think the one where you go flat on the ground looks pretty stupid, and it allows you to relax your muscles for a couple of seconds, which defeats the purpose in my mind. I usually do the one with no push-up, but the military teaches them with a push-up. Eh, whatever...
    Since the idea is to improve fitness with this challenge, then do it whichever way you can. Some won't be able to do the push up and the vertical, but the idea is to work up to that.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Have you ever tried relaxing to the ground- releasing the hands off the floor? it's actually hard. It's actually VERY hard. It adds up. I thought the same thing- then I started incorporating it into my floor wall walk ups- and my friend didn't go all the way down to the floor and released and I did- he finished insanely fast- then realized what I was doing- and did it on his next set- he could barely finish the set.

I just came in to ask this... push up - no push up?

Official bur-pees include a push up- but are we doing just jump back only or push up ones?

I got a RSI due to too many push up burpees- so while I"m game I'm not sure I want to take on 100 every day for 30 days... but I could totally (meaning I need to) do some regularly)

hand release push ups, where you had to touch your chest down and lift your hands off the ground, were an 'obstacle' in the spartan race i did.

they seemed eaiser to me, like you got a little rest. i'm used to doing them with handles though, I think i'm generally going down to where the floor would be or below.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm in. So far today (Day 1) I have done 20, 10 and another 20.
    10 is comfortably aerobic, 15 I start to go anaerobic and 20 is my current threshold where I have to stop to breathe deeply to re-stabilise.

Hoping to build some stamina generally - especially as the burpee is a similar movement to the Ashtanga vinyasa - and to help promote some weight loss (about 20lbs fat to lose to ftrst assessment).

Uh oh - I can feel another 20 coming on ...

edit 1: another 20; that's 70 and counting ...
    edit 2: 20 more, just - 10 - more ...
    Get it!!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    deleteing the pushups almost makes it easier then if you just deleted the jumps.

i'm forever half assing my jumps on burpees tho lol. if you really put your all into each jump... yikes
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Since the idea is to improve fitness with this challenge, then do it whichever way you can. Some won't be able to do the push up and the vertical, but the idea is to work up to that.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]

such a great answer.
    hand release push ups, where you had to touch your chest down and lift your hands off the ground, were an 'obstacle' in the spartan race i did.

how many did you have to do?

I typically do mine with something else- like burpee- release- roll pike tuck- roll release- top portion- but even the straight ones seem to catch up to me- the first 10 or so are easier- but after that it seems harder.

I think part of that is how attentive you are to lifting in a plank verses just sloppily pushing yourself back up chest hips then butt and legs. If you actually do it the way you are supposed to- it gets really old.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    only had to do 20.

but wouldn't a push up where your chest touches the ground and then you immediately push up be harder then pausing on the floor?

agree that body postion can make it harder/easier
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    The rope climb could be tough if you're burnt by the time you get there and if you haven't done it before. If you wrap the rope around the outside of one leg and let it hang over that foot, all you need to do is bend your knees and stand on the rope that's on your foot with your other foot and stand up....then repeat. You will easily make it up the rope without needing your upper body

so you are pinching the rope between both feet and then using your legs to push up?

saw many doing that, some just scampered to the top, all arms

It was funny to see what type of guy could or could not do a certain obstacle. there was one where you had to hoist a bucket up via a rope and pulley. There was a guy that out weighted me by at least 20 lbs, probably a lot more and he needed a spot from one of the volunteers. then a guy who is like 2 heads taller then me, dosen't even attempt the 8 ft wall and immediately asks for help.

don't even get me started on the peeps that refused to do an obstacle and also skipped the burpees
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    like why pay 100 bucks if your going to do that ****
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The rope climb could be tough if you're burnt by the time you get there and if you haven't done it before. If you wrap the rope around the outside of one leg and let it hang over that foot, all you need to do is bend your knees and stand on the rope that's on your foot with your other foot and stand up....then repeat. You will easily make it up the rope without needing your upper body

so you are pinching the rope between both feet and then using your legs to push up?

saw many doing that, some just scampered to the top, all arms

It was funny to see what type of guy could or could not do a certain obstacle. there was one where you had to hoist a bucket up via a rope and pulley. There was a guy that out weighted me by at least 20 lbs, probably a lot more and he needed a spot from one of the volunteers. then a guy who is like 2 heads taller then me, dosen't even attempt the 8 ft wall and immediately asks for help.

don't even get me started on the peeps that refused to do an obstacle and also skipped the burpees

:huh:

Wow. And here I figured people would be too focused on their own stuff to get through the obstacles than to sit around judging everyone else.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    evidently you were wrong
  • JoRocka
    Options
    only had to do 20.

but wouldn't a push up where your chest touches the ground and then you immediately push up be harder then pausing on the floor?

agree that body postion can make it harder/easier

do you dead lift much? Because the principle is the same as why the very first pull is harder than the 2nd and 3rd and so forth.

Because you can only pre tension so much. The rest of the lift after the first dead lift- you ARE in tension. But the first one- you can only do so much to get you there.

Wow. And here I figured people would be too focused on their own stuff to get through the obstacles than to sit around judging everyone else.
    it's my understanding there are a number of people who have to wait at obstacles- despite all the planning- it still happens. And as you move through obstacles- the pack kind of sorts and filters- so you maybe outrunning someone- but get to an obstacle- then they can't do something and then skip teh burpees- they are now ahead of you- but you're in better shape- so you out run them and the cycle repeats at the next obstacle.

yeah that would annoy me.

If you pay to do an event. Do the damn event. Cheating yourself out of exercises is just nonsensical to me- i'd be irritated. But I rightly admit- it's a similar childish irritation of someone opening a car door on a motorcyclist lane splitting because- gosh it's just so unfair they can go and you are stuck.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

do you dead lift much? Because the principle is the same as why the very first pull is harder than the 2nd and 3rd and so forth.

Because you can only pre tension so much. The rest of the lift after the first dead lift- you ARE in tension. But the first one- you can only do so much to get you there.

i can count on my fingers the number of times i've dead lifted lol. which is probably why i don't really understand you.

i have had the experience of picking up a weight, puting it down, immediately picking it up again and it seeming to require somewhat less effort

it's my understanding there are a number of people who have to wait at obstacles- despite all the planning- it still happens. And as you move through obstacles- the pack kind of sorts and filters- so you maybe outrunning someone- but get to an obstacle- then they can't do something and then skip teh burpees- they are now ahead of you- but you're in better shape- so you out run them and the cycle repeats at the next obstacle.

yeah that would annoy me.

If you pay to do an event. Do the damn event. Cheating yourself out of exercises is just nonsensical to me- i'd be irritated. But I rightly admit- it's a similar childish irritation of someone opening a car door on a motorcyclist lane splitting because- gosh it's just so unfair they can go and you are stuck.

It wasn't even that, i was just flabbergasted that someone would pay 100 dollars +, and probably travel a few hours to NOT do something.

if you want to run a 5 K, just go run a 5 K lol

oh and there really aren't any lines, its basically most assertive goes first. that was actually my favorite part.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    i can count on my fingers the number of times i've dead lifted lol. which is probably why i don't really understand you.

i have had the experience of picking up a weight, puting it down, immediately picking it up again and it seeming to require somewhat less effort

which is why I asked (I really wasn't being snarky) LOL because if you don't deadlift- then it doesn't make as much sense.

But like- moving a box. or furniture- it's easier to move it and not set it down till you HAVE to- because picking it back up is more work. so yeah- similar concept.
    It wasn't even that, i was just flabbergasted that someone would pay 100 dollars +, and probably travel a few hours to NOT do something.

if you want to run a 5 K, just go run a 5 K lol

oh and there really aren't any lines, its basically most assertive goes first. that was actually my favorite part.
    yeah the whole concept of skipping would annoy me- but again- it comes from some faux righteous indignation with no justification- it's their money-they can spend it how they want it. If that's their idea of a good time- I guess more power to them ? LMAO