Weight Lifting Proper Form Question

New to MFP. Been weight lifting for quite a while, have learned much over time and realize the importance of proper form. I've been off my weight lifting wagon for a couple of months and trying to get back on and want to focus on proper form while lifting heavy to gain muscle. There seems to be a difference of opinion out there as to what is proper form. There's a fast movement to point of contraction, and slow to take advantage of the negative. There's slow to contraction and slower still while doing the negative. There's holding the contraction for a second or two, and other suggested techniques.

What is proper form? Is there a definitive answer to this?

Replies

• agapter
    agapter Posts: 2 Member
    I mostly crossfit for exercise, but started doing the wendler 5/3/1 cycle to get stronger and it is AMAZING. Your questions about how slow/fast to point of contraction are almost irrelevant on this program. Google Wendler 5/3/1 and try it for the full cycle. I improved my deadlift from 205 - 235, benh press from 95 - 110, back squat from 185 - 205 and strict press from 75 - 85. Some of my male workout partners increased significantly more than me. If you want to build, and get way stronger, you should definitely give this a shot. PLUS - eat a ton of protein :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    i'd say that this isn't technically form and more like tempo

And i'd say they are all correct but serve diffrent, generally sports specific purposes. For instance, if you're a lineman or a boxer then you'd probably want a faster positive motion for more explosive power.

The only thing that would be wrong (and i don't think you mentioned it) would be to do the negative motion so fast that your not resisting it at all and basically just letting gravity do it. its not going to work you as well has some obvious dangers.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    It sounds to me like your question is more about TUT (Time Under Tension) not form. Form needs to be good, regardless of how fast or low a rep goes up.

Personally, for the heavy compounds (Bench, Deadlift, Squat, etc.) my goal is just to move the weight, with good form. I'm not too worried about the speed in which I do it. Now when it comes to isolation work - Curls, Tricep Extensions, etc. I tend to use more of a TUT rep scheme - 4-1-2. Some may think it's B.S. but for hypertrophy I personally think it's beneficial.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    slow/fast in your descent is not as relative as control. if you can descend fast but still be under control you can take more advantage of the stretch reflex at the bottom to help out of the hole. slow and controlled (negative) can be just as useful and important in its own right. i personally use both methods depending where i am in my cycle. ill do very slow and controlled descent with a pause at the bottom to really build power that doesnt rely on the stretch reflex for assistance. in turn i will also do speed reps when its called for. with either way, just make sure you are in control of the weight at all times.
  • So, there isn't a right way as long as the weight is under control, and I do have the weight under control. What about the importance of holding the contraction? Lately my focus has been a second or two to contraction, hold the contraction for a second or so, then 2 seconds or so doing the negative.

Comments? Suggestions?
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    pause reps are great for building strength and power. ill use bench press as an example...... after you properly set up under the bar, unrack the weight, slowly lower weight to your chest but stop about 1" above your chest. pause for a couple seconds, then press the weight with as much power and speed and you can. rinse and repeat. this is technically referred to as a "spoto press"