weight loss from running. success?

Options
13»

Replies

• mnardi123
    mnardi123 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've lost 52lbs. over the last year. When I first started jogging I started on a treadmill and couldn't go faster than 4 mph and didn't burn more than 300 calories but don't give up! It's a long process but I found a running group through my local YMCA and it feels great to run a 5K while talking to people and not be winded. As for the toning, you will have to do something like weights or Pilates to tone or the bottom of your arms will still "wave back" to people.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am doing C25K again ( I ran my first race about 3 years ago). I like it but it is not the only thing I do. I also do Cycling or spinning which I love. Like everyone has said find something that you like. I am by no means an expert on this weight loss thing but running is cardio and any cardio will aid in weight loss. Eating at a deficit is what makes the weight come off. I know for me if I run or spin and overeat then I won't lose weight. If you like running keep it up but any exercise along with eating at a deficit is going to help in losing weight. Good luck
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Combine weight training with running, I lost most of my body fat on the weeks I cut my running/cardio and did 3 -4 days of weight training. Running is good for losing weight with a flabby body but weight training is what can make your fat melt away. Every one is different and I have seen people get ripped with just running.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    the biggest mistake people make is thinking that the C25K program is burning masses of calories - it is not - in the first few weeks you are covering maybe a mile and half each of the 3 days - so 4.5 miles a week - at approx 100 calls per mile - 450 calls per WEEK - 7 weeks to burn 1 lb at that rate - even at the end when to get to 3 miles - 3 times a week - 900 calls per week - still 3.5 weeks t burn a pound

Sorry - c25K is a fitness / running program - not an aid to weight loss
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Should I run every day? Or have rest days? I walk to and from work every day which is a 2 mile round trip also.

Take a rest! I started running in January at around 225 and never having done more than was required in high school. I was into it, I was motivated and and after about a month I hit a wall. Couldn't finish a 1 mile run, and my feet, hips, calves would quit on me. A buddy of mine who is a serious runner asked me when was my rest day. That's when the light turned on. You've got to give yourself time to bounce back. Now what I try to do is two days and a break. I mix the type of running I do as well, from steady pace, to interval, then to one hellish long run. Some solid advice in considering the weight training as well. Best of luck OP.
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    For me, running works the best for losing weight. I completed C25K last Summer and it was wonderful! I never, ever thought I could become a runner! If you're using the same program I did, which has you run 3 days a week, I would suggest doing some other exercise on your day off that involves some sort of weight training. I just use dumbbells since I have no access to the gym. I was also doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred at the time. Altogether I lost over 20 pounds in a little over two months. Now that the weather is nice I'm back to running.
  • AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    the biggest mistake people make is thinking that the C25K program is burning masses of calories - it is not - in the first few weeks you are covering maybe a mile and half each of the 3 days - so 4.5 miles a week - at approx 100 calls per mile - 450 calls per WEEK - 7 weeks to burn 1 lb at that rate - even at the end when to get to 3 miles - 3 times a week - 900 calls per week - still 3.5 weeks t burn a pound

I've done level 1 4 times this week so far. I intended on just running every day (maybe Sunday as a rest day) as I'm enjoying it. I've also been eating around 1300 - 1600 calories a day so there's a bit of a defecit there, im not just depending on C25K. Just don't know if Im doing everything right, if Im eating too much/not enough etc etc.

I know its all trial and error but its frustrating! :/
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I disagree! Although you aren't burning nearly as many calories at the beginning of the program as you are at the end of the program, it most definitely can work as an aid to weight loss. Just make sure that you are logging your food and eating at your suggested calorie level. Any bit of exercise will help when you're just starting out. Like I said before, I would incorporate some other form of exercise the days you don't run but make sure you take a rest day! I'm living proof that this program is effective, you just have to be determined enough to finish it & you can do it!
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Running has really helped me meet health (and weight) goals that I previously thought were unobtainable. However, after 2+ years of running, I'm still learning about proper form/stretching so I don't injure joints and muscles. Running is awesome when progress and improvements happen week after week. For me, the difficulty comes when injury creeps in and I don't know how to adjust and when to lace up my running shoes and get back out there. It's during those times I also notice the scale getting higher so sometimes I push too hard instead of resting or adjusting my calories.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K program as well except that I'm doing each day twice so that I can run 6x a week instead of 3. You could always do another program along with it. I'm going to start the Jillian Michaels 6 weeks 6 pack myself.
  • agirlsoprano
    agirlsoprano Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be encouraged, the weight you gained is probably muscle! When you first start working out it's normal to gain weight initially because you are building muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. When I started running I noticed my waist size went down before my weight did.

As for weighing yourself daily, pardon my bluntness, PLEASE STOP. Due to various factors our weight fluctuates day to day, and that can be so discouraging. Once a week is plenty, and it will be more encouraging. I recommend you pick one day a week to weigh yourself, it's best if you do it at the same time each week. For example, I weigh myself every Saturday after my morning work out. Over the weeks you will be encouraged to see your weight going down steadily instead of the daily up and down.

Hang in there, keep up the hard work, and you will see and feel results soon:smile:
  • hoppa321
    hoppa321 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It's been a few years since I did that program, but I remember it wasn't until I hit the longer running less walking weeks that I started to notice a weight change. I would say to follow the program closely and not to do too much too fast. After you complete C25K you can start a 5k training program like Hal Higdon which will be more intensive & incorporate speed training & help make you a faster runner. Within a year of starting C25K I was running 5ks, 10ks, and half marathons. Love running!
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Right, I know, but the fuel I needed to run for an hour or more at a fast pace, and the appetite it gave me, was like no other exercise I've ever done. I'm sticking with cross training/ group classes, and HIIT for now.

I can identify with this. Since I started upping my miles in preparation for my marathon next week I saw some gain, and the hunger brought on by any run of 45 minutes or more is not something you want to ignore.

That said I wouldnt give up the running for the sake of a couple of kg. One can always get things back in check with a month or so of harsher MFP regime.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!