Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Question about carbs and fruit

Do carbs count if they come from fresh no sugar added fruit? Many of my daily carbs come from fresh fruit. If I am under my calorie goal but over my carb goal because of fruit, should I be worried?

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Do you have blood sugar problems? Are you trying to maintain a low carb diet? If no, then no, you shouldn't be worried about it.
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Yes, they count. No, I wouldn't worry about carbs from whole, fresh fruit.

Carbs from Starbuck's drinks and sweets, however...
  • tayloripeterson
    tayloripeterson Posts: 10 Member
    No blood sugar problems, but when I see my carb count turn red, it just seems like a bad sign. Currently the carb macro I have set is from my nutritionist. ( I will ask her this same question at my next appointment) but do you think it is ok to go over in carbs if it is from fruit? Just limit carbs from white bread, refined sugars, ect?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Do carbs count if they come from fresh no sugar added fruit? Many of my daily carbs come from fresh fruit. If I am under my calorie goal but over my carb goal because of fruit, should I be worried?

Do you meet your protein numbers? Do you meet your fat numbers? If you are behind in these numbers you may want to cut back on carbs. Protein helps you keep lean muscle, and dietary fat is necessary for many bodily functions.

MFP counts ALL sugars as sugar....dairy products have maltose (a form of sugar). Sugars are carbs. Unless you need to watch your sugar (ie: medical issues)....or watch your carbs (again medical issues) you can either ignore the numbers.....or change your set up to track something else.

I try to focus on protein & I track fiber instead of sugar.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Yes, they count. If you're over eating carbs -- even from fruit and vegetables -- you're underrating fat and protein which is not something you want to make a habit of. Fat and protein are essential so you might want to make them your priority.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    No blood sugar problems, but when I see my carb count turn red, it just seems like a bad sign. Currently the carb macro I have set is from my nutritionist. ( I will ask her this same question at my next appointment) but do you think it is ok to go over in carbs if it is from fruit? Just limit carbs from white bread, refined sugars, ect?

Like others have said, make sure you hit your fat and protein targets for the day, but is there a specific reason why you want to cut out refined sugars and bread? They're not bad for you, if that's what you're thinking.
  • tayloripeterson
    I am getting plenty of protein and I hit my fat macro everyday. I don't think that is a problem.
  • tayloripeterson

Like others have said, make sure you hit your fat and protein targets for the day, but is there a specific reason why you want to cut out refined sugars and bread? They're not bad for you, if that's what you're thinking.

I prefer "healthier" and more filling options such as complex carbs, whole wheat. Its just what my family has decided to eat. I also prefer honey to refined sugar, just preference. Everything in moderation.
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    It only matters if you are trying to hit a very specific macronutrient ratio, which is of matter only if you want to follow an specific diet or you are an athlete looking for performance.

Healthy can be maintained with almost every macronutrient ratio plus food variety. The default MFP ratios are perfectly fine for that. If you are not in any of those two situations I wouldn't worry at all.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member

They count, they're carbs. Most fruits are medium to high on the glycemic index. If your nutritionist set a carb limit, and if you want to follow her advice, they count. As a diabetic, I have to be careful around fruit, but berries are mostly ok. I'd ask her though, because when she says carbs, and you don't have a blood sugar problem, she very well might mean refined carbs.