Timing of eating

Options
Hi guys -
I've been on MFP for about a month, doing pretty well so far sticking to my calorie goals, exercising daily. My question is in the timing of what I eat. It's "classical" diet tips to say always eat breakfast and to avoid late-night snacking. Because of my schedule (I work evenings so I wake up 10am-noon and go to sleep 3-4am) I often end up skipping breakfast and it takes me a while to get hungry so I usually pack on the most calories closer to bed time.
If I stick under my calorie goal, does it really matter when I eat? Any other breakfast skippers out there who are still successful?

Thanks!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You must try to only eat when you are awake.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Meal timing will not affect your weight loss.

It may affect your mood, concentration, energy levels, or gym performance throughout the day.

Feel free to eat in whatever pattern makes you feel the best, fits in your schedule, and helps you stick to your calorie goals.
  • Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Same calories/different times would make no difference.

I think the reason there are a lot of weight loss tips to eat breakfast, not eat past [insert number] pm are more for hunger etc. - for some people not eating breakfast/leaving too long between meals will mean they get hungry by their next meal and potentially overeat.

But whatever times work for you will be fine as long as the calories add up!