Getting emotional at the gym?

Options
Please tell me if any of you all have this problem!

When I'm at the gym, especially on the treadmill, I get really emotional. I'm not having emotional thoughts really, but I feel like I'm going to cry even though I'm not in any sort of pain . . .

Thankfully it doesn't actually develop into crying but I would feel a lot better knowing it happens to other people. Thanks in advance for any replies~

Yes, I'm a woman and not that it is any of your business but: it is not my time of the month so that's not the reason.

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

When I'm at the gym, especially on the treadmill, I get really emotional. I'm not having emotional thoughts really, but I feel like I'm going to cry even though I'm not in any sort of pain . . .

Thankfully it doesn't actually develop into crying but I would feel a lot better knowing it happens to other people. Thanks in advance for any replies~

Yes, I'm a woman and not that it is any of your business but: it ISN'T my time of the month so that's not the reason.

Wow. Defensive much? No one had even responded yet, so let's chill out just a hair.

Beyond that, I have no idea how to help. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm a woman and not that it is any of your business but: it ISN'T my time of the month so that's not the reason.

Maybe it's endorphins kicking in? Emotional sad or...? I notice I sometimes get emotional during a workout but it's just listening to great music and being thoroughly happy, really in the moment, feeling like I'm in my element :)

Time of month is actually pretty relevant with a randomly emotional female, thanks for noticing and addressing up front!
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow. Defensive much? No one had even responded yet, so let's chill out just a hair.

I don't think I was being outlandish. One of the first responses a woman gets if they say they're upset is, "Are you PMSing?" or something flippant like "go buy some tampons." Then again, I'm 22, and I mostly hang out around younger guys, so that's probably why.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    hmmm I once got all super proud of myself for getting a PR deadlift
  • Janautical
    Options
    Maybe it's endorphins kicking in? Emotional sad or...? I notice I sometimes get emotional during a workout but it's just listening to great music and being thoroughly happy, really in the moment, feeling like I'm in my element :)

Time of month is actually pretty relevant with a randomly emotional female, thanks for noticing and addressing up front!
    That makes a lot of sense. It's more like an "overwhelmed" feeling, not necessarily sad, so the endorphins thing probably is the reason why. Thanks!
  • mbennett024
    mbennett024 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me a couple times during intense workouts, idk why though.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I do it. When I think how far I've come...how hard I've worked...and what I'll look like when all is said and done. I leak happy tears. I cried after I crossed the finish line of my first 5K and I'm tearing up now remembering it. But then it just happened Saturday.

I'm not even PMsing anymore either. LOL.
  • CassieFerriss
    Options
    I've experienced this. I blame a build up of stress that gets released when I did cardio. Mine passed in 5 minutes or so.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

The OP's statement didn't strike me as defensive at all. :confused:

I get emotional when I work out too. I don't know why. I would guess it has something to do with endorphins and/or a subconscious emotional state you're in (as in, all you're telling yourself is "I'm doing really well! This is faster than I went last week!" But in that statement there's a hidden emotional "I've come so far! I have worked so hard and it's paying off!" Or "I'm working so hard and I am afraid I'll never get to xyz goal!" Or something.)
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i think it could be the endorphins getting released, and when exercising you have a lot of time to think as well- anything that's on your mind that you dont have much time to think about during your day might hang around your mind. i have cried on the treadmill at the gym a few times- (luckily nobody noticed).
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

That makes a lot of sense. It's more like an "overwhelmed" feeling, not necessarily sad, so the endorphins thing probably is the reason why. Thanks!

I do feel sort of "high" when running outside...I suffer from light depression from time to time but every time when I hit the road, I feel there's nothing I can't do in this world...you know...not necesarily wanted to cry but a different feeling than feeling sorry about myself.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Omg it's not just me then?

Feels much happier :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've never, ever heard of this, but I think it's kind of interesting. :ohwell:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Does this happen at other times as well? If so, perhaps something else is going on that would warrant further investigation. The endorphin/stress release explanations sound logical otherwise.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    don't think I was being outlandish. One of the first responses a woman gets if they say they're upset is, "Are you PMSing?" or something flippant like "go buy some tampons."

Oh man, I was just about to suggest you go buy some crampons...you know, give ice climbing a try. Now I feel weird saying that though.

Seriously though as to your issue its hard for me to comment knowledgeably as I have never personally experienced that. Is it possible that your weight or appearance is an emotional hot button for you and so to finally be in a gym actively doing something towards your health is just on some deep subconscious level a very emotional thing for you?

With anything I'd just say give it time, it may pass as this becomes more routine for you.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Does this happen at other times as well? If so, perhaps something else is going on that would warrant further investigation. The endorphin/stress release explanations sound logical otherwise.

For me no but occasionally near the end of a workout I feel a bit teary for a few moments and it passes. I just thought it was me haha!
  • Janautical
    Options
    I think some times it might be emotional related. Like, today, I saw a chubby young girl working out with a trainer, and I got very emotional because well, that's what I used to be, but I hated myself too much to do anything about it and battled with abuse and binge eating. But most of the time, I'm not really thinking about anything in particular, so I think it has to do with the endorphins.

Everyone, thank you so much for your input, it makes me feel much better to know I'm not alone in this!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

If you have no idea how to help, then why chime in about the way she phrases a question?

OP, yes, it has happened to me. In fact, it happened to me yesterday in the squat rack when I failed on the last rep of a squat going for a PR. My CNS was firing, and I kind of became overwhelmed with emotion. You will see it sometimes in sporting events. It happens to a lot of people. Some people feel elated, some feel overwhelmed, and some become aggressive or a little angry.

Blame the endocrine system. Some people get more an endorphin surge, some get more adrenaline.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Do you work out at the beginning or the end of the day? I could totally see it being a response to letting go (or processing) the stress of the day.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I sort of get it if I'm able to get solid shots in on a bigger, faster, and higher ranking male but that might just be me trying not to gloat. Gloating would be bad. I'd get my butt handed to me if I gloated.

I don't really know, but being emotional about making it to the gym and feeling really overwhelmed that you are there, making progress, sounds pretty reasonable.