I want some support to go Rocky

Options
May 19, 2014 3:03 PM
Hi everyone, I tried MFP last year for one week but could not let go the old habits. Yesterday I realized that the only size that fitted me is 3XL or 20W. So I am here. Tto make it count this time, I would like to find some support to get my body and my mind back on track. I am 42 years old and I weight 226 pounds (102 kg), so there is a long journey ahead me. My main problem is that I have a sedentary work, I don’t work out yet and I eat too much bread, pastry, candies. I am also kind of lazy but I am determined to change all of this. I will enroll on the gym at the corner of my house tomorrow. My main concern this time is my health. Last week a got some blood tests and I have a very elevated level of cholesterol (298) This combined with my Apnea - poor sleep problem, can cause later serious permanent damage in my body. Both are related with my obesity. So I would love to have some supportive friends this time if you don’t mind my grammar mistakes (English is not my first language), please feel free to add me. I have decided to loose 30 pounds until october of this year, go to the ROCKY BALBOA stairs on Philadelphia and ran up it in a blink of an eye. This is impossible today because of my weight, body pain and lack of flexibility. To get there I will start walking regularly (five times per week), track my food and slowly lose some weight. I am not doing any major changes in my diet right now, just control the portion and watch calories. I will be very happy if I could have some support to get there. Thanks anyway and good luck with your weight loss journey as well. But it will be even better if we could do it together : )

Replies

• SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere and every person here was once in your shoes, making the decision that it is time for a lifestyle change. Start logging everyday, no matter if you stick to your plan or not. Even going over on calories provides information to learn from and believe me, this will be an ongoing learning process.

After logging for a couple of weeks, evaluate how you're doing. Are you meeting or exceeding your goal? If you went over, what was it that put you over on calories and what substitute could you make next time as a better choice? Are you getting enough protein? If no, then what can you add or change to give you more protein? It's a work in progress and you'll be constantly learning.

Be persistent and don't give up. If you eat something you feel you shouldn't have, don't let that be reason for blowing the entire day. And exercise becomes easier the more you do it. I find it very inspiring to see those extra available calories appear on my log. It's a great way to give yourself extra calories when you want a treat.
  • Drigiani
    Drigiani Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks a lot Sharon! Your reply was helpfull and made me realize that I can walk this journey! It will be more about not giving up them pursuing perfection. See that others are in this same track, help me a lot as well. Thanks!
  • TabithaRyan68
    TabithaRyan68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    I agree with everything Sharon said.
    If it goes in the mouth it should go in your log.
    The first few weeks of being on MFP is to see what is working for you. Are you losing weight with your current lifestyle? If yes, keep going, if no, then look at where you need changes. Less calories, more exercise.
    Everything needs to be done in baby steps. Maybe do some walking every second day for at least 20 minutes, then build up to 30, then everyday, then working out. Just a suggestion mind you.
    I would also suggest making your diary public. Only your friends see it and we can be more encouraging and helpful if we can see what you are eating.
    I'm glad you friended me and I hope I can be of some help.
    Together we will be triumphant!!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So I'm in a pretty similar boat and just want to toss out that for me, it's been REALLY helpful to remind myself not to use my weight induced medical conditions as an excuse not to lose weight.

When I started I would sit on the recumbent bike at the gym and pedal around for half an hour feeling great about the effort. I was fat and this was excercise. It was great.

But the truth is I just took the most cozy seat in the house and wasn't really pushing it because I was big and big people need to go slow. So I moved to the upright bike at the gym and it was a little more effort but still I was holding back because I thought I should.

Now I take the pedal bike out and instead of sitting comfortably in the nice air conditioned gym I pedal a real bike into the winds and actually get a real workout. While I could only stand a half hour to an hour at the gym going no where, on the real bike I keep moving for two or three hours and see 20 - 30 miles of my world.

The point is not to go buy a bike but to really push yourself and not fall into a mindset where you find the easiest thing and just do that.

Best of luck!
  • fluffyrn12
    fluffyrn12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and weigh 227. Let's do this together! :) We can do this.