cut the SUGAR out

Options
1141516171820»

Replies

• whatchalookinat
    Options
    url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=Ap-TBnswlDB_mM&tbnid=7QId87Gk9aK19M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fthemetapicture.com%2Fbunnies-in-cups%2F&ei=2aWGU7zIFpbgoASEtYL4Bw&bvm=bv.67720277,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNH13m_TuYP_tc1-7vtuazU9UFNeBQ&ust=1401419542510265
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    A BIG thing I have found to reduce sugar is to read all the labels on food. For instance, I purchase Greek yogurt that has less than 12 grams of sugar in it per serving. Too much sugar...for me...makes my heart race. It is amazing how much hidden sugar is in our food, and by reading labels, you can make better choices. Regular Yogurt can have as much as 30 grams of sugar in a serving. And for those of us watching calories and avoiding sugar, it does add up fast. It does take some time to go "sugar free" if you will. You will go through withdrawals, headaches, cravings and such. The more sugar that is in your diet, the more you crave. Start slowly and start reducing the amount your eating. I use Stevia in baking and on fruits, if they need just a little more sweetening. Also, others have commented that HFCS ( high fructose corn syrup) is bad, and it is. It's also hidden in foods.
    While I perceive that as being true for you, it does not mean it's true for others. Some people are totally healthy and have no problems with sugar. In fact, sugar in of and itself is not bad, and how much the average person--average meaning someone who does not have blood sugar problems or other medical issues dictating sugar intake--is individual preference.

As for me, If I eat boatloads of sugary stuff, namely sweets (candy, cookies, cake), I too will get a racing heart and an eventual headache, and a few other symptoms I don't care to mention. But, that is just me. Many people I know can eat more sugar than what makes my heart race and they function just fine without the symptoms I get However, this past year I have learned how to do portion control, therefore I do still eat some sugar, but in moderation. For example, I've found some lactose free chocolate ice cream and I'm happy as a lark. I portion it out to what I want within my calorie goals.

This is not directed to you, but I see way too much propaganda advocating that sugar is the root of all evil. Yes, there is quite a bit of sugar in processed foods, including high fructose syrup which can send me into a weirdo tailspin, but that is about me and no one else. I think it's silly to project our own stuff about certain foods onto society as a whole.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    What you just said is complete rubbish. 1800 calories of healthy food is not the same as 1800 calories of bad food. Would you like to point me to a someone in peek condition, who spends their life working on their body. That piles down a whole pile of junk food and have their health at an optimum level. I'm sorry it just does not work that way. Plus more importantly what about health! If the op starts consuming 1800 calories of junk food he is hardly going to feel good or have good energy levels.

No one is arguing in favor of a diet with an extreme amount of sugar (okay, someone out there probably is but ignore it if you see it). What many of us are arguing in favor of is moderation. If one focuses on a healthy calorie count (which can be gaining or losing) and hits solid macro numbers, i.e. plenty of protein, a variety of fats, and sufficient fiber while eating enough fruits and vegetables to satisfy micronutrient needs, then there is no reason to worry about sugar intake. Absolutist diets such as cutting out ALL sugar are not sustainable, and frankly, I'd argue that they aren't helping anyone's mental health either. It's about balance. That said, I get removing "trigger foods" temporarily to learn self control.

This.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What you just said is complete rubbish. 1800 calories of healthy food is not the same as 1800 calories of bad food. Would you like to point me to a someone in peek condition, who spends their life working on their body. That piles down a whole pile of junk food and have their health at an optimum level. I'm sorry it just does not work that way. Plus more importantly what about health! If the op starts consuming 1800 calories of junk food he is hardly going to feel good or have good energy levels.

To the op if you want to cut down on sugar you should eat good fats instead. It helps to curb the cravings. So if you start craving something sweet eat a small piece of cheese or have some butter on toast. Good fats to eat would be olive oil, avocado and almonds. It will help with those sugar cravings in the first few weeks. Rest assured it will get better after two weeks and you will have so much more energy. Not to mention you will sleep better and you will eat less food. This is because your body will regulate its self better and you wont be over eating like sugar makes you do.

Also avoid low fat foods at all cost. Its no secret that those foods a packed full of sugar to give it flavor.

Like other people have said drinking plenty of water is a life saver.

Also going for a walk or some incidental exercise helps to stop cravings as well. As exercise is an appetite suppressant.

Also if you want a treat with sugar have some dark chocolate instead. Chocolate has fat in it so while your getting sugar you wont go over board while eating it because of the fat content will stop you.

One last thing its ok to have an occasional treat but make sure you or someone in your family bakes it from scratch. Just to avoid all the nasty preservatives and additives in food.

Good luck in reducing your sugar in take and you can do this. Your mind is far more powerful than a craving for sugar.

P.S I also learnt from personal experience if you make baked sweet treats but the next day your craving more. That is the big sign that body is becoming re-addicted so its much better to stop at that point then keep going.
    Usain Bolt ate nothing but chicken mcnuggets during the Olympics. Michael Phelps ate 12,000 calories of essentially junk food while he won 8 gold medals and set world records. Your argument is completely flawed.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

To the op if you want to cut down on sugar you should eat good fats instead. It helps to curb the cravings. So if you start craving something sweet eat a small piece of cheese or have some butter on toast. Good fats to eat would be olive oil, avocado and almonds. It will help with those sugar cravings in the first few weeks. Rest assured it will get better after two weeks and you will have so much more energy. Not to mention you will sleep better and you will eat less food. This is because your body will regulate its self better and you wont be over eating like sugar makes you do.

Also avoid low fat foods at all cost. Its no secret that those foods a packed full of sugar to give it flavor.

Like other people have said drinking plenty of water is a life saver.

Also going for a walk or some incidental exercise helps to stop cravings as well. As exercise is an appetite suppressant.

Also if you want a treat with sugar have some dark chocolate instead. Chocolate has fat in it so while your getting sugar you wont go over board while eating it because of the fat content will stop you.

One last thing its ok to have an occasional treat but make sure you or someone in your family bakes it from scratch. Just to avoid all the nasty preservatives and additives in food.

Good luck in reducing your sugar in take and you can do this. Your mind is far more powerful than a craving for sugar.

P.S I also learnt from personal experience if you make baked sweet treats but the next day your craving more. That is the big sign that body is becoming re-addicted so its much better to stop at that point then keep going.
    Usain Bolt ate nothing but chicken mcnuggets during the Olympics. Michael Phelps ate 12,000 calories of essentially junk food while he won 8 gold medals and set world records. Your argument is completely flawed.

I'm pro sugar and eat carbs by the boat load...I found this about Usain...just out of interest

Given Bolt's love of chicken nuggets and wings, the gold-medal winner's personal chef has his work cut out to ensure that his body remains rock-hard. One secret weapon: yams. The superfood (only 177 cals per cup) packs 34 percent of your daily vitamin C requirement (which fights post-workout muscle inflammation), 40 percent of vitamin B6 (a natural energy booster), and 26 percent of daily potassium requirements (a key electrolyte). "I could indulge any time I want," Bolt says. "But I try to go for long periods, maybe three months, without any fast food. The older you get, the better you have to eat." (Pictured, left: Bolt at the 2012 London Olympic Games)

A Typical Day's Meals
    Breakfast: Ackee and saltfish (a traditional Jamaican dish) with dumplings, cooked banana, yellow yam, and potato.
    Lunch: Pasta and chicken breast.
    Dinner: Rice and peas with pork.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Of the tragic, avoidable deaths across the country, one cause stands out well beyond all others.

[snipped]

And the second leading cause of death is uncited copypasta plagiarism.

I suspect that Zack McMillin would appreciate it if you would give him credit for his 12/30/2009 work.

For some reason, you omitted the conclusion of his article though:
    Advocates stress that while some fatal accidents are tragically unavoidable, there are factors that can increase or reduce risk.

Memphis personal-injury lawyer James Ferrell offers five tips:

— Pay attention: Eliminate distractions so that you are more aware of surroundings.

— Don't speed: Decreases in reaction time combined with increases in energy released on impact make each mile above the speed limit ever more dangerous.

— Wear your seatbelt.

— Communicate while you drive: Use signals, make gradual lane transitions, take your time to brake, give yourself plenty of driving room.

— Keep space and pace: Tailgaters aren't just annoying, they're dangerous. Create predictability with consistent speeds. Give mergers plenty of space.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/dec/30/danger-of-driving-underrated/
  • StarPlatinumORA
    StarPlatinumORA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing on the radio a man talking about his experience with weight loss. He had been a heroin addict earlier in his life but came off that. But he said he actually found it harder to reduce/cut out sugar than his heroin. I guess it's different for everyone...

For me, I've been told I have Type 2, so I need to reduce sugar as much as possible - but even I don't need to eat NO sugar at all, I just have to reduce my portions down. I think my main hurdle is losing weight (I wasn't aware, but just being overweight can make it harder for your insulin to work - I had no idea...) but if I need to trim more sugar, I have places to do that. (Switch my fromage frais for less sugary yoghurt, etc etc)

In short, I don't think it's a totally stupid and weird thing to want to cut out added sugar. But at the same time, as long as you're mindful of what you're eating, and try to have natural sugar instead wherever possible (i.e. fruit), it's fine. That's what this place is for! :)
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For me personally it is the reduction of added sugar. That means for me less processed foods, and using less sugar in my coffee and finding alternatives in recipes. In my experience the more you have it the more you crave it, and so I feel better and desire it less by eating less added sugar. Let’s be clear there is a difference between Oreos and an apple, mainly fiber and enzymes that are not found processed crap which cause a slow release of insulin when you eat fruit vs. crap. That’s why you can eat a package of Oreo’s and still goes back for more (i.e. lacking fiber and enzymes) vs. eating an apple and being content with one.
    On a side note I stopped using artificial sweeteners which I also believe contribute to the increased cravings. So I am ok with using the real thing in moderation.
    I constantly read labels because we have Celiac, dairy and other food allergies in the house and so I am aware of all the great names sugar, gluten and dairy can be labeled as, and its mind blowing.
    We have made an effort to buy from local farms through a CSA’s and buy 1/4 cow and butchers hog. We try to limit what we buy from the store to what’s necessary.
    I think it’s being more mindful and taking a balanced approach.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Just some food (cake?) for thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y7Ov7Smk9g

Danny Keane ingesting a large amount of evil sugar...4 days before his bodybuilding competition.
  • NOMORECARS
    NOMORECARS Posts: 156
    Options
    Of the tragic, avoidable deaths across the country, one cause stands out well beyond all others.

[snipped]

And the second leading cause of death is uncited copypasta plagiarism.

I suspect that Zack McMillin would appreciate it if you would give him credit for his 12/30/2009 work.

For some reason, you omitted the conclusion of his article though:
    Advocates stress that while some fatal accidents are tragically unavoidable, there are factors that can increase or reduce risk.

Memphis personal-injury lawyer James Ferrell offers five tips:

— Pay attention: Eliminate distractions so that you are more aware of surroundings.

— Don't speed: Decreases in reaction time combined with increases in energy released on impact make each mile above the speed limit ever more dangerous.

— Wear your seatbelt.

— Communicate while you drive: Use signals, make gradual lane transitions, take your time to brake, give yourself plenty of driving room.

— Keep space and pace: Tailgaters aren't just annoying, they're dangerous. Create predictability with consistent speeds. Give mergers plenty of space.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/dec/30/danger-of-driving-underrated/

I was just trying to make a point that there will never be a cure for obesity in America because Americans will risk death to avoid any movement which, in itself is a major cause of obesity.
  • Drlaugh
    Drlaugh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started picking out one item.

Picked cookies to eliminate.

It's been over. 9 years

The result I ate more of everything else.
    3 + years ago, I gave up all the other sweet desserts.

Good luck.
  • cracklinrosi
    Options
    If I am having a bad sugar craving, what I do is have a tablespoon of honey from our local grower. I keep it my mouth for a few minutes, and the craving subsides. Natural, local honey is a lot better for you than indulging in a sugary treat which contains more than the sugar you're craving.
  • cracklinrosi
    Options
    For me personally it is the reduction of added sugar. That means for me less processed foods, and using less sugar in my coffee and finding alternatives in recipes. In my experience the more you have it the more you crave it, and so I feel better and desire it less by eating less added sugar. Let’s be clear there is a difference between Oreos and an apple, mainly fiber and enzymes that are not found processed crap which cause a slow release of insulin when you eat fruit vs. crap. That’s why you can eat a package of Oreo’s and still goes back for more (i.e. lacking fiber and enzymes) vs. eating an apple and being content with one.
    On a side note I stopped using artificial sweeteners which I also believe contribute to the increased cravings. So I am ok with using the real thing in moderation.
    I constantly read labels because we have Celiac, dairy and other food allergies in the house and so I am aware of all the great names sugar, gluten and dairy can be labeled as, and its mind blowing.
    We have made an effort to buy from local farms through a CSA’s and buy 1/4 cow and butchers hog. We try to limit what we buy from the store to what’s necessary.
    I think it’s being more mindful and taking a balanced approach.

Agree with what you said. We have the same here: my husband is allergic to artificial sweeteners and I have food allergies, so I read EVERY label. Very time consuming, but a necessary evil in our household. I've gradually moved from everything in a package to very little in a package, and that's mostly pop and chips when we're entertaining. I agree with your comment on artificial sweeteners increasing cravings, because I believe your body is looking for energy which is being represented to you as a sugar craving. Everything in moderation and variety as well is the key.
  • cracklinrosi
    Options
    Well, this topic will go on forever with every opinion. I did not mean to imply that sugar is EVIL or that I NEVER, EVER have it. But those who watch their sugar intake will also automatically and without trying to follow a "diet" can lose weight simply by cutting out lots of sugar and the "junk" carbs. If you consume a lot of it, you might as well give yourself a huge dose of insulin, which = fat storing hormone. I steer clear of everything I know is loaded ... sugared cereal, cookies, cakes, etc. as well as TRANS fats. After a few weeks of this, I rarely have cravings for it. And no, all sugar is not equal. Someone (don't even recall what product it's for) runs a commercial where the person makes a statement that "sugar is sugar". That's not true. I'm not much of a fruit person, but I have the fruits I like (which happen to be some of the lowest sugar ones...strawberries, watermelon) but this natural sugar is not the same as the high fructose "CHEAP" sugar in processed junk food and hidden in lots of other foods so they don't have to list "SUGAR" as a top ingredient. There are studies that show the "CHEAP" high fructose syrup sugar inhibits our hormones from signalling the brain when we're full. And people who keep eating or eat when not hungry...which = gaining weight - what do people tend to eat when they're not really hungry...SUGAR or salt. Staying conscious of how much sugar you consume and being aware of it - helps you eat healthy without feeling deprived, it becomes a lifestyle and not a 'diet'.

Agree with you. I have several family members who are Type II diabetic, and it's all due to their diet: pop, chips, white bread, cookies, sugary cereals, etc. One teaspoon of sugar in your coffee or tea a day won't kill you, but eating all that other stuff will. I recently measured out the amount of sugar in a 710mL of cola into a measuring CUP. That's right. There was 3/4 cup of sugar in that 710mL bottle of cola. I also measured out the amount of salt and sugar in a bag of corn chips. I took pictures. When I feel like "treating" myself, I look at those pictures. Craving, gone! I stay as close to natural foods as I can, but do make desserts for special occasions.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If I am having a bad sugar craving, what I do is have a tablespoon of honey from our local grower. I keep it my mouth for a few minutes, and the craving subsides. Natural, local honey is a lot better for you than indulging in a sugary treat which contains more than the sugar you're craving.

lol - how is honey any more natural than sugar, which comes from sugar cane or sugar beets? Besides, this whole line of reasoning is fallacious, particularly of the appeal to nature variety. You "believe" honey is better so it is. If you ate as much honey as your family eats sugar you would have the same problems. The focus must be on moderation, not the type of sugar you are consuming.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    OP, thanks for sharing what works for you.

Last year before finding MFP, I was bingeing on sugar all the time. In a span of 5 years, I gained back 30 of the 70 pounds I'd lost several years earlier.

I felt as if I was addicted to sugar because if I eat too much I get all loopy, and I was going to cut that evil stuff out of my diet FOREVER.

Then I began studying the people w/o have been/are successful with weight loss and....what? They ate sugar too? I made a deal with myself not to cut any foods out I love, including sugar, and began to practice the art of moderation.

Moderation works. We gain weight due to eating more than we burn.

Disregard any posts advocating that sugar makes you fat, is bad for you, or is the root of all evil, because these are lies. Only eliminate sugar if your doctor advises you to do so, in which case you will probably have diabetes or other sugar related problem.
    That would be because being overweight is the problem, it may be caused by consumption of a lot of sweet drinks and sugary things, but the person is probably eating too much food overall. That is what we all did to gain weight...let's just be honest about it.
    Um...no, sweet drinks and sugary things do not cause weight gain unless you eat over your calorie allowance all day with nothing by sweet drinks and sugary things. In other words, you can drink/eat nothing but sugary stuff at a calorie deficit and still lose weight. It's over consumption because that's all you are eating/drinking and not getting proper nutrients.

What you do to gain weight is to eat too much of ANYTHING (caps for emphasis), even all of what some would describe as "healthy" food. Heck, you can gain weight eating nothing but fruits and vegetables if you eat too much.

Let's say my TDEE is 2000 calories. If I eat 1800 calories of sugary drinks and 1800 calories of lentils, would I be likely to lose at the same rate?

Calories in and calories out as far as weight loss goes. 1800 calories is 1800 calories no matter where it comes from. Im not saying all that sugar wouldn't make you feel like crap, because it would me, but as far as weight loss your body is not going to differentiate and make you gain on the sugar and lose on the lentils.

I gained lots if weight eating only healthy food with no processed sugar and lost 42 pounds with some sugar in my diet. It's all about moderation.

I eat more fast food and sweets than I ever did when I was overweight. That said, no one is actually proposing that anyone eat a diet of 1800 calories of sugar a day, that's simply a straw man argument, though it still fails when one considers the Twinkie Diet. The issue there isn't a problem with CICO, but an issue of body composition. I focus on my macros and micronutrients, and by so doing, I eliminate any need to also worry about sugar as a separate item.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Poor sugar - getting the bash so often...

I know and it's so sweet can't understand why all the hate....:laugh: