Ordering bridesmaid dress year in advance - what size?!

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    presumably if you're a bridesmaid then the bride is a close friend, who knows you are trying to lose weight? i dont think its selfish to let her know you hope to be smaller come the wedding and that ordering a year in advance makes it tricky.

who's paying for your dress?
  • jennau1
    jennau1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation, as the bride though. I ordered my dress over a year ahead of the wedding (this September). I ordered the size that I was then.
    No matter how dedicated you are, I'd say don't order more than 2 sizes down, just in case! The dress can always be altered down, but is hard to go up. (It also depends on the style of dress, if it is fitted, it's more of an issue than if it is a flowing baby doll-type dress)
    It might be more expensive from all of the needed alterations if you go down, say, 6 dress sizes, but it's worth it! You can't let a dress hold up your weightloss. Best of luck!
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    They always tell you to order those things too big, anyway!

My sister is getting married this July and the dresses arrived in late April- I didn't get mine form her until this past week. We ordered them last November if that gives you a helpful timeline. I ordered down 1 size than I was measured last summer, and it fits almost perfectly...if you must order now, just go down 1 size. It can always be taken in. I have gotten dresses that were swimming on me, and any good tailor can fix it!

The bride will probably all want them ordered together so they come from the same dye lot- this is more important on brighter colors (reds especially) and less important for colors like navy.

A year out is a long time for bridesmaid dresses- you could wait for 8 months at least.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Just let them wear under/oversized clothes. Dont worry. Weddings are overrated anyway.
  • rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You're welcome.

The chiffon-y material can be tricky, but if you're talking a basic halter style with low v, cumberband waist, and gored skirt, it would be a pain but not a huge one. Some seamstresses do charge more for all the chiffon (it's typically double or triple the width of the under fabric, so there's a lot to reapportion), so I'd ask some local seamstresses what they would charge.