Setting Goals

Options
Hi everyone, I'm trying to make some fitness goals for myself. I'm trying to have mostly non-weight-related goals. Does anyone have advice or examples to share? Thanks!

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    We can't tell you your goals. You need to pick what you want to do with your body and then we can suggest the best/most optimal ways to achieve them. I don't know whether or not you want to be leaner, get stronger, run a marathon, play a sport, or be in overall better health. Goals do not have to be weight oriented but we need more information on exactly what you are trying to achieve.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    When I coupled calorie goals with running it all clicked. I was never a runner before but now I am and recently finished my first half marathon. If running isn't for you try walking, just get active.
  • rbaskind
    rbaskind Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks! I got started thinking about what I want to be able to do, and it includes overall health and eating well, and being able to do specific fitness exercises especially running, which has always been hard for me. Here's what I came up with:

short term (month of June):
    Drink 8 glasses of water a day
    Eat fruit and/or vegetables with every meal
    Be able to do 20 pushups in a row
    Be able to do 25 sit ups in a row
    Exercise every day—specifics below
    Cook dinner for myself and my family at least three nights a week
    Be able to jog for 15 minutes without stopping (I don’t know if this is too low/high a bar to set)
    Aim for two meals out a week or less

exercise goals:
    go for high-intensity workouts 3-5 times a week, such as interval jogging, cycling classes, circuit training
    low-intensity workouts every day, such as long walks of 30+ minutes, yoga
    long term (year)

Long term
    get to ~150 pounds
    Run a twelve minute mile (elliptical, treadmill, or outside)
    Run next year’s Bay to Breakers
    Be able to do 50 pushups in a row
    Be able to do 100 sit ups in a row

Any thoughts?
  • rbaskind
    rbaskind Posts: 6
    Options
    When I coupled calorie goals with running it all clicked. I was never a runner before but now I am and recently finished my first half marathon. If running isn't for you try walking, just get active.
    Running is definitely something I want to try to get good at. I am starting with intervals of jogging and walking. It's hard but I feel good about it :)
  • veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 30 day squat challenge (search it on pinterest). I'm only on day 2 but its a somewhat long-term goal that I can look forward to completing.