Running Form

Options
I am wanting to run instead of walking. I am doing the c25k and can't seem to get my running form correct. I have been reading about the forms on the net and found it very helpful.
It could be the reason I can't run for very long. For starters I was looking at my feet on where they would be landing instead of looking at the horizon. I know to hold my head up and let my arms swing naturally with them bent and not to clinch my fits but to hold them loosley. Also to hold my body straight not slumped over. Not to land completely on my heels or even my toes but in between. I was not doing any of these and just couldn't run for very long.
Is that about it or am I missing something else? Any good advice would be great!!

Mary

Replies

• AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Do you run on pavement or on gravel/dirt? I find this makes a huge difference when I'm out running. Congrats on following C25K. I am also following it and I am at week 8 and can't seem to get myself to finish but I am still moving forward. Maybe try slowing down your pace a bit as well. Sometimes I found I tried to go to hard too fast but if I slowed it down a bit I was able to push through it and cary on. From what I've read you pretty much have your form down. Watching out for your posture, where you look, how your feet land..etc. Well Done!
  • jbehm313
    jbehm313 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pacing yourself is very helful too. I try not to go any faster than a 10 minute mile (11 or 12 min miles are ideal for me) or I get too tired too fast. Nike+ is a chip you can insert into your shoe and works through the ipods similar to a step counter. You can used it to track your pace, distance, time, and calories burned while still listening to music if you want. I find it very helpful and if you already have a ipod the nike plus is only about $25.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Try getting the "ChiRunning" book out of your local library or purchasing it. You are on the right track but there are a few other fine details that make a big difference. This includes foot strike, bending at the waist (a no no) and several other things.

Great job and good luck.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I run on the road or sidewalks where there is one :( but most times it is on the road. I do not have an ipod I just sing in my head or sometimes even out loud :blushing: The first few days I ran I found I had to slow down my pace I was running to fast and my stride was way to large for me, so once I slowed it down I am doing better. That is why I sing...if I can sing then I know I am going at the pace that is best for me :laugh:
    I don't know how fast I am going, I just know how many miles is my path and how long it takes me to complete it between walking and running...how would I figue how fast on that information? I still have about 40+ lbs to lose so I have extra weight I am carrying but that isn't really the problem it was my form I think...I hope :happy:

Thanks again
    Mary
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Everyone's stride is different. I always land on the wrong part of my foot (pronate) but I can't change my stride/landing as I have been running too long and I guess my body just is used to it this way. My arms also cross my body instead of just up and down which I know makes me more tired then I should be.

That said, I easily run 8 minute miles so I am not sure if form is as important as endurance. Maybe try to do intervals to work up your endurance. Or, maybe go to a running store and ask to be fitted for shoes - if you pronate a stability shoe might really help you.

Good luck - we all started off slow and not long and built up. Keep it up!

Oooh second thought- get a heart rate monitor. The longer your HR is in the cardio zone, the faster/better your endurance will improve.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I don't know how fast I am going, I just know how many miles is my path and how long it takes me to complete it between walking and running...how would I figue how fast on that information?

Just take your time and divide by the distance. Ex: 30 minutes and 3 miles = 30/3 = 10 mins per mile. Hope that helps!
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    I've been running for 2 years now. I would suggest "Runner's World" magazine/website. They are an excellent resource! Proper form DOES make HUGE difference in so many ways, so you are smart to work at this...often overlooked.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I have gone to get a good pair of stability shoes, they feel great I might add!!!. I went to a running store and they helped me greatly!!
    I think if I could just get my body in tone with my mind and what I want to do it will be great :laugh: My girl friend is getting me the magazine so looking forward to reading it.

Thanks again
    Mary