I want to eat brown rice plain

Options
WLG1974
WLG1974 Posts: 90
But it doesn't taste good unless I throw meat and other food in it.

If you have any suggestions besides, "put some broth in it" or "use olive oil" it would be awesome. I love brown rice but I would love to try to get used to eating it without meat products.

If you have any brown rice recipes that you love, I would greatly appreciate you posting it below. :wink:

Replies

• indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I add balsamic vinegar. My mister adds chili - you could do vegetarian chili. I also really enjoy it with broccoli, cauliflower, onion, and bell pepper steamed and added.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Well, brown rice tastes like brown rice, and if you don't like the taste of brown rice, you're SOL. :smile:

That said, I make it the way my mom taught me and I think it's pretty good, so...

Measure out 1:2 rice to water...sautee the dry rice in a little olive oil with some salt, pepper, parsley flakes, and garlic powder to taste while you boil the water in a separate container (I usually just put the water in the microwave for 3-4 minutes). When the rice is sizzling (and smells nutty) and the water is boiling, pour the water onto the rice (use an oven mitt -- lots of steam), then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until there's no water left. Don't stir it, just leave it alone.

And there you have brown rice that tastes like brown rice. :smile:
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I like brown rice with:

Chana masa
    Saag
    Pain yogurt
    Dal
    Fried in oil with: Celery, carrots, onion, peas, a chopped up omelette and soya sauce
    Salsa
    Just plain lentils and hot sauce
    In a salad, make the rice with veg broth, add broccoli and almonds after. Sprinkle nutritional yeast on top.
    I also love carbs with carbs and sometimes make brown rice in the oven with a chopped sweet potato on top.
    Hot sauce.
    Butter, cilantro and chives.
    And curry blend with extra liquid and green peas.
  • jasonrashaad
    jasonrashaad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Put broth in it. :)

But seriously, here's my quick & dirty black beans and brown rice recipe. If you don't like black beans...well you should, because they are delicious.

1 white onion
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    2 cans black beans
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/8 cup cilantro

Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Chop onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic and stir. Add rice and saute until mixed well with onion and oil. Add chicken broth and increase heat to high, Add chili powder and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Allow rice to cook fully, generally 20 minutes for brown rice. Remove lid, stir, add beans, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, and stir until well mixed. Serve hot.
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Before I found out I am allergic to eggs, I used to make a decent fried rice:

3/4 cup rice - prepared
    Frozen peas
    Shredded Carrots
    Onion
    2 egg whites, 1 full egg
    Fresh Garlic - pressed or chopped
    1T Sesame Oil
    Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce/tamari)
    Sriracha
    Sesame Seeds (to garnish)

Make rice or use leftovers. Warm skillet, throw in frozen peas, shredded carrots, and onion. Scramble eggs thoroughly whilst veggies are warming. When peas are done, shove veg to the side and pour in the egg. Press garlic or toss in the chopped garlic and mix into egg mixture. When eggs are nearly cooked, put in your rice and toss about. It's done whenever your rice is a suitable temperature. Dust with sesame seeds and season with Liquid Aminos/Soy Sauce/Tamari and hot sauce if that's your schtick.

It's also really good with some fresh ginger added in there as well.

Happy eating!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Put broth in it. :)

But seriously, here's my quick & dirty black beans and brown rice recipe. If you don't like black beans...well you should, because they are delicious.

1 white onion
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    2 cans black beans
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/8 cup cilantro

Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Chop onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic and stir. Add rice and saute until mixed well with onion and oil. Add chicken broth and increase heat to high, Add chili powder and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Allow rice to cook fully, generally 20 minutes for brown rice. Remove lid, stir, add beans, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, and stir until well mixed. Serve hot.

Yum!!!!!! I'm making this. Immediately! Ok, I'll soak the beans first:). Thank you!
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    I add Cajun seasoning or Montreal Chicken seasoning to the water as it boils... Ups the sodium, but doesn't add calories and VASTLY moreover the taste IMHO.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I like good ol plain white, steamed rice myself.....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    once you put something in it, it's not plain.

here goes some suggestions anyways.

-soy sauce
    -salt and pepper
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love it with a little sprinkle of Parm and a touch of olive oil or butter, plus cooking it in any type of broth (sorry) adds a lot of flavor (adding it after is meh)

For breakfast I like cooking it with milk (almond, coconut or cow) instead of water and adding a touch of cinnamon or another spice (nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice mix, allspice) and a sweetener of some sort.
  • anviljenkins
    anviljenkins Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    If you can find it a Basmatti Brown Rice is nicer IMHO, but not easy to find around here.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Well, brown rice tastes like brown rice, and if you don't like the taste of brown rice, you're SOL. :smile:

That said, I make it the way my mom taught me and I think it's pretty good, so...

Measure out 1:2 rice to water...sautee the dry rice in a little olive oil with some salt, pepper, parsley flakes, and garlic powder to taste while you boil the water in a separate container (I usually just put the water in the microwave for 3-4 minutes). When the rice is sizzling (and smells nutty) and the water is boiling, pour the water onto the rice (use an oven mitt -- lots of steam), then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until there's no water left. Don't stir it, just leave it alone.

And there you have brown rice that tastes like brown rice. :smile:

+1

Also...why not add spices & vegetables? Veggies are generally low calorie and only add nutrition to the brown rice!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I throw in various herbs and spices, and often some lentils or even a bit of shredded carrot or cubed sweet potato or butternut squash. Garam masala is an excellent sweet/mildly hot spice mixture which goes really well with brown rice and lentils along with any sweetish veggie.

ETA: Also, the type of rice you buy makes a difference. You can find brown Jasmine or Mekong Flower rice which tastes and smells much sweeter and more fragrant than plain brown rice.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Risotto! :)
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    OK

saute a small onion
    add 1 can black beans
    and 1 can diced tomatoes
    1 Tablespoon of taco or fajita seasoning
    Heat through.
    Add a cup of instant rice, and cook until the rice is done. (or you can use precooked rice if available.)
    Top with salsa, avocado, or whatever you like.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I like good ol plain white, steamed rice myself.....
    Yep. The difference in nutrition between white rice and brown rice is miniscule.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Renneke
    Renneke Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm trying some of these recipes!
  • jillyrobb
    jillyrobb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use short-grain brown rice to make lightly seasoned sushi rice, then top it with raw/blanched veggies and fingers of sautéed tofu (extra-firm silken, in the shelf-stable boxes). If you dredge the tofu in a mixture of cornstarch and cornmeal then pan-fry in a little bit of oil, it comes out lovely and crisp.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Brown rice.
    Chicken.
    Eggs.
    Pineapple.
    Sriracha.