WATER???

Options
Hi there everyone. Pretty silly question for everyone. I have always wondered if they say drink 8 cups of water per day does that mean that 1 bottled water ='s 2 cups OR is 1 bottle of water = to 1 cup of water on here?

Replies

• championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    1 cup 8 oz. [ most small bottled water is 2.5 cups...]
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 floz = 250 ml. so a 500 ml bottle of water would count as 2.
  • ShellyBee
    ShellyBee Posts: 117
    Options
    Thanks so much, I wondered why I was feeling water logged at 5-6 bottles of water....lol! Great news for me I will finally feel like I am getting all my water in.
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The only silly question is the one you don't ask :wink: Glad you cleared that up, and would love to send you a request and keep up with you! :flowerforyou: Let's motivate eachother to keep going and reach our goals! :smile: Good luck and hope to read of your progress!! :drinker:
  • scottbaron
    scottbaron Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A better rule of thumb is take your current body weight, divide it in half and drink that many ounces of water per day. Example: 145 pounds = 73 ounces of water/day = ~ 9 cups of water (which isn't very much at all).
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind this is a suggested amount... it's not scientifically proven or a fact that we need 64oz of water a day. The amont of water your body needs will depend on several factors such as your health (are you on any medications that require a great intake of water?), how active you are (if you sweat more you need to put more water back into your body) and where you live.

I read that the institute of medicine recommends for dietary needs that men drink 13 cups of water and women drink 9 cups of beverage a day... food constitutes of another 20-25% of water intake per day.

Anyway to answer your question, most bottles of water are between 16.9-23oz of water which would consists of 2-4 cups of water (8oz per cup).
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Sorry here is some useful information:

Factors that influence water needs
    You may need to modify your total fluid intake depending on how active you are, the climate you live in, your health status, and if you're pregnant or breast-feeding.

Exercise. If you exercise or engage in any activity that makes you sweat, you need to drink extra water to compensate for the fluid loss. An extra 400 to 600 milliliters (about 1.5 to 2.5 cups) of water should suffice for short bouts of exercise, but intense exercise lasting more than an hour (for example, running a marathon) requires more fluid intake. How much additional fluid you need depends on how much you sweat during exercise, and the duration and type of exercise. During long bouts of intense exercise, it's best to use a sports drink that contains sodium, as this will help replace sodium lost in sweat and reduce the chances of developing hyponatremia, which can be life-threatening. Also, continue to replace fluids after you're finished exercising.

Environment. Hot or humid weather can make you sweat and requires additional intake of fluid. Heated indoor air also can cause your skin to lose moisture during wintertime. Further, altitudes greater than 8,200 feet (2,500 meters) may trigger increased urination and more rapid breathing, which use up more of your fluid reserves.

Illnesses or health conditions. When you have fever, vomiting or diarrhea, your body loses additional fluids. In these cases, you should drink more water. In some cases, your doctor may recommend oral rehydration solutions, such as Gatorade, Powerade or CeraLyte. Also, you may need increased fluid intake if you develop certain conditions, including bladder infections or urinary tract stones. On the other hand, some conditions such as heart failure and some types of kidney, liver and adrenal diseases may impair excretion of water and even require that you limit your fluid intake.

Pregnancy or breast-feeding. Women who are expecting or breast-feeding need additional fluids to stay hydrated. Large amounts of fluid are used especially when nursing. The Institute of Medicine recommends that pregnant women drink 2.3 liters (about 10 cups) of fluids daily and women who breast-feed consume 3.1 liters (about 13 cups) of fluids a day.
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    A better rule of thumb is take your current body weight, divide it in half and drink that many ounces of water per day. Example: 145 pounds = 73 ounces of water/day = ~ 9 cups of water (which isn't very much at all).
    This is what I do, too. I find the more water I'm drinking the more consistent I am with my weight loss.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    8 glasses a day to me is the bear minimum that someone should be drinking. i personaly drink 4-5 liters a day, which is equal to about 12 - 14 glasses.

I find this helps to flush the system on anything that is not supposed to be there, and a lot of people have been known to mistake hunger for thirst.. they will eat something and then keep eatin because they don't realize that they are thirsty not hungry...

Drinking water during meals also helps with digestion... it's really easy to drink this much water especially if you have a desk day job:)

Buy one of the 2.2L water jugs from Walmart... AMAZING to help you keep on track and honestly its not as much as it sounds.
  • ashleyinthestars
    ashleyinthestars Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I keep a 64 oz water bottle at my desk at work (I bought it from walmart for $1.50) and I make it my goal to fill it up every morning and finish it by the time I go home. Then I know I've got my allotted water in and that doesn't count what I drink during/after my workout and with dinner!
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I drink water more than any other liquid and usually drink 2 - 2.5 liters a day.
  • twinsfan1976
    Options
    Ugh, at my current weight that would be 20 cups a day. I am sick of water, 12 cups seems to be the max I can make myself drink.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Ugh, at my current weight that would be 20 cups a day. I am sick of water, 12 cups seems to be the max I can make myself drink.

Try some crystal light :) it'll help with getting used to water, or changing the type of water you drink; for example.. aquafine to fiji water :) etc. but Disani I know for a fact is not the best bottled water to drink.

right on the ingredients of the water is SALT. not just sodium... be careful.
  • twinsfan1976
    Options
    I drink mostly city tap water filtered thru a dupont faucet filter. If I buy a bottle of water it is usually something from an Artesian well. I hate Dasani and Aquafina or any "purified" bottled water.
  • scottbaron
    scottbaron Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Water is very bland, by design. The amount of water the body requires to perform normal functions is weight and activity dependent. If you want to lose weight and flush all of the bad juju from your body, you need to drink water. Add some lemon juice if you must, but drink water. Get rid of the soda, sports drinks, etc. Water, Water, Water and the weight will start falling off.

Assuming you are awake and active for 12 hours plus per day, 20 cups is easy. Sure, you will need to pee a lot at first but you will feel good. Get a Brita filter system that sits in your fridge and purchase some large mouth naglene bottles from your local walmart or target. Carry the bottles everywhere you go. If you go out for a meal, bring your bottle so you can keep track of your intake. You will be shocked on how easy it is to drink your daily requirement and as you lose weight, your water requirement drops too.

Good luck and bottoms up!
  • rcsewell
    rcsewell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What Scott said. Drink only water. I never thought I could do that, but I made myself give up everything except for two cups of coffee in the morning with non-dairy creamer (no sugar). Now I love it, I only drink water at meals and between. These days, if I take a sip of Coke or something, I just about gag on the sugar.

If I drank anything else I'd never be able to keep at or below my daily calorie limit.