Do you ever just hate dieting?

Options
I enjoy the results I am seeing, don't get me wrong, and I know it's all about being healthier...but sometimes I just hate dieting. I would love to go and grab a soda from the fridge. To get a snack without going to all the trouble of reading labels, finding portion sizes, and then weighing. To not think about and stress over every thing that goes in my mouth. To be able to cook and bake again without knowing that it will only be a temptation. To be able to eat for pleasure again. To feel satisfied every day and not go to bed hungry. Then to know I can't do anything about these things if I want any results, so then I just feel grumpy.

I can' t be the only one who feels like this. How do you get through those times when you just don't want to diet?

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    nope, I enjoy the foods I eat, and I eat the foods I enjoy
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

+1
  • jamiesokd
    jamiesokd Posts: 99 Member
    Options

and so could I if I had a daily calorie goal like yours, lol. I only get to eat a little over half that.
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have those cravings all the time. But then I think about how great I feel when I eat well, and how sluggish I feel and regret using all those calories on something crappy when I could have had several healthy things. You can still have crap once in awhile... just find a way to fit it in without going overboard. :)

I work at an icecream parlour to top it all off, and I still have icecream... but instead of having a medium, which is two soft ball sized scoops, I will have a kiddie which is about the size of a tennis ball or a mini which is the size of a golf ball. You just gotta make it all balance out. Good luck!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Well, we have different body types for one....

But start running a lot and lifting weights, and that would require more calories.....
    Bout all I can offer as a suggestion.
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options

and so could I if I had a daily calorie goal like yours, lol. I only get to eat a little over half that.

What is your goal intake? I made mine 1800 because I want this to be doable for life, not just now.
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on dieting either, LOL. But what I am doing now I don't consider to be "dieting"...I tell myself I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want. It's just that the days of wolfing down unknown quantities of possibly delicious foods are gone for me. Does this bother me? Well, not so far it doesn't (I'm new to this)...but for example, I enjoyed pizza night with my husband last night as I usually do (Sunday night is our "date night" and we love pizza) and I didn't feel restricted at all, in the sense of being on a diet. I just made sure to eat a nice salad before digging into the pizza...and after that I found that two big slices of the pizza definitely were all I needed or wanted. It was great. And it was even greater knowing that I wasn't going to have a "food hangover" the next morning. I like finding ways to continue to eat the things I like...I'm able to make them fit into my new eating habits easily, thus far anyway. Maybe you are being too strict with yourself?
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Some days are good... some days are bad... today was a bad day for me - I had a large cookie in the afternoon and it nearly ruined my day... I did work out a little bit so that I could eat dinner....

Hopefully tomorrow will be a good day :flowerforyou:
  • abrar0290
    abrar0290 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes I do hate dieting, but you learn to pick up a few things here and there, like drinking tons of water, and I drink cold coffee which helps to supress the appetite.

Keep at it, it will be worth it in the end.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I hate dieting...but this isnt a diet so they say, its a lifestyle change. So heres to change. For us all.
  • jamiesokd
    Options

What is your goal intake? I made mine 1800 because I want this to be doable for life, not just now.

Its 1750, and from what I understand that number will only go down as I lose weight. It's certainly not a horrible number, and I do still get to enjoy some treats. BUT, sometimes I would like the option to not have to worry about having more. Like right now, I would love a snack (as I watch hubby eat potato chips), but I don' t have the available calories. (I have a few, but I like to come a bit under to make up for any sampling I did while cooking meals for my family, etc)
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Yeah it sucks to watch others snack and you limited....I feel ya.

But it comes down to choices and what you want and what your goals are.....

If your goal is to lose weight, then you have to do the heavy lifting and be disciplined....
    The weight doesn't magically drop off.
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    I'm not big on dieting either, LOL. But what I am doing now I don't consider to be "dieting"...I tell myself I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want. It's just that the days of wolfing down unknown quantities of possibly delicious foods are gone for me. Does this bother me? Well, not so far it doesn't (I'm new to this)...but for example, I enjoyed pizza night with my husband last night as I usually do (Sunday night is our "date night" and we love pizza) and I didn't feel restricted at all, in the sense of being on a diet. I just made sure to eat a nice salad before digging into the pizza...and after that I found that two big slices of the pizza definitely were all I needed or wanted. It was great. And it was even greater knowing that I wasn't going to have a "food hangover" the next morning. I like finding ways to continue to eat the things I like...I'm able to make them fit into my new eating habits easily, thus far anyway. Maybe you are being too strict with yourself?

I don't think I am too strict, I definitely enjoy different foods (I had a "good" coffee today with sugar and milk, and a cookie). I probably do have issue with spreading my calories out during the day - I'm almost afraid to use too many for breakfast, lunch, and snacks and then I feel like I have to eat more than I would in the evening.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I used to hate it when I was on a barely feasible 1200 diet. Not only was I unable to eat whatever I wanted, I felt so weak and sluggish all the time!

But I guess now that I'm on a very much sustainable 1800-2000 calorie diet, I wouldn’t even call it a diet anymore. I feel like it’s a lifestyle now. If I want to eat cake, I’d eat it and make it fit within my budget for the day.
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    Yeah it sucks to watch others snack and you limited....I feel ya.

But it comes down to choices and what you want and what your goals are.....

If your goal is to lose weight, then you have to do the heavy lifting and be disciplined....
    The weight doesn't magically drop off.

Oh, I know it doesn't happen by magic, LOL, that is why I am sitting here on MFP not eating, but feeling grumpy that I can't. lol

As for lifting, I see so many here that lift and I would like to try it - but its the matter of finding the time and money for the gym. I've been attempting to do some body weight exercises but that is about it.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Then to know I can't do anything about these things if I want any results, so then I just feel grumpy.

I don't think this part is accurate. You can do something about some of the stuff you have described and still see results. You might not be able to do exactly all the things you want, but you shouldn't have to, for example, go to bed hungry.

One thing I do is to pre-measure snacks so I can just grab and go and don't have to think about it so much. Others pre-log their days and set aside everything they are going to eat that day so they can just take and eat as the day goes on. I know some people who bake their hearts out and the stuff in excess of what they intend to eat immediately goes out the door to friends, co-workers and family, or whatever charity is running a bake sale at the time.

My personal tactic is to just not be so serious about it. Makes for very slow going, but at least it is slow in the right direction, as opposed to me giving up entirely and gaining. If you are miserable with what you are doing, perhaps you might give yourself permission to implement more gradual changes that you find more tolerable. It's not worth being miserable over, is it?

I also like to play a little game of finding new treats that I enjoy, little things like lime in my water or whatever I would never have thought to try had I not been experimenting with my eating.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    In the "old days" I really dieted. I was told to eat 1000 calories. I would eat and then be hungry soon after. I would lose weight and the minute I stopped dieting- I gained it all back and more.
    Now I eat whatever I want in reasonable quantities and I never go to bed hungry.
    I move a lot for exercise and walking and lifting so I burn a lot too.
    My health, at age sixty is great (knock on wood, lol)!
    I don't feel like I'm "dieting" and I have vowed never to diet again.
    I've been maintaining for over a year and am very satisfied.
  • turniprose
    turniprose Posts: 11
    Options
    I use to hate it until I changed the way I thought. Now it no longer is dieting for me but a lifestyle change. I never thought I would be the one spouting that but it's true. Mentally I think about who I want to and remember to get to be that type of person, I need to eat healthy. So that's how I think now. I do want a hamburger every now and then, but I don't want it everyday~ In addition, I don't think I eat really boring, bland food which really helps.
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    Then to know I can't do anything about these things if I want any results, so then I just feel grumpy.

I don't think this part is accurate. You can do something about some of the stuff you have described and still see results. You might not be able to do exactly all the things you want, but you shouldn't have to, for example, go to bed hungry.

One thing I do is to pre-measure snacks so I can just grab and go and don't have to think about it so much. Others pre-log their days and set aside everything they are going to eat that day so they can just take and eat as the day goes on. I know some people who bake their hearts out and the stuff in excess of what they intend to eat immediately goes out the door to friends, co-workers and family, or whatever charity is running a bake sale at the time.

My personal tactic is to just not be so serious about it. Makes for very slow going, but at least it is slow in the right direction, as opposed to me giving up entirely and gaining. If you are miserable with what you are doing, perhaps you might give yourself permission to implement more gradual changes that you find more tolerable. It's not worth being miserable over, is it?

I also like to play a little game of finding new treats that I enjoy, little things like lime in my water or whatever I would never have thought to try had I not been experimenting with my eating.

I can say that part of my issue is I am never prepared. I feel that most of what I eat now takes much more time to cook and prepare than what I used to eat. I can't just run to the store next to my work and grab a salad for lunch - because that salad has chips in it, or I can't measure how much meat or cheese is in it to log it correctly. Shouldn't grab a sandwich from the deli for the same reason, etc.

I'm not miserable by any means, I love seeing the changes on the scale, and I continued through all of April with seeing zero change weight wise. I know I can do this, and I am doing this. Just some days I don't want to, LOL
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    At first it was frustrating, but after I got used to weighing and measuring, it wasn't bad at all.
    I eat what I want, as long as it fits in my day.