Eeek. Zumba!

Options
Im going to my first Zumba class on Wednesday, and i am sooo scared! I suck at dancing!!! Lol. But i still want to try it out. Has anyone done the class? Tell me about your experience with it! Was it fun? Hard?

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I started zumba last week and I absolutely loved it! I'm not a great dancer either, but when the music gets going and you see everyone just having fun, no one is watching you, you can let loose and do your thing.

So don't be scared, go and have fun and when u hear the music, shake ur booty! It is a good workout but its so much fun it wont feel like a "workout".

I am going back today for my 3rd class :)
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    If you think you suck at dancing don't think of it as a dance when you're trying to work out the moves. Think of it as any other aerobics class.

Have Fun :flowerforyou:
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! and this girl cant dance either! But its a fun sweaty workout.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy and don't stop dancing. If you lose your place & cannot follow the instructor as long as you keep moving that's all that counts.

Good luck zumbaing.

:wink:
  • ambrosekathym
    ambrosekathym Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm no dancer, but I've been going once a week for about 2 months and I really enjoy it. Best of all, my hear rate monitor shows I burn anywhere from 600 to 900 calories in an hour. Woo Hoo!
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! Don't worry about being able to dance, no one will be looking at you. Just make sure you have a good view of the instructor and you should be fine.

have fun :]
  • groucherella
    Options
    I have no coordination. I can not shake rattle and roll like Shakira, but I love me some Zumba. My first zumba class, I won't lie to you, I ended up standing through half the class and not moving at all. I was out of breath, panting, sweating, drooling, and looked like I had the rabies.

I survived though and went back. I do enjoy it now and can make it through an entire class. My only problem has been over crowding in the class.

Don't feel bad if you have to stand out some and I hope you have a good time!
  • Denita
    Denita Posts: 28
    Options
    I just started Zumba two weeks ago and I fell in love with it!! I can't dance either so I just kept up the best I could and every class gets easier. Don't be nervous... you will love it!!
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I am trying my first Zumba class this week too. I have never done group classes before and for SURE can't dance to save my life but I am gonna give it a shot. Post an update of how it goes. LUCK!!!
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was about to start my dvd and wouldn't you know it, but my tv is fighting me!! Seems my cords to the dvd player has decided not to work. AAAARRRRGGGHHH! Sigh! Ok...so crack the nuckles and look at it yet another challenge to be conquered. I might have lost the first scirmage..but I will win the war! ;-}
    jac
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I had my first class on Saturday and it was fantastic! I have a dancing background, but even if I didn't it wouldn't have been too terribly hard to pick up, I don't think. Just keep moving and bring a lot of water!
  • ♡MyCurves
    ♡MyCurves Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My class had great music...a lot of latin music and some hip-hop. It was my first class and I could barely keep up...however, i know in time, I will speed it up and get the moves down :)
  • amccabe110
    amccabe110 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In my Zumba experience, I was trying so hard to keep up with the moves, I didn't have time to worry about what others were doing!! It's so much fun, and you really get a good workout! Just enjoy it......hope you love it!!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I have no coordination. I can not shake rattle and roll like Shakira, but I love me some Zumba. My first zumba class, I won't lie to you, I ended up standing through half the class and not moving at all. I was out of breath, panting, sweating, drooling, and looked like I had the rabies.

hahahaah hilarious! :laugh: glad u decided to go back
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It is very fun. Someone said, don't worry, no one is watching you, and that is right, everyone is too concerned with following the moves. Our zumba instructor has a particularly infectious personality and that makes it even more fun. Also, I am so unhip, and I would not have any concept of contemporary music were it not for zumba.:smile:
  • MissMessVaness
    MissMessVaness Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been going to zumba for a couple of months to two different instructors and they are both so different! One is more hip hop ish, and the other is more latin! But the fun thing about it is that you can expect to go in have a good time, shake your booty, and get a great workout! And don't worry about looking like a fool cause even the best people in the class won't have time to watch you because they can't take their own eyes off the instructor or they'll be shaking the wrong way too! Let us know how you liked it!
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Go and have a fun time! I teach Zumba and the one welcoming line i say all the time is.....it doesn't matter if i'm shaking to the right and you're shaking to the left, as long as you're shaking, that's all that matters. there are no rules to Zumba other than have a great time. I've been teaching aerobics for 13 years and believe me, no one is watching you, they all concentrate on their own workout and follow the instructor's choreography. everyone has their 1st group fitness class and feels the same way. A good instructor will NOT point you out and say "oh we have a new one in class tonight", most will see you come in and make you feel welcome. if you have any questions, see the instructor after class, most will be happy to help you out. go and have fun!
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    IT IS SO MUCH FUN! Youdo not have to know how to dance! Just have fun! LOVE ZUMBA!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I have a few posts in my blog about Zumba lol I just started....3 weeks ago (I think). I am not coordinated at all!...I actually stepped on my own foot the other day...I mean how do you step on your own foot? But its fun, and it is addicting, even if you don't feel like your doing it right, you feel way better once you get through the class.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I want to try it but I despise latino music... do they have any European equivalent to this? Irish step dancing? I would love that. LOL.