Protein shakes

jc2488
jc2488 Posts: 12
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Can you drink protein shakes after doing cardio or can you only drink it when lifting weights?
Is it better to drink it before or after your workout?

Replies

• DoreenN
    DoreenN Posts: 60
    You can absolutley drink them after doing cardio Before or after your workout is fine. Alot of times its good to drink a recovery shake after your cardio cause dont forget you are still burning calores even after your workout so its good to get in some calories even after your workout. Its a great way to recover.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    On weight training days, I have a protein shake before and after. Pre shake has 5g's of BCAA's and 5g's of L-Glutamine. Post workout the shake has 5g's o BCAA's and 10g's of L-Glutamine.

On cardio day's I'll have a meal with carbs proior to cardio session and then a protein shake with 5g's of L-Glutamine.

Make sure that you protein is a pur isolet. no carbs (max is like 2g's) and low fat.

Allmax Isoflex makes an amazing selection of flavours as well as Ultimate Nutrition; iso sensation
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    in some circumstances yes.. but try not to have them on a regular basis...

I don't weight train as much anymore as I'm spuer busy getting ready for a horseback riding competition... You still need to eat regualr food..

It's a quick fix... something if you don't have the time. but don't make it a habbit all the time..

you get more nutrients with real food...

and unless you buying a pure isolate protein - ie. Allmax Nutrition Isoflex, or Ultimate Nutriiton; Iso sensation - you have to reallly watch the fat and carb level of the "ones that taste yummy" they are usually higher...
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I use them with my dinner when I work out in the evenings during the week. And I've definitely replaced meals with them. I add things to my protein shake though. I've been using Designer Whey and I'll add a cup of light vanilla soy milk and something like greek yogurt, peanut butter, or pumpkin to add to it. They end up around 200-300 calories and are incredibly filling and delicious. Usually with dinner, I'll have something 200 or so calories to add to it so my meal is around 500 total. Sometimes I throw another half scoop in when replacing a meal. I'm switching over to Shakeology as soon as it arrives in the mail this week though, so I'm not sure how much more filling that brand might be.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Protien shakes are especially useful post workout because they absorb faster in the body then whole food sources of protein. With that being said, protein is used for building muscle. So, taking it after cardio will have some benefit because you are putting stress on your muscles, but not as beneficial as taking it after lifting heavy at the gym. I would suggest glutamine if you insist on having a post workout shake after cardio instead. Although it's benefits are debatable.
This discussion has been closed.