no more cola and chocolate!

Options
Hi every one, just starting on mfp. Hoping to lose 3 stone. And the looks like a great place for motivation. X

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP

Why cut out the chocolate and soda? You can lose the weight and eat chocolate! When you start thinking about cutting something out of your diet ask yourself "Am I willing to not eat ________ (insert food name here) for the rest of my life?" If the answer is no, than figure out how to make it fit into your day.

Here's a few links that will help you get started:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good Luck
  • ashleighwebster88
    ashleighwebster88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I completely agree.

Do not cut anything out because if you restrict yourself, this will lead to binges and will make you feel horrible about yourself. Have a treat every now and again when you fancy it. I have chocolate everyday!

Good luck! x
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    More for me then
  • jlvanderstoel
    Options
    Why is it a weird thing for here to quit eating cola and chocolate?
    If you want to change your lifestyle, you will find healthier and maybe even beter tasting replacements for this.

And of course you can still have your cola and chocolate sometimes, nothing wrong with that.
  • samanthasalter1
    samanthasalter1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You are probably right there, if I tell myself I can't have it. Then it's all I crave for. And yep defiantly a binger! X
  • jlvanderstoel
    Options
    You can have it. But tell yourself I can have this only on friday/saturdayevening for instance.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    You are probably right there, if I tell myself I can't have it. Then it's all I crave for. And yep defiantly a binger! X

Exactly, when you start overly restricting and saying you can't have something .. that's when you start craving it more. Keep this as simple as possible.

I eat chocolate, ice cream, brownies or something like that almost every day... and it seems to be working
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Why is it a weird thing for here to quit eating cola and chocolate?
    If you want to change your lifestyle, you will find healthier and maybe even beter tasting replacements for this.

And of course you can still have your cola and chocolate sometimes, nothing wrong with that.

Did I say it was weird? No, I said it was unnecessary. Plus there is no better replacement for good chocolate.
  • nt199419
    nt199419 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Exactly, when you start overly restricting and saying you can't have something .. that's when you start craving it more. Keep this as simple as possible.

I eat chocolate, ice cream, brownies or something like that almost every day... and it seems to be working

lol what. I wouldnt advice eating high sugar+high satfat everyday. Set goals.

''After 6 days of eating clean I will have a pepperoni pizza, 1 glass of coke and 150ml ice cream'' after which you continue to eat clean until you reach your next goal.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

''After 6 days of eating clean I will have a pepperoni pizza, 1 glass of coke and 150ml ice cream'' after which you continue to eat clean until you reach your next goal.

I have goals, and 1 of those goals is getting healthier, losing weight, lifting, and eating a delicious treat every night!

Can you define eating clean? And why it's a necessary?

I would have to say I've done pretty well.... 110 lbs lost in 17 months, improved on every health test I've had, went from not being allowed due to medical conditions from standing for more than 5 minutes, to running 6 miles.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Just remember that there is no such things as bad foods, only bad quantities!!
    I have lost over 2 stone and nearly 15% of my body weight since Christmas and I havent cut out anything.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you dont need to eat 'clean' to be healthy or to lose weight!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!
  • nt199419
    Options

I have goals, and 1 of those goals is getting healthier, losing weight, lifting, and eating a delicious treat every night!

I would have to say I've done pretty well.... 110 lbs lost in 17 months, improved on every health test I've had, went from not being allowed due to medical conditions from standing for more than 5 minutes, to running 6 miles.

Yeah if you are extremely fat eating clean isn't really necessary and its easy to loose weight while still eating the occasional chocolate. But when you want to get in shape/bodybuild [eg:getting below 12%male/18%female fat while gaining muscle] you need to eat clean, low satfat low sugar high protein. You can't maintain those macro's when eating satfat+sugar.
  • nt199419
    Options
    I have lost over 2 stone and nearly 15% of my body weight since Christmas and I havent cut out anything.

You must be american.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Yeah if you are extremely fat eating clean isn't really necessary and its easy to loose weight while still eating the occasional chocolate. But when you want to get in shape/bodybuild [eg:getting below 12% fat while gaining muscle] you need to eat clean, low satfat low sugar high protein. You can't maintain those macro's when eating satfat+sugar.

Really??? Can you provide studies to show this...my macros aren't perfect but they are pretty good just takes planning

I'll put this thread in that shows differently of many very successful people that don't eat "clean" whatever that means.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1283924--eat-all-the-sweets-a-30-day-tale-of-love-happiness
  • Dagnova
    Dagnova Posts: 68
    Options
    Ok many people say that it is a bad idea to cut out foods & beverages like this.

I don't think so. Let me explain:

I think it's a bad idea to demand of yourself *never* to eat or drink a specific food again. That is impossible. But it could be very effective to do it for a specific time. Also you need to think about what you're going to eat/drink instead, and not only think about what's ideal for weight loss but also what is good for your health in general and tastes good.

This is what I am doing right now: for a whole month I do not eat any junk food (in my case: take away food, (homemade) french fries and pizza) and instead I will cook my own meals, using lots of vegetables. At the end of this month I will decide whether or not I want to continue this challenge for another one. After some months I will decide that I am done. By that time I will have built strong habits and skills to help me live healthy and I've let go of bad eating habits. I am sure that I will eat the occasional pizza but right now I don't need it.

I love challenges and they really work for me. If you're that kind of person as well than you could give this a try. But again don't make the length of the challenge indefinite. Start by avoiding the products for a week, then decide if you want to continue. If you feel good you could make it a month. Like I do.

It is really important to avoid that the foods you try to avoid become the foods that your mind thinks of as "the best", because they aren't. I mean that avoiding something could also make you crave it more. That is why it's so important to look for healthy and tasty alternatives.

But I am repeating myself. Just want to get my message across clearly. Good luck with your journey! :)
  • nt199419
    Options

Yeah if you are extremely fat eating clean isn't really necessary and its easy to loose weight while still eating the occasional chocolate. But when you want to get in shape/bodybuild [eg:getting below 12% fat while gaining muscle] you need to eat clean, low satfat low sugar high protein. You can't maintain those macro's when eating satfat+sugar.

Really??? Can you provide studies to show this...my macros aren't perfect but they are pretty good just takes planning

I'll put this thread in that shows differently of many very successful people that don't eat "clean" whatever that means.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1283924--eat-all-the-sweets-a-30-day-tale-of-love-happiness

Can you link me to one bodybuilder/top class sports athlete who doesn't eat clean apart from his cheatmeals/days? Yeah. There you go.

Not sure what it is with people from the US but 80% seems to be indoctrinated with the thought that ''bad food doesnt exist, its the quantity!''

Eating satfat+sugar temporarily slows metabolism

http://www.emedexpert.com/tips/metabolism-tips.shtml
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/4-foods-that-slow-your-metabolism-down.html

this might illuminate your brain and clear it from the indoctrinated ''facts''.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Yeah if you are extremely fat eating clean isn't really necessary and its easy to loose weight while still eating the occasional chocolate. But when you want to get in shape/bodybuild [eg:getting below 12%male/18%female fat while gaining muscle] you need to eat clean, low satfat low sugar high protein. You can't maintain those macro's when eating satfat+sugar.
    Why low sugar? Why is sugar unclean? Apples, oranges, bananas, pears. . . not clean?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Can you link me to one bodybuilder/top class sports athlete who doesn't eat clean apart from his cheatmeals/days? Yeah. There you go.

Not sure what it is with people from the US but 80% seems to be indoctrinated with the thought that ''bad food doesnt exist, its the quantity!''

Eating satfat+sugar temporarily slows metabolism

http://www.emedexpert.com/tips/metabolism-tips.shtml
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/4-foods-that-slow-your-metabolism-down.html

this might illuminate your brain and clear it from the indoctrinated ''facts''.

Go look at that thread I posted there are many in there.

I asked for studies, those are not studies. There are no bad foods, and please again provide STUDIES (not BS articles) that prove your theories. Also I am still waiting on the definition of "clean"