Just can't breath right

Options
2»

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Breathing was super hard for me too. It only got easier with time, and when I slowed down, a LOT. I mean a LOT. Even now if I start out too fast I can feekl it.

^^^ Smart girl :)
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I went for my run last night and made myself slow my pace down and found my breathing to be much easier and the entire run was stich free

Thanks for your help everyone, it's on to week 4 for me tomorrow :-)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Side stitches are caused when your breathing is always in sync with your right foot hitting the ground. I get them a lot and have done a lot of research and the best option is to try to breathe in sync with your left foot. Since your liver is on the right side the extra jarring from your foot hitting the ground and the relaxation of your diaphragm and ab muscles while breathing stretches out the ligaments that hold your organs in place. It is difficult to try breathing on your left foot if you are like me. But with a little practice it will become second nature and help a lot.

LOLOLOLOLOL *kitten*. what kind of *kitten* comes out from a 1 post since 2011 to post such a jerk answer. Hahhahahaha.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Side stitches are caused when your breathing is always in sync with your right foot hitting the ground. I get them a lot and have done a lot of research and the best option is to try to breathe in sync with your left foot. Since your liver is on the right side the extra jarring from your foot hitting the ground and the relaxation of your diaphragm and ab muscles while breathing stretches out the ligaments that hold your organs in place. It is difficult to try breathing on your left foot if you are like me. But with a little practice it will become second nature and help a lot.

Are you sure you're running and not just playing a game of Jenga?
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Slow your pace down and just breathe naturally... no need to do some ridiculous algorithm patterned breathing. Breathing is an involuntary function, so just let it roll and do its thing.

+1000....... there is no "correct" way to breathe when running, do what comes naturally. The most important thing is that you run at a pace whereby you're not gasping for breath, you're not holding your breath and at which you can converse in whole sentences.

It's counter intuitive but you may have to force yourself to run even slower. It takes time to build your aerobic base, be patient with yourself (also.....don't feel compelled to follow someone else's timetable, my personal opinion is that the C25K programs are a bit too aggressive for many new runners. Going from zero to 5K in 9 or 10 weeks may not be attainable for you but don't worry about repeating weeks.....progress at your own rate & have fun!)

All of this. But the best way I've found is just in and out. Not being an *kitten* but just focus on breathe in, breathe out and once you pick up the rhythm you'll find yourself running easier and actually enjoying it. I've run a lot and it took me time to realize I wasn't always running a race. Enjoy the scenery, enjoy the company if you can find someone to run with and eventually, enjoy the feeling you get as you put miles behind you.