Introduction/sugar confusion

Options
mkdm291
mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
Hello there! I am a 38 year old mother of two children who has been on and off MFP for a while. I an 5'4 and hover around 144 pounds. Idealy, I would like to lose 15 pounds, but mostly I would just like to feel better about myself! I would like to exercise more, but my day starts at 5:00 am already just to get myself ready for work and my kids ready for school. The only time I have to get on a treadmill is about 8:00 at night when my husband gets home from work -- scheduling exercise is definately my biggest obstacle!
So... given those issues, I have to watch what I eat very carefully. Here's my diet question: I am confused about the sugar intake. I believe I am capped at 24 sugars for the day! However, I eat one chobani and throw in some fresh strawberries for breakfast and I am already in the red! How important is this for my weight loss goals?
Any advice on how to stick with the program is also welcome!!!

Replies

• MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I had this same question a couple weeks ago and the best answer I got was - change your macros.

I stopped tracking sugar and started tracking fiber - I didn't know you could even do this under your settings, but after I did it, my problem went away lol!

General consensus on the message boards is sugar is not evil, all food is good, just stay under (or meet) your calorie goal and you will lose weight.

I would say the only "real" reason to track sugar is if you have a medical issue .... or if you are eating a pound and a half of candy a day - but then you porobbaly know you are over your limitds ;-). I eat a lot of high sugared fruits - like pinnaple and berries - so I was always over my daily sugar intake too, and though I haven't lost much, I still lost about a pound a week since i started this joiurney, being a good deal over on sugar everyday. So i'd say, just track something else so you don't have to look at it!
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much! I didn't know you could change that setting and I tool your advice and changed it to fiber. I think that makes more sense to me because my sugars come from fruit for sure.

Hopefully I stick with it this time!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugars if they are coming from fruit and dairy unless you have a medical issue. I monitor mine just b/c I don't eat a lot of fruit and dairy so mine is actual added sugars in foods (and I have a sweet tooth).

You are already at my goal weight so I bet you look great already, but getting more fit and toned will help you FEEL great, too!