I want to gain weight and get more muscular

Options
Hi I'm a 22 year old male who weighs 160lbs, I'm 6"2 and would like to gain weight, I'm very thin and would like to fill out my frame more, I feel like I have the body of a child! I am joining the gym in the coming days so I'm literally starting from scratch, my diet will completely change but I need advice on what I should be eating, I'm also going to be looking to get protein shakes so if you have any recommendations, please feel free to advise. I'm really determined to put in the effort needed, I'm literally clueless as to what exercises, reps, etc i should be doing when i get to the gym! Haha. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you want to gain weight you need to eat ALL the food.

and lift heavy stuff.

do you know your TDEE?
  • SkinnyChris22
    Options
    I would love to say I know but I don't, sorry.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1"
    And currently ~168....

U got to eat and lift.....I do too....

So I plan on August doing that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    You have to know how much energy you use each day because to gain weight, your intake has to significantly exceed it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

have a look on here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • badbeytoch
    badbeytoch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    add more protein to your diet ( double your current intake of fish and chicken).
    Lift heavier weights
    stick to the basics at first ( push ups, squats, burpees, sit ups, lunges etc)

Hope this helps:smile:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Make sure you establish what your TDEE is prior because you don't want too big of a surplus. If your surplus is excessive, so will the amount of unwanted fat you'll add.
  • robweaver77
    robweaver77 Posts: 14
    Options
    A good linear progression barbell program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength (which I am sure many people will recommend). Skip the machines and dumbbells for now. 3x a week of about an hour or so of barbell lifts and enough food to grow. Protein shakes are ok to get a little added protein in, but try to eat most of your protein. Try to get 160+g of protein a day. Be sure to eat enough quality carbs and fats so you can grow. Skinny guys tend to have that problem of not eating enough. If you start gaining too much fat, cut your carbs & fat. As others have said, find out your TDEE. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Options
    Start increasing your portions at each meal. Eat seconds at dinner.

Challenge yourself in the gym no matter what it is your doing.

You will make it.
  • OnU2nite
    OnU2nite Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your surplus will depend on how your body responds to the extra calories. Listen to your body. I had to jump +800 over TDEE to see gains. Clean Calories I might add.... Oh and Thumbs up for Starting Strength.
  • SkinnyChris22
    Options
    Went on a couple of TDEE calculators and my TDEE was 2500
  • OnU2nite
    OnU2nite Posts: 23 Member
    Options

That's what mine is with 5 workouts a week.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

So start with eating 3000 calories a day, 160grams of protein. If you don't gain on this go with 3500.

If you haven't lifted much before I'd recommend starting with a basic strength program like Strong Lifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Do this for 6 weeks or so, then maybe move on to a bulking routine.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696