Fat Free Mass: 40.5kg
Muscle Mass: 38.2kg (73.2%)
Body Water: 28.7kg (55.0%)
Impedance: 647 Ohm
Trunk Fat: 18.9%
Visceral Fat: 1.0 Level

Questions:
1. How accurate is this?
2. Can my BMR be actually measured just by stepping on that analyzer?
3. Where can I find a calculator that can help me create a plan that would help me get down to maybe 18-20% BF? (I want to increase muscle and get toned!)
4. How much should I lift? How many times a week? How heavy? How long to get to goal? Best site to go to? Is it possible to tone up using body weight and strength exercises first?
5. Am I asking the right questions?
6. How do those stats look to you?
7. What should I do with these information?

I actually just spoke to a dietitian BUT... She told me that my maintenance calories were 1,000 and that my sedentary calories were 1,200. I was like, "Wait, what?" *alarms were sounding in my head*

951.gif

Then I brought up the whole, "Why is my maintenance calories lower than my sedentary calories? Isn't my BMR like how much my body will burn even was in a coma? What about NEAT and TDEE?" I may have caught her off guard when I asked about those things. Then she said she got confused and said I could eat from 1,000-1,200. Then said my BMR was 1,300. *second alarm sounding in my head* I don't think she expected I would know more than I should. (THANK YOU MFP!!!!) Anyway, she explained that since I wanted to lose more (I specifically said lose fat) weight that I would have to eat as low as 1,000-1,200. Then I asked her, "If I eat 1,200 calories and I exercise, can I eat my calories back?" Then she said, "You may but since you want to lose, maybe you shouldn't." *third alarm sounding, thinking about the MFP community*

1305.gif

And then finally I asked her, "Do you actually put people on 1,000 calorie diets?" Then she replied, "Yes, when they really want to lose weight."

1168.gif

I was done listening to her after that. She actually created a meal plan for me all I was thinking about was IIFYM. Lol I mentioned IF to her and well... She seemed confused.

So I am asking for your help because that appointment was so disappointing. It was like she was reading out of a text book and feeding it to me.

Total waste of money.

Well at least I got that analysis done in their clinic! Now... for its accuracy...

Anyone?

Replies

• JamesonEqualsLard
    Options
    I have no answer for you, and for that I apologize but, this is the funniest post I've read on here yet. The reactions were spot on.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I would A. Ask for my money back with a very detailed explanation of why and B. file a complaint with whatever board oversees dietitians. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of ineptitude in a profession which has so much potential for harm.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Look up places you can do a bod pod in your area. They tell you your body fat% and lean body mass. I had one done three week ago. How much did that tool cost you? Take it back.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I love your shoes. :D
    I'd die on 1000 cals, but that's me.
  • StephanieT0602
    StephanieT0602 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would A. Ask for my money back with a very detailed explanation of why and B. file a complaint with whatever board oversees dietitians. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of ineptitude in a profession which has so much potential for harm.

This!!!
  • RobClement
    RobClement Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Brilliant
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I work in a bariatric office and we have about 8 of these kinds of scales. At any given moment you can step on any one of them and get a COMPLETELY different readout. One tells me my BF% is 32, another says it's 27%. Are they accurate? Well, NO.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'll take a shot. Just some quick answers, I'm sure you'll get more opinions as well but feel free to ask for more details if you like.

1. How accurate is this?
    ==> Difficult to say, but in general bio-impedence analyzers can be way off or they can be accurate. As already suggested, a Bod Pod or Dexa Scan would be a better way to a body fat measurement.
    ==> No, I'd guess it just calculated your BMR. Some of these numbers would be measured (like weight), some would be input (age, height) and others would be calculated based upon the other inputs (BMR).
    3. Where can I find a calculator that can help me create a plan that would help me get down to maybe 18-20% BF? (I want to increase muscle and get toned!)
    ==> Either IIFYM or Scooby's site. Just select a mild defecit (10% or 15%).
    4. How much should I lift? How many times a week? How heavy? How long to get to goal? Best site to go to? Is it possible to tone up using body weight and strength exercises first?
    ==> Just do Stronglifts, Blaha's Ice Cream program, or AllPros beginner routine if you have access to a barbell and weights. They detail all your questions. If you want to do bodyweight, check out You Are our Own Gym or Convict Conditioning books.
    ==> Basically, yes.
    ==> Ok I guess. Not sure what you are trying to ask.
    ==> Use it as your baseline and to calculate your starting calories.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    GIF MASTER GENERAL

(Sorry I can't help, I just enjoyed your use of gifs!)

?p=3076
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have no answer for you, and for that I apologize but, this is the funniest post I've read on here yet. The reactions were spot on.
    GIF MASTER GENERAL

(Sorry I can't help, I just enjoyed your use of gifs!)

LOL Why thank you for the responses anyway! :laugh:
    I love your shoes. :D
    I'd die on 1000 cals, but that's me.

I love them too but unfortunately I don't own a pair. They cost $$$!! :sick:

My thoughts exactly
    Look up places you can do a bod pod in your area. They tell you your body fat% and lean body mass. I had one done three week ago. How much did that tool cost you? Take it back.

I did research for bod pods in my area but unfortunately there's none in my country. :frown: That was the best that I can do to measure BF.

Don't mind the money if the data was somehow accurate even if the dietitian was blah!
    I work in a bariatric office and we have about 8 of these kinds of scales. At any given moment you can step on any one of them and get a COMPLETELY different readout. One tells me my BF% is 32, another says it's 27%. Are they accurate? Well, NO.

But apparently it isn't accurate after all. :( Not even a little? So I could actual have more BF than I actually do and less lean mass? Darn it!
    I'll take a shot. Just some quick answers, I'm sure you'll get more opinions as well but feel free to ask for more details if you like.

1. How accurate is this?
    ==> Difficult to say, but in general bio-impedence analyzers can be way off or they can be accurate. As already suggested, a Bod Pod or Dexa Scan would be a better way to a body fat measurement.
    ==> No, I'd guess it just calculated your BMR. Some of these numbers would be measured (like weight), some would be input (age, height) and others would be calculated based upon the other inputs (BMR).
    ==> Either IIFYM or Scooby's site. Just select a mild defecit (10% or 15%).
    ==> Just do Stronglifts, Blaha's Ice Cream program, or AllPros beginner routine if you have access to a barbell and weights. They detail all your questions. If you want to do bodyweight, check out You Are our Own Gym or Convict Conditioning books.
    ==> Basically, yes.
    ==> Ok I guess. Not sure what you are trying to ask.
    ==> Use it as your baseline and to calculate your starting calories.

Thank you!! I shall take you up on your offer and message you for further inquiries! Lol
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Run.....run as far away from that crackpot dietician as you can....then eat those burned calories from all the running lol
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Nice gifs.

Given your height and weight - I don't think you need to lose any more weight, though?

I wouldn't worry on losing more fat - focus on building more muscle to reach your goal.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Nice gifs.

Given your height and weight - I don't think you need to lose any more weight, though?

I wouldn't worry on losing more fat - focus on building more muscle to reach your goal.

^I'll go with this.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Also the 'Mericans will all stare at your metric numbers kinda' like this:

743.gif

:flowerforyou:
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Run.....run as far away from that crackpot dietician as you can....then eat those burned calories from all the running lol

I DID! I celebrated with a Pop Tart. LOL
    Nice gifs.

No, not really planning on losing more weight anymore and yes to more muscles!! I still have some fat I would like to get rid of though. I'm still squishy in certain parts! :sick:
    Also the 'Mericans will all stare at your metric numbers kinda' like this:

743.gif

:flowerforyou:

LOL you're right!

Stats:
    Height: 161cm (5'3")
    Weight: 52.2kg (114.8lbs)
    Waist: 68cm (26 inches)
    Hips: 86cm (33 inches)
    WHR: 0.79
    BMI: 20.1
    BMR: 1204
    Fat Mass: 11.7kg (22.4%) (25 lbs)
    Fat Free Mass: 40.5kg (89 lbs)
    Muscle Mass: 38.2kg (73.2%)
    Body Water: 28.7kg (55.0%)
    Impedance: 647 Ohm
    Trunk Fat: 18.9%
    Visceral Fat: 1.0 Level
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    i eat 2000+ calories and i'm still losing a shedload of weight. Seriously what .. the .. hell.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    i eat 2000+ calories and i'm still losing a shedload of weight. Seriously what .. the .. hell.

My thoughts exactly and that is awesome! Congratulations!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly and that is awesome! Congratulations!

You have a higher metabolism.