lost weight, now my blood pressure is too high

Options
2»

Replies

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure is in a constant state of flux. Stress and caffeine can both temporarily raise blood pressure. Exercise temporarily raises blood pressure. Smoking is a huge cause of high blood pressure, but you already know that.

If you want reliable results, take your blood pressure regularly while at rest. My 23 year old brother has high blood pressure at the doctor's office, and normal blood pressure everywhere else.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    About ten years ago I had a very stressful job and a boss that didn't help. However, I had started using a CPAP for sleep apnea and as a result had more energy and started running again. When I was running 10K - 3 times a week, I decided I would join a gym. During the tour and initiation they took my blood pressure. (presumably for insurance protection) 160/90. No way says I. Your machine is faulty. Took it three times and the other arm - same result. In the doctors office it was 170/90.

End result - he put me on an ACE inhibitor. I refused Beta Blockers because of the running. Started at 10mg/ day and I'm now down to 2.5mg. Sometimes it's genetics, sometimes external factors. However I have come to terms with the fact that I need this and there are helpful benefits. I still run, do yoga and now I lift.

First - quit smoking. It's not good for you or those around you. Second - do not stop exercising. Third - 143/80 is high normal. That's where mine is in the afternoon. In the morning it can be down around 120/75.

cheers
  • girlyfied
    girlyfied Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There could be lots of reasons why your BP was high. That is why your doctor wants you to monitor it. I know you're frustrated right now. You lose the weight hoping for improved health then your BP goes up. But it could be the result of stress or "white coat" syndrome. It could definitely be those 5 cigarettes a day. Maybe your BP hadn't gone down after your last cigarette. No matter the reason, relax and monitor your BP. If it really is high, you can talk with your doctor later about the causes and options other than medication.

I'm not going to lecture you about smoking. You know what you're doing. I will say I am a little over two month smoke-free. It is the best decision I ever made.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Tell your doctor you want to stop exercising and gain the weight back so you can smoke and not have high blood pressure and see what he says. If he thinks that's a good idea, then that's what you should do.
    I love your wit...Just the type of thing I would say.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm 99.9% sure your blood pressure issue is not related to you losing weight. People can have hypertension regardless...I'm at a completely healthy weight, eat a highly nutritious diet, and cycle around 100 miles per week and lift weights and do some swimming here and there and I'm still hypertensive. In my case and in the case of many, it is simply hereditary.

I take meds and haven't been able to get off of them but my dosage is lower than it used to be thanks to proper diet and exercise...but it will never be completely fixed without medication. Hypertension can also come on at any time and without warning.

Also keep in mind that BP can be elevated for many reasons and actually fluctuates quite a bit (kinda like body weight). I monitor mine and take readings 4-6 times daily...most of those readings come in pretty consistently in the normal RANGE but I have outliers here and there of really high readings and even really low readings. Just monitor it...it may very well be nothing at all. If it is and you have to take meds, it's not the end of the world...I've been on mine for 2 years now and it's the tiniest little pill and I've had no side effects whatsoever.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My sister smoked 5 cigarettes a day and had high blood pressure and had a heart attack at age 46. Both are risk factors. If I were you I would stop smoking and continue exercising. Being conditioned lowers the blood pressure but you have to quit smoking to reap any cardiac benefits from the exercise.
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    My husband has the same issue.

There are so many reasons why your blood pressure can go up or down. Stress, caffeine, fatty foods, etc. I wouldn't put any weight back on because of it.

My blood pressure went up when I was in my 20's because I would run and exercise a lot.

Do you get bloody noses and headaches??
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was in the same boat. My advice would be to work with your Dr to monitor it and decide whether to get it regulated (BP meds most likely) and then a second plan to address the causes. Work on quitting smoking (and nicotine replacements too, if you end up using them).