Yoga or Cardio?

Options
BigT555
BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
I've made some pretty good progress in my weight loss in the past 6 months just from cal counting and lifting 3x/week, and since ive started to slow down (stuck around 205 for about 2 weeks now) im thinking of adding some other exercises to my routine. i want to only add little bits at a time, so i was thinking for the time being adding yoga OR cardio, but not both until i can do one of the 2 without feeling to drained or rushed for time throughout the day.

if i do yoga it will be primarily for flexibility and loosening muscles, if i do cardio it will be primarily for added endurance, probably specifically though sprints as im not a fan of long distance running. i will adjust my calorie goals once i add this stuff in to account for any additional calories burned, and i plan on doing both before work, yoga would be every weekday and cardio would be only on lifting days

which should i implement first? im leaning towards yoga ATM

Replies

• MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think in the end either would be fine for you. For me it's generally which I can easily accommodate into my current lifestyle. For instance, I have an elliptical at home so cardio is incredibly easy for me to do (I'm not a fan of long distance running either, partially because it just kills me with my asthma), whereas doing proper yoga is a little bit harder since I'd want to take a class which would cost me extra money to attend at a gym. But if either option is freely open to you, then that doesn't matter.

Yoga is great for stretching, strengthening and relaxation, which is always something everyone could use.

However, I do feel like since you're only lifting, cardio would be a good thing for you since you need something to help you lose the fat around the muscles that you're now building.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't doing any cardio right now, I would say to add cardio before yoga.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .... if i do cardio it will be primarily for added endurance, probably specifically though sprints...

Sprints won't do anything for endurance. To improve endurance, you need to train for endurance, so long sessions at moderate to high intensity. Short highest intensity sessions will improve VO2Max.
  • chubbyschool
    chubbyschool Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yoga meltdown by jillian michaels. lol it's like both in one.