Can I do better, or should I just calm down?

Options
Hey, all!

I'm at 367lb, hoping to get down to 180 some day. I've done the calorie counting and exercise thing before, lost about 60lbs a couple years ago, then fell off the wagon and gained it all back. I decided a couple weeks ago to quit screwing around and get back on track. MFP recommended a 2300 calorie goal, but I manually adjusted to 1900, which is about where I was last time I did this. I've lost 11lbs so far which is cool, but I'm just wondering if I could be doing better as far as calorie intake goes.

I start to feel bad if I get within a couple hundred calories below my goal (not ever going over, mind you). I'm still only eating when I feel hungry. I guess my question is, should I try adjusting my calorie goal or do I just need to calm down and ride at 1900 for a while? Should I feel bad about ending the day within a couple hundred calories under my goal?

I suppose maybe this won't seem like such a big deal when I start incorporating some cardio (which is my plan for tonight). What are your thoughts?

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Hey, all!

but I manually adjusted to 1900, which is about where I was last time I did this. I've lost 11lbs so far which is cool, but I'm just wondering if I could be doing better as far as calorie intake goes.

I think you are eating waaay too little to maintain any kind of healthy eating habits and it's sabotaging your efforts at weight loss. ALL the success stories, even for extreme weight loss, include a side note on how the successful dieter followed MPF guidelines for calories instead of starving. You'll lose muscle with too little calories and end up burning less in the long run.

Cardio is good especially walking if you're just starting out.
    Mixing in heavy weight lifting is even better than just cardio. I suggest "Starting Strength" I am doing it with my DH. It works for everyone.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hey, all!

I'm at 367lb, hoping to get down to 180 some day. I've done the calorie counting and exercise thing before, lost about 60lbs a couple years ago, then fell off the wagon and gained it all back. I decided a couple weeks ago to quit screwing around and get back on track. MFP recommended a 2300 calorie goal, but I manually adjusted to 1900, which is about where I was last time I did this. I've lost 11lbs so far which is cool, but I'm just wondering if I could be doing better as far as calorie intake goes.

I start to feel bad if I get within a couple hundred calories below my goal (not ever going over, mind you). I'm still only eating when I feel hungry. I guess my question is, should I try adjusting my calorie goal or do I just need to calm down and ride at 1900 for a while? Should I feel bad about ending the day within a couple hundred calories under my goal?

I suppose maybe this won't seem like such a big deal when I start incorporating some cardio (which is my plan for tonight). What are your thoughts?
    I would stay where you are at. If you cut it too much you run the risk of making it a bit more unbearable and falling off the wagon again. Last week I upped my calories by 200-300 a day and lost 1.4 lbs which was the best in a few weeks.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have tried going too low before and hated it, felt really weak and bad. The weird thing is that the days when I was way under I would think I was ready for a big loss and would stay about the same. When I would eat to just under my "real" deficit goal I would lose more. I would keep the goal real and just go lower if you want. This way you can see your actual numbers and adjust intake to see what works. Duck as far under the bar as you feel good doing but don't move the bar. Be patient, you will get there.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    eat some food...jeez man you eat less than I do and I am a mom of a 20 year old.

Hunger is not a good indicator of what your body needs trust me on that...

If you put in 2lbs a week weight loss and MFP gave you 2300 eat that...because that means you are in a 1k deficit already...and if you exercise eat those back too.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting back to it but I'm worried that your extreme calorie deficit is going to possibly lead to you giving up like you did before. I know for me, in the past, the more extreme the diet, the more likely I'd end up giving in to temptations eventually and gaining the weight back. Slow and steady wins the race, as they say.

Even at 2300 calories, you'd be eating well below your BMR so that's plenty of calorie deficit to lose weight. There is no need for you to be eating so little. And once you start exercising, you should be eating back at least half of the earned calories so you definitely need to wrap your head around properly fueling your body.

Don't think of it as a license to eat junk...(although you could definitely use the extra cals for a treat if you want). You can still get the calories in healthy ways. Looks up calorie dense foods. These are things like nuts, seeds, peanut butter, whole eggs,etc - small portions with higher calories and healthy fats.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Agree with others that you should definitely be eating more. Weight loss is a slow process, and those people who have lost a lot of weight and have successfully maintained for long periods of time, do it slowly, and not dramatically. Good luck!

Also, weight lifting FTW!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You need to remember, this is a slow, sustainable process. If you try to rush through it at a level you can't sustain, and feel like you're hungry all the time, you'll give up, the way you did before. Stick with your recommended deficit, take your time, and be patient. It will come off and you will find you are able to sustain it this time.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a couple hundred under your self-set goal of 1900 that means you are actually eating in the ballpark of 1700. ACK!

Remember what happened with being at 1900 last time. You gained it all back.

You definitely need to be eating the 2300 that MFP gave you. Please. Calming down is a very good thing for most of us. :-)
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Everything of the above.

MFP is not known as an overestimator in Calorie-giving. So 2300 is rather good.
    This is good rate and makes you not to fall of the waggon to quick, as you can still eat loads.
    Happy shredding :-)
  • machjas
    machjas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I think I maintain this, I don't feel like I'm starving myself or out of energy. I think I'll just try to get as close to 1900 as I can daily and not worry about it. I'm curious to see where that gets me in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again!