Question for BIG CALVED women...

Options

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My calves are thick and even losing weight didn't help. Being a runner now, I appreciate the strength. But, having an image in my mind of the "ultimate" look I'd love....my calves clearly don't fit that bill. I've battled this thought for a long time and at age 42 I've finally decided to love 'em the way they are. OK...."love" is a bit much...but I choose not to obsess over what I can not (clearly) change.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Mine lost a little. They're now 19 inches. With some weight training they look nicer and they go along great with my thick thighs.

As to the whole issue with buying knee high boots, but if you go up half a size and wear thick socks your calves will fit without your feet sliding in the boots.
  • NikkiRaeLucas
    NikkiRaeLucas Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear I am not alone! I have always had large calves and hoped they'd shrink down but seems they aren't. I am learning to deal with them but struggle to find nice boots that fit! and can't do the skinny jeans!
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I buy leggings or stretchy skinny jeans, or jeggings and I pair them with ankle boots or the ones that are just slightly higher. I think 'skinny' jeans look great on all body types, anyone can pull anything off, you just have to have confidence in yourself.

My favorite boots have a side zipper but they lace up the front with a nod to the combat boots from the 90s. The laces allow me to control the fit a lot better. I bought them at torrid and they are a wide width and I put an insole in them and I wear them ALL THE TIME!
  • Tla0126
    Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well - I'm in the "accept what you've got" camp... I've always had big muscular calves...

I've lost 45 lbs in the last year by eating better and working out (lots of running) and I think my calves are the exact same size, if not bigger.

My personal trainer just said it's genetics and if they are muscular, it is what it is!

Guess we'll see when I get to goal!

It's a PITA to buy boots :o(
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant sells boots for big calves. That's all the knowledge I have on this subject.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Personally I think big calves are more attractive than small calves. Looks more athletic and gives women a more shapely look than thin calves. But then again I'm a big calved woman even when I was much skinnier haha.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The best thing about big calves is that they make your ankles look tiny! I think curvy legs are awesome and we should all wear shorts this summer.

I think sometimes we get down on ourselves about things we cannot control and this is one of those. We can all be healthier but our legs will always be the type to have big calves. Either we embrace it or we fight against it.

Love the body you've got ladies!

*Yes to cycling! Yes to seeing it as a positive thing! Strong legs are for dancing and running and taking our bodies from point A to point B.*
    I love this! It helps reframe my feelings surrounding my calves. I am quite proud of having small ankles, so I just have to work it! P:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Just buy boot cut jeans or bell bottoms. Success!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken measurements, but I have big calves in comparison to my height. They've gotten a bit smaller from exercise, so it isn't impossible to lose some in that area. I know this is the because of the way my pants and boots fit me now. I think genetics plays a lot into it, though.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Just buy boot cut jeans or bell bottoms. Success!

This or leggings.

For knee high boots buy them half a size bigger and wear thick socks.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Interesting. My calves have never really been noticeable. They are at 14 inches now. I have been exercising them to try to increase them a little.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love my sexy muscly calves - I work hard to keep them while losing weight !
  • Itlngrl
    Itlngrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real when you have BIG calves! Mine were somewhere over 20 inches. Now, with 75 pounds gone - they are about 17.25. I bought my first pair of REAL leather boots (not the Faux ones from Lane Bryant or Torrid) this past fall. Seriously, it was one of the happiest days of my life!
  • Rozydreams
    Rozydreams Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in regular stores for clothes but back to plus size if I want a pair of boots =) I'm just glad more stores are making wide calf boots. After 85lbs lost only about an inch off each calve..... I like the ankles look smaller comment!!! lol
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a mountain and walked to and from school every day...I will probably never have thin calves or a flat butt... When I was a very thin 105# size 2, I had a terrible time finding pants that were small enough for my waist but would fit over my calves and butt. Back then I hated my butt with a passion, but it never ever occurred to me that big curvy calves were anything but all the to-die-for sexay. Boot cut jeans FTW.
  • jessiort1z
    jessiort1z Posts: 2
    Options
    loving all the replies I received from this post. I realize I will never ever get those nice thin calves, but I am just finding it so hard to feel comfortable in a pair of shorts or lighter colored pants. OOH the struggle!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Calves are mostly genetic, but it's not uncommon for very overweight/obese people to have large calves due to carry around all the extra weight for years. The calves just grew due to progressive resistance.
    Many can "lean" them out with fat loss, but the muscle won't really reduce much. Learn to love them if you have them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Do you ladies who have larger calves tend to wear heals a lot by any chance?
  • NikkiRaeLucas
    NikkiRaeLucas Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do you ladies who have larger calves tend to wear heals a lot by any chance?

Being a larger gal I do like to wear heels and have wondered if that is not part of the issue with the calf muscles.... but I do also come from large legged women so I think genetics play a big part.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!