Polite ways to tell people to mind their own business

Options
Let me start by saying that my weight loss journey so far has been a mostly positive experience. I have friends and family that support and encourage me, and for that I am grateful!

However...

I am having an increasingly difficult time dealing with the Negative Nancy's at my work!! I have a very pleasant working relationship with all of my coworkers UNTIL lunch time rolls around. I bring my lunch with me every day and always keep a supply of healthy snacks on hand. My coworkers always bring the junkiest food you could imagine and then give me a hard time about my eating habits. I have tried everything!! I usually just laugh it off and tell them that I'm trying to be healthier, but lately it almost seems like they are mad at me for eating salad?!? While these ladies are wonderful, everyone of them is overweight. And not just a little. I NEVER give them a hard time about their food!

Ugh! I'm just fed up and I don't know how to politely tell them to STFU... Ignoring them or just kinda playing it off is clearly not working.

Suggestions??

Replies

• Myfitfutureself
    Myfitfutureself Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Start bringing carrots and celery for them. If it is in an office setting you could always torture them by leaving a baby carrot in someones desk every day. Or start taking protein shakes and enjoy the.....uh....side effects around them. You could really have fun with this. But I am a have fun with them kind of person.....YMMV
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Ignore. Ignore again.

Change subject. Aggressively.

Go sit somewhere else.

Be really obnoxious in telling them exactly why THEIR snacks are so bad for them and so on...

hehe Ok I'm half kidding with these, but yeah that has gotta be extremely annoying. The worst coworker issues I've had in the past were A) thinner people commenting how HEALTHY I ate with the insinuation that it was weird that I was 100+ lb overweight when I ate vegetables and not just Big Macs and B) women on restrictive diets or fad plans talking all day about how wonderful their weight loss solution was.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    "And this concerns you why?"
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Remind them that you don't comment on what they're eating and that you expect the same courtesy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "when I want to look like you- I'll eat like you"

"remind me again how any of what I eat is any of your business?"

"Since you seem so concerned with my health, I'm planning on taking a sht* at 3 PM- would you like the report in excel or word form??"

"you get paid to make fun of my food? how interesting- I didn't realize we had a job title for that around here"

"Have you met my quads- Hercules and Xena (you can't take those- those are my quads- name your own)- they can squat XXX and deadlift XXX- what was your max lift again??"

"how much weight have you lost recently long term?"

"what was your last 5K race time"

"I don't remember asking for your opinion on my food"

" I didn't think I asked if you had to eat it- so why do you care?"
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    When they start yawning after lunch and complaining they are always tired, ask them if they think it is their eating choices. I would tend not to be Polite if they are not extending you the same courtesy.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    If you have tight abs, stand up, lift you shirt just enough to see the tummy and say "That's why! Any questions?"

Then drop your microphone on the floor, and walk off stage to staggering applause.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this in another thread... 'when I want to look like you, I'll eat like you'.

Oh wait, you asked for something polite... Maybe just ask them if they'd like you to start talking about THEIR eating habits?

Seriously, I got nothing. I would have said something mean by now.
  • mvedwards87
    mvedwards87 Posts: 19
    Options

"Have you met my quads- Hercules and Xena (you can't take those- those are my quads- name your own)- they can squat XXX and deadlift XXX- what was your max lift again??"

Water came out of my nose when I read this. Niiiiiiice
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    When they start yawning after lunch and complaining they are always tired, ask them if they think it is their eating choices. I would tend not to be Polite if they are not extending you the same courtesy.

Something like this. I would just say "If I ate (whatever they are eating), I would need a nap. I would rather stay awake and get my work done. "
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Remember how Popeye sang that song about spinach? Make yourself one, sing it every time they start in, and say no more about it. They will still laugh, but now you've made your point.

I'm strong to the finish
    Cause I eats me spinach
    I'm Popeye the sailor man <<
    personalize this line
    Toot, Toot (blows pipe)
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    "Why would you say that?" Why do you think that? What makes you think that? That's interesting, why?

Turn it back around on them... every single time... they end up looking stupid and will eventually stop.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    When people criticize my lunch, I smile sweetly and say "Mm-hm...I've got this."

It typically confuses them long enough for me to walk away and be done with the nagging. :-D
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't be mean about it. No "I don't want to look like you"s or leaving carrots on their desks or **** like that. I know it's annoying, but don't be snide. They're probably REALLY insecure about their bodies, and that isn't going to help the situation. If you start acting like you're better, they'll just put you down more.

The next time someone comments on your food, try responding with enthusiasm. "Yeah! It's a spinach-and-couscous-salad with dressing I made myself! So good." Ask if they want to try it. Ask if they want the recipe. Be sweet about it! Be open and encouraging, and maybe they'll jump on the bandwagon with you. And if not, that's okay too. If someone's out and out giving you crap, just gently say that you would really appreciate it if they wouldn't comment on your habits, to please stop, and leave it there. If it goes any further, it's harassment, and I'd let someone above you know.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    If you have tight abs, stand up, lift you shirt just enough to see the tummy and say "That's why! Any questions?"

Then drop your microphone on the floor, and walk off stage to staggering applause.

^^^This!
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options

^^This^^ Like a Boss!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Perhaps in their minds what they are doing is only having a bit of fun with you...but I'm no there so I don't know.

However, if they are being consistently flat-out rude, then I think that gives you a bit of room to be quite straightforward with them. Just say something like, "Hey, you make your choices, I'll make mine, mmkay?"

Edit for autocorrect fail.
  • Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    "Why would you say that?" Why do you think that? What makes you think that? That's interesting, why?

Turn it back around on them... every single time... they end up looking stupid and will eventually stop.

This is by far my favorite response. It isn't rude, or degrading, but it shows them how their questioning can be interpreted as invasive.

Also, I know it sounds cliche but the best thing I've found is to just try and stay positive, too. It really is contageous. :)
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have never had this problem... but if I did, I would remember what my mom used to tell me. Those who make fun of you are usually insecure and jealous of you in some way.

I guess I would respond, "Jealous much?" or "I'd eat what you are eating, but I want my *kitten* to be smaller than the office chair."

But... I'm not very nice to mean people.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Seriously... they will shut up when they see the results... then they will be begging you for help. Just do what you do...