How do I know how much weight I should be using?SL5x5

Options
I am a total newbie to strength training. How do I know how much weight I should be using? (I am doing stronglifts 5x5).

Do you do a rep, see if it's too easy, then add weight?

If that's the case, then I would like to not count that rep, but I'm worried that if I keep doing that, by the time I find the right weight I will be too tired to actually do the 5x5 reps.

What is your experience?

Also, people who do stronglifts - what were your starting weights and what can you lift now? Mostly interested in ladies, but anyone who started as a beginner will help!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    as per the write up

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

since you are a woman you start with the bar (45lbs) for all lifts except DL and I believe that one starts are 90lbs. esp as a new lifter. If you have an olympic bar start with that, if it's standard use that plus 25lbs

I started 8 months ago at 60lbs on all my lifts except OHP which I started at 40 and DL @ 75 (just because I had never done that lift before) but that being said I am not new to lifting either.

After 8 months my current PRs (personal records are as follows:

Squat 180
    BP 125
    Row 125
    OHP 90
    DL 200
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    just lift and see where you are at the first day,,you actually should have a pretty good idea of what you can lift anyway,,I live on a farm,do a lot of manual labor anyway,so I started out probably heavier then most women do,if you fail to make the 5 sets,lower the weight for the next time until you can do all 5 sets,then start to up the weight.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    For squats from SL, I started with the bar (45lb which was hella light from the beginning) so I added 25 lb plates (to make up 95#). That was challenging enough back the week of Feb 24. For deadlifts, I started at 100#. Haven't been keeping track of the other exercises as much.

Today, I squatted 160# 5x5 - Deadlifted 160# which has been accomplished in almost three months. In two weeks, I'll be squatting/deadlifting my body weight.

I kind of deviated from the program a bit by doing more of a pyramid to warm up for my squats (e.g. 95# warmup x 5, 115# x 5, 135# x 5, 155 x 5, etc), adding more sets in order to include the 5 sets of 5 reps for the weight I'm lifting that week. Deadlifting, rows, overhead press and bench I just do the 5 sets of 5 reps of the weight I've upped to that week. I'm usually not tired after that but that's just me.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input! I have another question - I sometimes see people say that it is obnoxious to the other gym goers to do bench presses in the power rack. Am I interpreting this wrong? Because it seems like stronglifts *encourage* you to bench press in the power rack. Or was it the squat rack you're not supposed to do that in? Either way, it seems like it would be good to have some sort of rack to help if you can't bench press.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a spotter it's always wise to work out with safety catches, such as in the power rack.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I would use the power rack if you don't feel comfortable adding weight and don't have a spotter. You can do whatever you like but I think it's really ignorant to non-squat exercises in the squat rack if the gym is busy. If your gym has a power rack with catches, use that.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Those are nice numbers Dixie and Stef! Keep it up!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input! I have another question - I sometimes see people say that it is obnoxious to the other gym goers to do bench presses in the power rack. Am I interpreting this wrong? Because it seems like stronglifts *encourage* you to bench press in the power rack. Or was it the squat rack you're not supposed to do that in? Either way, it seems like it would be good to have some sort of rack to help if you can't bench press.

I would be internally a little annoyed if the gym had a fair bit of people in it and there was someone benching in the power cage- (caveat- if the squat racks were both taken as well)... only because it's much easier to ask for a bench spot than trying to squat without a rack or cage.

BUT I wouldn't be openly irritated or complain about it- and honestly it doesn't happen that often- i'm the only person I've actually ever seen do that- so I am definitely not a hater on it- it just depends on if it would be easier to ask for a spot vs holding up squatting.

I am doing high volume training that often involves five or six sets of 2-3 reps- which is REALLY annoying to have someone spot you for- so I do the power cage on Friday's when it's later at night and I'm not holding up someone's squat routine.

But it's a valid use for the power cage- use it as you need!!!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Start with the bar. You might feel like a *****, but you'll give your body time to adapt and learn the movements.

Point in case: Myself. I didn't start with the bar, but I didn't go overboard either. Even still, I ended up stressing my joints to the point where I've been in physcial therapy and doctors offices since Jan trying to figure out if/how bad I hurt myself and if I will be able to lift any appreciable weight again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm functional, but **** doesn't feel right and even stairs and driving hurt normally.

And once again, I did not go crazy, most would have said I was going too slow (probably was a mix of a little too much weight too soon, and frequency). So moral of the story is: Take your ****ing time and start with the bar.