Get moving at work!

Options
I have started a "Get Moving" group at work. We set up a reminder in Outlook to go off every 2 hours. We work in a 4 story building so we start on the first floor and take the stairs to the fourth floor, walk across the building to the other flight of stairs and take them back down to the first floor.

This is the first week of our "Get Moving" group - any other ideas to increase physical activity in an office setting?

Replies

• amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    That is the coolest funniest thing ever! I picture a bunch of lemmings all in a line! I am telling my mom about this. She is going to love this idea! Maybe at 3 you could have everyone where they are do the macarana! Ok, maybe too silly, huh?
  • Natalie511
    Natalie511 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What a great idea...at work my boss has let us exercise to DVD's or go walking...They pay you while you workout...it is sort of sticking it to the man and getting a good work out...win win I think..
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I walk on my 2- 15 min breaks a day.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'll do jumping jacks, standing crunches, or push ups against the wall when I go to the bathroom
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    Our office recently had a Walking 10,000 Steps A Day challenge (that's how many you're supposed to get EVERY DAY just to maintain!). It was amazing - you don't realize how little you move around when you have a desk job, and it was very motivating to see the numbers on the pedometer and push yourself to get more steps. Plus, it was a great way to encourage office moral, because it got people up and moving and talking to each other, instead of just e-mailing all day.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    That's a great idea. If you have counters near where you're walking, you could throw in a push up break. :smile:
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    We are also doing the 10,000 step challenge. and the days I do no fitness I only get less than 3,000 steps. no where near the 10,000 steps. I actually have to walk on my 2-15 min breaks. and do another 30 min on ellipitcal to hit the 10,000