I need to up my milk supply for my nursing 10 month old.

Options

Replies

• Hughes39
    Hughes39 Posts: 169
    Options
    I agree with your pediatrician, You can't expect baby to gain weight on breast milk alone. Since your child is approaching a year old (and is whole lot more active at this age than in the earlier months) its time for something solid. I breastfed for 8 months and to tell you the truth it just wasn't enough to just breastfeed. He had to have soild food and he pretty much weaned himself . He always ran under the national weight average for his age but when solid food was introduced he picked up more weight. Breast milk can only provide so much. Its time for a solid meal and you can always supplement with milk.

Also take in consideration how fast breast milk is digested in their systems, a lot more faster than formula even. If baby is super active, is breast milk really enough to sustain his/her activity?
    Adding solids=baby losing interest in nursing=baby weans self.
    I'm not going to do that. I'm sorry. I may sound like a complete ***** but I am asking for ways to up my supply. I am NOT looking for everyone to tell me "give solids". PLEASE stick to answering the advice I asked for- not pushing your opinions on me as far as baby foods (you as in the general you, not you as in only you)
  • Hughes39
    Options
    I breastfed my daughter until she was 16 months old, and I am still nursing my 11 month old. I also believe that table foods are more for practice and do not count on them to fully nourish my son as long as I can breastfeed him. I have heard of several things to help boost your milk supply.

Make sure to eat ALL of your calories. When I first started working out my milk supply went way, way down. Don't forgot to allow yourself 300-500 calories, especially if your baby is still nursing for all meals/snacks/bedtimes. I just reduced my calories to around 100-200 since my son is not eating as much any more. I can feel my supply starting to diminish a bit, but since he will be turning one shortly, I'm not very concerned. He mainly nurses for the comfort.

I have heard of Fenugreek, I have a friend who swears by it. But my doctor told me that it really only helps establish your supply in the beginning, that it doesn't rebuild your supply. So, I guess it would have to be trial and error for you.

I have also heard of Mother's Milk Tea. I don't know if it works first hand, but again, I have a few mommy friends who love it and also think that it works.

Stay hydrated! I noticed that once I was really into a good workout routine, eating all of my calories, and staying hydrated my milk supply went back up. You also know that the more your baby eats, or the more you pump, that your body will naturally restore the milk. I have also heard that pumping between feedings can help, but I never was one for pumping.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding a child until 1, and supplemental breastfeeding until 2.

Another good website for nursing moms is www.kellymom.com

Good Luck!!
    WHO recommends breast feeding until age 2! :)
  • Hughes39
    Options
    I also wanted to tell you GOOD FOR YOU! What a GREAT choice you have made for your baby!! There are a lot of people who don't understand/support the benefits of nursing and attachment parenting. What a bond we share with our babies!! :heart:
    Thank you. It is a wonderful gift. For mom and baby! It is great for our health too! Did you know it lowers the risk of breast cancer?!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to tell you GOOD FOR YOU! What a GREAT choice you have made for your baby!! There are a lot of people who don't understand/support the benefits of nursing and attachment parenting. What a bond we share with our babies!! :heart:
    Thank you. It is a wonderful gift. For mom and baby! It is great for our health too! Did you know it lowers the risk of breast cancer?!

Just another one of the AWESOME benefits!!
  • granolagirl
    granolagirl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    wow!! great for you and your baby...the benefits of breastfeeding are are so numerous, not to mention all that sweet bonding!! :)
    I am a member of Le Leche League and BF my oldest into toddlerhood and am still BF my 16 month old. I repeat some earlier recommendations: increase your water intake, make sure you are getting adequate calories -since you are not counting calories, I would recommend you start in order to make sure you are getting enough- our bodies burn somewhere between 300-500 extra calories when we are BF, also go to LLL website and call a leader or go to a meeting, leaders have a wealth of information and it is a very supportive environment for BF moms and its FREE!! also, you can get the tea at a health food store like Whole Foods or a Natural Grocer.

Good Luck!!
  • DigitalRain
    Options
    I'm not going to do that. I'm sorry. I may sound like a complete ***** but I am asking for ways to up my supply. I am NOT looking for everyone to tell me "give solids". PLEASE stick to answering the advice I asked for- not pushing your opinions on me as far as baby foods (you as in the general you, not you as in only you)

Nuff said. Good luck.:ohwell:
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    First of all, great job choosing the best food for your baby :) And you are right, it is your choice when to give him solids/juice. I breastfed both my babies, and never had a problem with supply or baby weight gain. But I do have friends who have had issues with that. I don't know if it will help supply, but here is what I would do- When its about time for him to nurse, pump first. This will take out the watery foremilk. Then nurse your little one. He will be getting more of the fatty, protein-rich hindmilk, which may help plump him up a bit. Also, his weight may have stalled because at 10 months, they are becoming much more active. And make sure that you are getting enough to eat as well, as that will directly affect your supply. That's my advice, and I hope it helps! Happy breast feeding!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Fenugreek really helps I used them when I was nursing my kids and my supply was really good. I would not recommend giving your baby juice baby food is fine my kids starting eating baby food at 6 months and I was still nursing them. The tea is called Mothers Milk tea and any health store carries them.

If you are dropping your calories too much that affects your milk supply. To be honest with you even though I wanted to loose weight I did not start cutting calories until now that I am done nursing, for that same reason I did not now my milk supply to be affected.

The fenugreek you are supposed to take 3 pills 3 times a day one drawback is that you will start smelling like syrup :) Good luck
    I actually haven't even been counting calories lately so I'm not sure how much i'm getting
    Where can i find the fenugreek?

I found the fenugreek at a store called Hi-Health and the pills were called Tibet Mountain Herbs™ Fenugreek (110 Caps) it has like an Indian Logo on it, I was actually referred to them by an Indian co-worker who drinks them and nursed her son until two. I wish I would had made that far but usually by the time mine turn one my supply is low that nothing helps it. Good Luck
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I've heard of fenugreek being good for mother's milk supply. Research it. I hope it helps.

I used fenugreek while I was nursing. My son never could latch on and I had to pump. I was able to pump for 10 weeks before having to go back to work. I started taking it as soon as I got home from the hospital, so I can't tell you if it up'd my supply significantly, but I do know that I lasted way longer than the average for women who pump exclusively.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Oatmeal!!! Good for you and increases your milk. My kids only had solids to experiment with until they were one, then mashed up fruits and veggies. No juice, only water!! They love water today, even my almost 13 year old. My daughter's favorite food was (and still is) fresh avocado right out of the fruit :smile: i nursed my daughter the longest, till she was almost 3 (much to my mother's horror :laugh: ). Up your calories, look at getting some mother's milk tea (at health food stores). Go to Whole Foods if you have one, and look in their supplement section, I am sure they have something that you can take to increase your milk. You are doing awesome mamma!! Seriously, the best thing ever for your little one, and also decreases your risk of breast and ovarian cancer :drinker: And yes, I was/am a baby wearing, extended nursing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering hippie :bigsmile:
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    And, no, I am NOT judging anyone else for their child raising beliefs/techniques...these are just mine!!
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Congrats on nursing for so long. The best way to increase your supply is to feed more often. After that, drink lots of water. Every time you sit to nurse, have some water. Oatmeal (not instant, whole grain) can help. Fenugreek is best at the beginning - you also have to take a lot of the pills, and you will smell like maple syrup if you're taking a lot of them. Not sure if you're familiar with Dr. Newman, but I did give mashed avacado to help with my infants weight gain. Eventually, I had to take Domperidone. Also remember, growth charts are based on formula fed infants, infants who are breastfed often gain slower than formula feeders. I believe WHO has breast fed growth charts on their site, as well as the LaLeche league.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I agree with your pediatrician, You can't expect baby to gain weight on breast milk alone. Since your child is approaching a year old (and is whole lot more active at this age than in the earlier months) its time for something solid. I breastfed for 8 months and to tell you the truth it just wasn't enough to just breastfeed. He had to have soild food and he pretty much weaned himself . He always ran under the national weight average for his age but when solid food was introduced he picked up more weight. Breast milk can only provide so much. Its time for a solid meal and you can always supplement with milk.

Also take in consideration how fast breast milk is digested in their systems, a lot more faster than formula even. If baby is super active, is breast milk really enough to sustain his/her activity?

Not that I'm a Mom (yet!), but I can tell you that children can live quite happily on breastmilk alone and get all the nutrients they need. My husband's cousin's kids were both breastfed exclusively until age one and then supplemented for another few months. The eldest little guy was a very busy 50lbs at a year old!!! He's now 7 and hasn't put much more on....He's just shot up 3 feet. He's never sick and is incredibly active.

I commend your decision to continue it as long as you feel that your son needs it.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    My niece is an exclusively bf 6 month old and is a healthy and happy 20lbs! You should see her cute little fat rolls...isn't it funny that it is cute on babies, but not so cute on grown ups? :laugh: I loved avocados, cause you could just throw a whole one (I cut it but didn't open it and had it in a ziploc) into your bag and go, and you could eat it too...baby food, in general, tastes kind of gross, if you ask me, but I have a sophisticated palate :laugh:
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    1st of all congrats on making it so far! It takes a lot of work to make it through the booby traps-which some of these women are placing in front of you.

To increase your supply w/o medication, vitamins or herbs:
    *Water!!!! Drink a glass during each feeding and one in between feedings, and before bed, 1st thing in the morning.
    *oatmeal- not instant, get old fashioned rolled oats-can sweeten w/ syrup, fruit, yogurt, honey, etc. I like adding granola and berries.
    --Google lactation cookies-3 a day really help!
    *Mothers Milk Tea-drink 4-6 cups a day according to directions-add sweetener like honey
    *3 day nursing sabbatical: basically stay with your baby, non stop, offering the breast constantly, if possible with your breasts exposed the whole time. Usually works w newborns, but have seen success with older babies.
    *frequent pumping.
    *hand expressing after each feeding and an hour after each feeding,

Herbs and Medication:
    *Brewers Yeast
    *Fenugreek-9 a day.
    *Blessed Thistle
    *Reglan
    *Doperidone (sp?)

While I had fed both my boys solids very early on, I understand your side, as I held off with my daughter. I did introduce solids at 6-7 mos, but it was only to be introduced, not as a primary source of income.

And for those saying BFed babies need food, get your facts straight and don't use growth curves to back yourself up. Just because your child is smaller than the 50th percentile doesn't mean anything is wrong, lets face it, take just 10 healthy exclusively breastfed babies, 2 will be perfectly in the middle, 4 will be larger than average and 4 will be smaller. Thats the point AVERAGES! Doesn't mean if your baby is below 50 they are malnourished or about 50 they are super strong.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing...I agree that the weight charts are based on formula fed babies, so bf babies are always going to seem like they are "skinnier" or lower on the charts (but not always). My first was always under 30th percentile for weight (but 95th for height), and now is almost as tall as his dad at almost 13, and will probably top 6'2" or more. My others were both little butterballs :heart: and, are healthy, tall and fit 10 and 6 year olds. Doctor's, unfortunately, do not have a lot of coursework in nutrition...so trust what your mothering instincts are telling you. Check with La Leche League. Also, juice in sippy cups, has the tendency (not always) to cause cavities.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    1st of all congrats on making it so far! It takes a lot of work to make it through the booby traps-which some of these women are placing in front of you.

*Water!!!! Drink a glass during each feeding and one in between feedings, and before bed, 1st thing in the morning.
    *oatmeal- not instant, get old fashioned rolled oats-can sweeten w/ syrup, fruit, yogurt, honey, etc. I like adding granola and berries.
    *Mothers Milk Tea-drink 4-6 cups a day according to directions-add sweetener like honey
    *3 day nursing sabbatical: basically stay with your baby, non stop, offering the breast constantly, if possible with your breasts exposed the whole time. Usually works w newborns, but have seen success with older babies.
    *frequent pumping.

Herbs and Medication:
    *Brewers Yeast
    *Fenugreek-9 a day.
    *Blessed Thistle
    *Reglan
    *Doperidone (sp?)

While I had fed both my boys solids very early on, I understand your side, as I held off with my daughter. I did introduce solids at 6-7 mos, but it was only to be introduced, not as a primary source of income.

And for those saying BFed babies need food, get your facts straight and don't use growth curves to back yourself up. Just because your child is smaller than the 50th percentile doesn't mean anything is wrong, lets face it, take just 10 healthy exclusively breastfed babies, 2 will be perfectly in the middle, 4 will be larger than average and 4 will be smaller. Thats the point AVERAGES! Doesn't mean if your baby is below 50 they are malnourished or about 50 they are super strong.

ITA...and LOL at "booby-traps"...freudian slip or tongue in cheek humor??
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

But yet, you are sounding like one. She was just stating her experience.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options

*frequent pumping.

Herbs and Medication:
    *Brewers Yeast
    *Fenugreek-9 a day.
    *Blessed Thistle
    *Reglan
    *Doperidone (sp?)

ITA...and LOL at "booby-traps"...freudian slip or tongue in cheek humor??

http://www.bestforbabes.org/breastfeeding-booby-traps/ :wink: