Depression while losing weight

Options
I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but I'm experiencing depression while I'm losing weight. I am feeling sorry for myself and not my confident, happy go lucky usual self. I'm so sad and blue, all I can do is come straight home and lie in my bed and feel numb, and sometimes just cry a bit when I go into the bathroom because I'm not where I want to be with my weight, and now that I'm focused on losing it I want it off so bad. I exercise daily, eat very clean and drink all of my water. I see other women and just can't wait until I am back in shape. I have a beautiful body underneath all of this fat, and maybe my daughter teasing me last night when I was in my underwear triggered something in me to become depressed. I am a highly sensitive person as well.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    That sounds terrible! I suffer from depression whether I'm dieting or not, so I'm not sure how applicable my situation is. Depression is not fun and you deserve to feel good about yourself at all times. Have you considered talking to someone about this (other than us strangers on the internet, I mean?)
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    and maybe my daughter teasing me last night when I was in my underwear triggered something in me to become depressed. I am a highly sensitive person as well.

This.

It is never fun or cool when someone who you love and who is close to you pokes a joke at you and you're just not in the right mind to take it.

It's hard when you want to lose weight but it seems like nothing is coming off. My advice is to NOT go by the number on the scale but take your measurements. Go by how your clothes fit because even if the scale isn't moving (or worse, moving in what you perceive as the WRONG direction) you can take your measurements and see how your clothes fit and realize that yes, it IS working.

Because it IS.

Focus on something about you that you like. It doesn't matter what it is: your hands, your eyes, your nose - and go with that. Think about what you love about yourself as you walk around and hold your head up high and smile to yourself and you will find that you will attract positive attention just because you're looking confident and you're smiling.

Life is too short to worry about what other people (who you don't even know BTW) think about you.

Edited to fix spelling errors
  • AllMyUsernamesRTaken
    AllMyUsernamesRTaken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    No I haven't thought about talking with a professional. Its just because of my weight and once I'm back at least really close to my normal weight I won't feel like this. This is terrible.
  • AllMyUsernamesRTaken
    AllMyUsernamesRTaken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you, but its not that I'm concerned with strangers think of me at this weight, its just a bummer being this weight and I don't do the scale and I'm just not happy being fat. I read somewhere doctors completed a survey and asked normal weight people if they'd rather be fat or lose a limb, the greater majority said to lose a limb.