When do you turn off your HRM?

Options
Do you turn it off immediately after finishing a workout out or do you wait until after your heart rate has returned to normal? After I do a HIIT I burn quite a bit of calories for several minutes after the workout. I sure would like to count those calories burned!!

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    good question. i try to wait until i can atleast catch my breath and my HR is closer to normal. so usually only a couple mins after i'm done working out. if i'm out of breath for example i wait until i cool down a bitl. did that make sense? lol.

would like to hear what others have to say about the topic :tongue:
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I turn it off as soon as I finish my workout. I just figure I burn calories even if I'm doing nothing so those "extra" calories I burn while waiting for my heart rate to return to normal aren't worth worrying about.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    right after my workout; almost immediately. probably because the timer is going and i want it count my workout time only, not my recovery.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I turn it off as soon as I finish my workout. I just figure I burn calories even if I'm doing nothing so those "extra" calories I burn while waiting for my heart rate to return to normal aren't worth worrying about.

I do the same thing. I turn it off when I stop the exercise usually while wakling to the paper towel dispenser to wipe off the machine. I figure I don't eat all my exercise calories anyway so I don't try to have it right on the dot.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

Exactly what Natural, rostrum, and lisafrancis said. I turn it off IMMEDIATELY when I am done - I don't count recovery, I would've burned those calories just sitting still anyways - plus, I don't want to hurt my weight loss but eating back more calories than I actually burned from exercise alone.
  • strongerthanb4
    Options
    I turn mine off as soon as I stop my work out, that being said, I try to cool down the last minute or two of my work out....hope this helps!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I turn mine off after my heart rate is closer to normal (usually when it's below 120). Since it's still burning extra calories over what I would be if I was just sitting (about a calorie per minute). I also subtract out a calorie per minute to account for calories I would have burned anyway. That being said, I never eat back all my exercise calories, so it doesn't make a huge difference if I have an extra 20-30 calories in my log.
  • dabomb5198
    Options
    I turn mine off when I go below the fat burn zone.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    I normally turn mine off when my heart rate is lower (like maybe 100). Even when it's coming back down, I'm burning the calories because of the workout...once it returns to normal(or close to) I shut mine off.
  • sgeorgia
    sgeorgia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I turn mine off when it's around 115 which is still in my fat burning zone. I feel like the cool down is still part of the workout and definitely not normal resting calories as my heart rate is around 80bpm.