How often do you have baked potato?

Options
I just love them! I eat plenty of veggies and fruits but I know potatos arnt great for you.

I don't make mine bad. 1 potato (110 cal) , 1 tbl if yogurt butter (40 cal) , some salt and pepper, maybe a little cheese (30 cal)

So how often do you allow yourself to have one?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why aren't potatoes great for you? Do you have actual evidence or studies corroborating this, or are you just saying what you heard someone who read a Cosmo article that one time say?

There is no reason to cut out any type of food. No foods are "bad" or "unhealthy" for you, just unhealthy portions. Stick to a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight no problem.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I have a baked potato at least once a week. I use chunky salsa as a topping.
  • Nathalia2009
    Nathalia2009 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Why aren't potatoes great for you? Do you have actual evidence or studies corroborating this, or are you just saying what you heard someone who read a Cosmo article that one time say?

I have always heard that. So I tried switching to sweet potato and I just cant do it. Now, if your about to tell me potatoes are good for me.... Your my new bff! Lol
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I never eat a baked potato.

The main reason is I cannot stand potatoes, I hate even having to touch them, slimy things. And they smell disgusting when cooking.

But that is my personal preference
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I have potatoes once or twice a week. I buy the smallish ones (bigger than new potatoes, but smaller than an idaho) in either Red Bliss or some buttery or gold variety, about the size that makes 2 or 3 potatoes a serving. This tricks my brain into feeling like I'm getting more if I just bake them. Otherwise, they're the perfect size for crispy wedges, or cubing for home fries with eggs.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    We have them 3-4 times a week, they are our go-to side. Mashed, baked, roasted, potato bake... The hate on potatoes is another "weight loss" vendetta. Nothing wrong with a spud.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I have always heard that. So I tried switching to sweet potato and I just cant do it. Now, if your about to tell me potatoes are good for me.... Your my new bff! Lol

There's nothing wrong with white potatoes.

Some weeks I have one every night and I eat it with butter or cheese.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Not often enough, maybe 3 times a month.

Love making some twice baked potatoes but they just take too long.

Anyone is OK for ya if you stay within your limit.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i dont eat them nearly as much as i should (i aint got time for that!)....but when i do i like them with sour cream, bacon, cheddar or pepperjack, butter, and chives.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine - they have fiber, a bit of protein and are a good source of potassium, too. I just made a batch up for lunches for this week. I prefer to top mine with a good amount of protein (chicken), low fat sour cream, cheese, salsa, bacon, green onions, etc.

As for the size - measure the ones you have. A 110 calorie potato is about the size of two golf balls, no kidding! I weighed mine out, and the "medium" sized ones, in my estimate, were about 160-175 calories. The "small" ones I had were probably in the 125-145 calorie range. If you plan on eating them often, it's probably best to accurately track them.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one a day. They are a great source of potassium and are pretty low in calories. I just put salt and pepper on mine.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you want to eat potatoes, definitely get a food scale. It's impossible to know how much you're eating, or how many calories, by estimating the size.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a week - I don't really like butter so I just put salt and pepper on them. Love it!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine - they have fiber, a bit of protein and are a good source of potassium, too. I just made a batch up for lunches for this week. I prefer to top mine with a good amount of protein (chicken), low fat sour cream, cheese, salsa, bacon, green onions, etc.

As for the size - measure the ones you have. A 110 calorie potato is about the size of two golf balls, no kidding! I weighed mine out, and the "medium" sized ones, in my estimate, were about 160-175 calories. The "small" ones I had were probably in the 125-145 calorie range. If you plan on eating them often, it's probably best to accurately track them.

There are entries here for potatoes by the gram or ounce. That's more accurate than measuring.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I put salsa and hot sauce on mine....yummy.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I prefer roasted red potatoes (with a little evoo, lemon juice, and a sh!tload of herbs) - probably eat them as a side twice a week!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I never eat a baked potato.

The main reason is I cannot stand potatoes, I hate even having to touch them, slimy things. And they smell disgusting when cooking.

But that is my personal preference

I am concerned about the fact you have slimy potatoes. That's seriously not right. I wouldn't eat them either.

But the OP can totally eat her potatoes.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I switched to sweet potatoes, because they have vitamin A, and some family members don't eat carrots. I'm not sure there's anything particularly "bad" about potatoes. A single medium potato has 5g of fiber, 70% of your Vitamin C, and 30% of your Vitamin B6. They're lower sodium than bread. Enjoy your potatoes. :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My very favorite is the Yukon Gold. The flavor is so good you could eat them without any toppings! I have potatoes a couple of times a week. They have tons of potassium (more than bananas) and 45% of your daily Vitamin C, plus other antioxidants. Very nutritious. Nothing wrong with a potato if you keep it within your calories! :drinker:

ETA: Forgot to mention that the peel on a Yukon Gold potato is divine. Don't peel it!!! It's my favorite part of the potato - unlike the nasty tough skin of a russet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I hope you weigh your potatoes. Most of them are much more than 110 calories (148g).

But yes, I have them, I think I actually had 3 last week.