Up my calories?

Hi, I'm a girl, 5ft10 and I currently weigh 173lbs. Even though I'm happy I finally have a 'healthy' BMI, I still have some weight I want to lose but I seem to have hit a plateau.
I started losing weight 3 months ago and lost 32 pounds by excercising 2hours a day (sometimes more) and eating 1200(-1300) calories (lots of protein, low carb). But that doesn't seem to work anymore. I even work out 4 hours a day now (2hours at the gym, 2 hours swimming) but my body still refuses to shed pounds :(. My mom says I should up my calories to 1500 a day... I'm just really scared that it will make me gain weight. Any tips?

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    A) You are obviously not eating a deficit right now. Weigh your food!

B) You should be and should have been eating WAY more than 1200 with all the exercise you do.

C) All of the above.

I vote C
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    How long have you been at the plateau? Have you changed the type of exercising you are doing? Not necessarily longer, just trying something different? Have you run your TDEE for your new levels? If so, is the result close to what your mom says your calorie goal should be? You can try upping your calories, and even if you initially gain a couple pounds, it will likely stabilize and you will start losing again.

Bottom line: a plateau can last for quite a while and then you will finally break through it. Patience is needed.

You've done great at reaching a healthy BMI. Congratulations!
  • Airi8
    Airi8 Posts: 14

B) You should be and should have been eating WAY more than 1200 with all the exercise you do.

C) All of the above.

I vote C

I weigh all my food and count every calorie, thank you very much. Plus, other than the excercise I do, I don't move around all that much since I'm a student, so I'm stuck behind a desk most of the time, so I think 1200 isn't "way" too low.
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Be sure your minimum calorific intake is at least 10x=body weight/lbs to avoid 'starvation response'.
    Otherwise your metabolism will slow down and you'll find it harder to utilize stored fat as fuel.
    (I'm a professionally qualified nutritionist)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Either your workouts are extremely low intensity, or your food logging is messed up, because you cannot support that level of activity on that level of calories.

Open up your diary...
  • Mr_Knight
    Be sure your minimum calorific intake is at least 10x=body weight/lbs to avoid 'starvation response'.
    Otherwise your metabolism will slow down and you'll find it harder to utilize stored fat as fuel.
    The quote above is nonsense.
    (I'm a professionally qualified nutritionist)
    It's still nonsense.
  • DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    1200 seems very low for the amount of calories you're burning working out 4 hrs a day. Swimming burns a lot! I would up your calories.
  • Airi8
    How long have you been at the plateau? Have you changed the type of exercising you are doing? Not necessarily longer, just trying something different? Have you run your TDEE for your new levels? If so, is the result close to what your mom says your calorie goal should be? You can try upping your calories, and even if you initially gain a couple pounds, it will likely stabilize and you will start losing again.

Bottom line: a plateau can last for quite a while and then you will finally break through it. Patience is needed.

Umm, about 2-3 weeks? And yes, I do change my excercises regularely or make them more intense.
    I've never calculated my TDEE level before, just did right now, and it appears to be 1900 calories which sounds like A LOT to me. But anyways, I think I'll first try upping my calories to 1400 and see what happens then. Thanks!
  • Airi8
    Either your workouts are extremely low intensity, or your food logging is messed up, because you cannot support that level of activity on that level of calories.

Open up your diary...

My workout intensity isn't low and my food logging isn't messed up. Not everyone is the same. I can workout this much with this amount of calories.
  • puddlegoo
    puddlegoo Posts: 1 Member
    I think people tend to forget that as you continue to exercise and live healthily, there are other changes that occurs in your body that are not tracked well by the scale. I know it's great and fun to keep track of weight lost, and I don't have a problem with having those types of goals. I have them myself.

I think it's most important to track how your clothes feel, how you look in the mirror, and how you feel. There have been times in my life that I worked really hard, but did not notice a drop in weight. My clothes seemed looser, though. People who know me well noticed changes in me. It just did not happen on the scale. At least not for certain time periods.

Stop looking at the scale. Maybe even put it in the closet. Keep doing what you're doing (although your calories are pretty damned low if you're working out 2 hours per day). Pull it out again in a month and see what happens.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    bump
  • Mr_Knight
    My workout intensity isn't low and my food logging isn't messed up. Not everyone is the same. I can workout this much with this amount of calories.

Open up your diary.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

C) All of the above.

I vote C

I weigh all my food and count every calorie, thank you very much. Plus, other than the excercise I do, I don't move around all that much since I'm a student, so I'm stuck behind a desk most of the time, so I think 1200 isn't "way" too low.

1200 is to low for a 5'10'' 170 pound young woman who is sedentary and is way to low for one who is exercising. If you have been eating 1200 calories and exercising 2-4 hours a day for a long time I would share others suspicions that you might be eating more than you think you are as it is hard to believe that would be sustainable.
  • Aaron_K123

Umm, about 2-3 weeks? And yes, I do change my excercises regularely or make them more intense.
    I've never calculated my TDEE level before, just did right now, and it appears to be 1900 calories which sounds like A LOT to me. But anyways, I think I'll first try upping my calories to 1400 and see what happens then. Thanks!

For your activity level and size 1900 sounds low to me to be honest, not high. 1900 sounds more like your NEAT than your TDEE.

The calculator I typically use to calculate my TDEE gives me that for a 25 year old 5'10'' 173 pound woman doing cardio level exercise for 3 hours a day would have a BMR of 1600, a NEAT of 2000 and a TDEE of 2700.

If you are seriously working out 3 hours a day I would recommend closer to 2000 calories per day.
  • Aaron_K123

Open up your diary...

"Not everyone is the same" only takes you so far. No one is going to be doing 3 hours of intensive cardio daily eating 1200 calories a day and be able to sustain that. You could not maintain your glycogen stores doing that and you would bonk out hard.

I'm your weight and I have to eat about 2100 calories a day to be able to handle 1 hour of daily exercise with intensity. If I tried to do 3 hours a day I wouldn't last 2 weeks, would probably have to up my intake to 2800 calories.
  • malditaka
    malditaka Posts: 2
    You've asked for advice but have pretty much shut down everyone that has offered it. 1200 is way too low. "Not everyone is the same." True, but obviously, your program isn't working for you anymore.

It's time to switch it up and increase your intake.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    themeaningofthemorning Posts: 320 Member

C) All of the above.

I vote C
    how can it be all of the above when those are literally two contradictory statements
  • Orangesky50
    Orangesky50 Posts: 10 Member
    My advice would be to SLOWLY bring up the amount you are eating until you are eating more calories. Increase the amount VERY slowly each day. After you are able to eat more calories, and maintain a certain weight for a time, THEN decrease them again and see what happens. I am learning that it is best to eat the most amount of calories that your body can handle and still loose weight. Our body wants to stay in homeostasis. Rest your body, eat healthy food but SLOWLY increase the calories, when your metabolism levels out, then decrease the calories again. I found this advice on the internet and it makes SO MUCH sense. Our bodies want to stay the same, they want to be in homeostasis. So, your body wants to stay the same size. Slowly increase calories up to maintenance level for you and patiently allow your body to adjust to the new you. THEN.... Decrease your calories just enough to loose weight. This is where I have always struggled. This isn't about will power, it is about caring for your body. Easy does it, I think.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Yeah your TDEE is probably around 3000 with all that exercise. You should be eating over 2000 calories.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 604 Member
    My advice would be to SLOWLY bring up the amount you are eating until you are eating more calories. Increase the amount VERY slowly each day. After you are able to eat more calories, and maintain a certain weight for a time, THEN decrease them again and see what happens. I am learning that it is best to eat the most amount of calories that your body can handle and still loose weight. Our body wants to stay in homeostasis. Rest your body, eat healthy food but SLOWLY increase the calories, when your metabolism levels out, then decrease the calories again. I found this advice on the internet and it makes SO MUCH sense. Our bodies want to stay the same, they want to be in homeostasis. So, your body wants to stay the same size. Slowly increase calories up to maintenance level for you and patiently allow your body to adjust to the new you. THEN.... Decrease your calories just enough to loose weight. This is where I have always struggled. This isn't about will power, it is about caring for your body. Easy does it, I think.

This. ^^^^ Increase by 100 calories per day for 1-2 week increments until your weight stabilizes. Look at my ticker. I eat 2200 calories a day and lose over a pound a week. It can be done. Do not be afraid to eat, it fuels your body and your metabolism. Higher calories, higher metabolism, higher rate of burn, higher calorie intake to maintain. The opposite is low calories, low metabolism, low burn rate, low calorie intake to maintain.

Also, read this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience