The elliptical says I burned 500 calories in 40 minutes

Options
Is this possible? I did run on a 13 setting(out of 20) and a 19 setting for half of the time!?

Replies

• TonyPillz
    TonyPillz Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    500 kals sounds right for 40 minutes to be honest , depends how hard you worked.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    And what you weigh. If you're tiny that seems very high
  • Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It depends on how hard you worked I suppose. I wear a heart rate monitor when ever I do cardio in the gym to calculate calories burned. I don’t think the calorie counters on gym equipment is very accurate.

In half an hour I can usually burn 250 – 300 calories depending on how hard I push my self.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    According to the one I use at the gym, I burn 300 calories in 30 minutes.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I usually burn 500 in 65 minutes on level 1 going about 6.5-7.0 mph.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you know what your average heart rate was, I find this site is really good: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

I usually plug in on that site what my HRM thought I burned for a workout, and it's never far off. The other day riding my bike I burned 520 in 47 mins, and I was only trying to go hard on the way, and then a pretty normal pace <16kph on the way back.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm generally skeptical of anything that tells me that my burn is more than 600 kcal/hr. If I hit around that level I believe it only if my heart was pounding out of my chest for most of it. I think a lot of machines tend to overestimate burn.

As others have mentioned though its not just about the machine its about you, how big you are and your heart rate during the exercise.

A 300 pound person huffing and heaving through a routine as their heart pounds is going to burn a ton more calories than a 150 pound marathoner who doesn't even break a sweat doing the exact same thing.
  • andresconejo
    andresconejo Posts: 264
    Options
    Actually it is possible, i burn 200-300 in 25 minutes and i use a HRM, but it all depends on your heart rate, height, age, weight and gender...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Actually it is possible, i burn 200-300 in 25 minutes and i use a HRM, but it all depends on your heart rate, height, age, weight and gender...

Eh I'm skeptical even of HRM's. My HRM told me that after 50 minutes of an at-home cardio workout I had burned 900 calories. Yeah right.