Kroger CARBMaster yogurt

Has anyone tried? Total of 4g of carbs w/ 9g of protein (Peach), but what the heck is it made of??? Cup says it's a "dairy blend" ... of what??

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Has anyone tried? Total of 4g of carbs w/ 9g of protein (Peach), but what the heck is it made of??? Cup says it's a "dairy blend" ... of what??

All I know is it's delicious!
  • mmmcrane
    mmmcrane Posts: 22 Member
    I love all the flavors!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I eat 2-3 of them per lunch.

Usually end up buying about 30 of them at a time, lol. They are almost equivalent to Dannon Light & Fit but cheaper. If you eat a **** load like me, they are worth it.
  • phofilled
    phofilled Posts: 22
    My 7 yr old and hubby loves them, I on the other hand don't. I wish I could like them since the Dannon Light & Fit that I eat is more carbs, but so much more enjoyable. The carbmasters aren't horrible, I can just tell it's some sort of substitute. Personally, I would rather eat my Dannon and have the slightly higher carbs (and enjoy my breakfast/snack), rather than sacrifice the taste and have low carbs. But just my on opinion. :)
  • highcarbveganzombie
    highcarbveganzombie Posts: 68 Member
    I have tried them and didn't like them. They have this odd after taste, kind of like diet soda.... :\
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    LOVE them!
  • tchoo3
    tchoo3 Posts: 9 Member
    It tastes delicious to me :)) It has great macros and I'm not going to question them haha
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    I have tried them and didn't like them. They have this odd after taste, kind of like diet soda.... :\

I agree, they had a strange acid tang aftertaste to me. Wasn't horrible, and I could learn to like them if I had to.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    I buy these by the cart full. Hubster requires low carb (diabetes controlled with diet), and he LOVES them. I prefer greek myself.

It's made of yogurt with added milk proteins, gelatin, agar, and corn starch to thicken it back up. I figure they dilute the yogurt down then thicken it up. At least it still has active cultures.

There are some theories that after culturing the milk, that yogurt carbs are lower than what is listed on the pkg anyway. Here's some chatter about one theory: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/yogurtcarbs.htm

Atkins discourages yogurt due to carbs apparently: http://www.livestrong.com/article/296708-low-carb-diet-yogurt/

This post (on another board - sorry MFP) gives an interesting breakdown: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138905

The debate goes on....
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    So, what you have here is water with instant milk and a whole lot of thickeners, non-caloric flavoring agents,and a touch of yogurt cultures. If you like it, fine. Personally, I drain cheap plain yogurt to get yummy Greek yogurt with no additives. Instructions here: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/snack/other-snack/greek-yogurt-bargain.html

Okay, I searched around and ascertained Fred Meyer CARBmaster yogurt and Kroger CARBmaster yogurt are the same thing and then found ingredients lists on www.fooducate.com

The ingredients of the vanilla are (in order by descending amount) :
    water
    milk protein concentrate
    whey protein concentrate
    cream
    modified corn starch (stabilizer, thickening agent)
    glycerine (used as preservative, sweetener, thickener or humectant; humectants help things stay moist)
    natural and artificial flavor (no requirement for manufacturer to say what this is)
    salt
    gelatin (gives a thicker, creamier feel to yogurt)
    tricalcium phosphate (anti-caking properties and added calcium)
    malic acid (adds tart flavor)
    phosphoric acid (acidifies foods)
    pectin (stabilizer and gelling agent, extends shelf life)
    agar (thickener and gelling agent)
    cultured dextrose (a sugar with preservative capabilities to fight mold and bacterial growth)
    sodium citrate (acidity regulator, adds flavor, some preservative action)
    sucralose (non-nutritive artificial sweetener)
    acesulfame potassium (artificial sweetener)
    annatto and turmeric (for color) (spices)
    vitamin a palmitate (used to replace the vitamin A lost in food processing)
    vitamin d3
    active cultures with l. acidophilus, b bifidum (the bacteria that change milk into yogurt)

Oops, I'm wrong -- the Kroger is slightly different from the Fred Meyer -- but you get the idea. Here's the precise Kroger CARBmaster vanilla list: water, milk protein concentrate, milk protein isolate, cream, skim milk, modified corn starch, glycerine, natural and artificial flavor, salt, gelatin, tricalcium phosphate, malic acid, phosphoric acid, pectin, agar, cultured dextrose, sodium citrate, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, annatto and turmeric extract (for color), vitamin a palmitate, vitamin d3, and active cultures with l. acidophilus and b. bifidum.