What made you join myfitnesspal?

Options
What was your inspiration? What was your breaking point? What made you start eating clean and working out?

Replies

• saraharnoldnelson
    saraharnoldnelson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My brother and his wife started using MFP successfully. My dad followed suit with good result. I have researched options, but MFP seems like the simplest option - with the best chance of long-term follow through.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I heard about it from my doctor a while back, I was losing some weight on my own and she noticed and asked me if I'd heard of it.

Been enjoying it! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I did it to accumulate over 20,000 posts.:laugh: :laugh:

In actuality, as a professional in the fitness industry, I joined because I just want to share what I know with others.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I reached my highest weight ever (139), after graduating college and no longer participating regularly in sports. I had no idea how to lose weight as I had never struggled with weight, so I was pretty much clueless. I found MFP on a whim & it's really helped as I am almost back to my high school weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

In actuality, as a professional in the fitness industry, I joined because I just want to share what I know with others.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Dude, when did you become a mod?! That's awesome!
    Today. I applied like 2 years ago!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • tatecass
    tatecass Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I didn't have an "ah ha" moment. A coworker showed me the app on his phone and it was so much easier than writing everything down in a food journal so I went with it! :) I love the sense of community and not going it alone here!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Well I don't eat clean, I eat to fit my macros. But what made my join mfp was that I was tired of searching for the food items manually and then having to write them on paper. so I searched for an app that could track my calories and macros, and found mfp.
  • shellsan
    shellsan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit and saw the "works with myfitnesspal" links. Decided to check it out. I like the food tracking and community here. I like the steps/stairs/sleep tracking with fitbit
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Dates.

1061424.gif
  • WisheeNY
    WisheeNY Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I liked how active the site was. I used SparkPeople in the past when I tried to lose weight but I like the MFP community and tools better. Plus when I used to Google stuff about weight loss and fitness, something from MFP allllllways came up. Figure that must mean there was something good here and I was right.
  • ambascom
    ambascom Posts: 59
    Options
    I had just spent Christmas with my then boyfriend's family and his mom bought me a shirt that was so tight, I felt like a giant whale. I was embarrassed to wear it and she thought that I hated the present. I couldn't even express to him how I felt about it, that I kept everything hidden. A week after I came home, on a Sunday, I woke up and decided today was the day. Weighed myself three times, took the average (242.2), and started my journey. I'm now 210, single, and finally finding myself. I tried mfp once before but I wasn't mentally ready to commit to losing weight that I gave up after one night. This time around, I made it a priority and I'm closing in on 500 days into my journey!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I was 344 lbs (about 43 bmi) when I started. I had lost some weight before (down to about 250-260) using a shareware calorie tracking program that I could not maintain (cost of purchase)... When I stopped tracking, I changed my eating habits and started regaining. About a month or so into this endeavor, I found MFP... It was free and contained many of the foods in its database that I have to eat when I'm on the road... and the app is most convenient. I've been here every since and have lost now about 120 lbs or so and have kept it off for a bit over 2 years now... Seems to work. I also now enjoy the community and the opportunity to maybe help others along the way.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Dude, when did you become a mod?! That's awesome!
    Today. I applied like 2 years ago!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

Good to see somebody who is commonly on during the night shift on the mod board... Maybe we can shut down some of these late night ads... :-)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP because it works and is free. I had previously joined Weight Watchers and love it but it cost money. Why pay when you could get the same for free?

Oh, I almost forgot. I don't at clean. It's a preference but not my preference.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Good to see somebody who is commonly on during the night shift on the mod board... Maybe we can shut down some of these late night ads... :-)
    Oh yeah, that will be awesome!

Ok... MFP wasn't my first rodeo. At first I just used its database to look up calorie counts I could enter into the Jawbone UP app on my computer, before MFP supported Jawbone. After my UP band broke, I got a Fitbit... MFP already supported Fitbit and I had a newly minted iPod that would run it, so... tada. Downloaded the app and started logging. I lurked the forums, but it took a while before I was brave enough to enter the fray, especially after a PM run-in with a group owner on a particularly low day. But there are so many really great people here, I couldn't help but get sucked into the social side. :smooched: :smile:
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Our medical insurance here in South Africa has a Vitality plan which is a rewards based "healthy lifestyle" program that gives accumulative points for exercising and status specific rewards. So, to get daily activity points I first got my wife and I a Fitbit each as this is a linked "Vitality" partner. The whole FitBit thing made a big impact on our health and lifestyle awareness, especially as we are competitive dirtbikers.
    We then decided to go the whole way and start logging our daily nutrition intake. Based on the very frugal food database FitBit has, especially for South African type foods, we started searching around for easier ways to continue this trend, and settled on a trial run of two apps we thought to be best suited to our requirements, and so ran Fat Secret and MFP simultaneously for a while.
    Although I have found Fat Secret to be a far more accurate site with regards to it's food database, and overall interface, the fact that it does not link with any other apps or devices counts against it, so I have decided to stick with MFP.
    I am a bit of a gadget geek and now run a host of apps that link and sync all over! Just being aware of things, knowing what we are putting into our bodies, and linking this all to our training program has added a more accurate, nearly scientific approach to our workouts, and I have dropped just over 8% body fat and increased lean muscle mass in this time period.
    I have our medical service provider, Discovery Health to thank for nudging us over to this healthier approach to what we do! The whole reasoning behind their Vitality program makes perfect sense now..
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I first joined a year-ish ago because ALL my co-workers were raving about it. But I didn't use it because I was already using WW. Well, I dumped WW shortly after and stopped weighing myself, and the pounds just piled back on and more. When I saw photos of myself at my father's funeral, I was disgusted. But I wasn't ready for a change. Now I'm 2.5 months post-op from my last jaw surgery and I can get pregnant now (before we were on a 'you better not get pregnant because then you cannot have surgery because of the anesthesia factor'). And now that the only thing stopping me from getting pregnant is my weight. I gotta do this. Failure is not an option. It is for myself. For my unborn children. For my husband.