What do you do after falling off the wagon for a day?

Options
So i've been losing weight pretty steadily for the past several weeks, except for the past week I seemed to hit a plateau, and today I went waay over my calorie goal. I allowed myself a little treat after going out with some coworkers, and it seemed like after that my mind just went "aw screw it" and way overdid my calories for the day. And the scale said I gained two freakin pounds from yesterday! So my question is, if you guys are human like I am, what do you do to undo the damage after a slip-up like this? I'm thinking of doing a one or two day fast because I've read that it can help jump-start your weight-loss once it plateaus, and I wouldn't mind dropping a couple of pounds quick after this junky day that totally undid a lot of hard work. Bad idea? Good idea? Help me! :)

Replies

• lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    batman_quote_and_why_do_we_fall_bruce.jpg
  • RiniSixxx
    RiniSixxx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I actually set a day of the week (for me it's Friday) and i don't worry about my calorie limit too much. Within reason of course, I'll allow myself pasta or cake or go out to eat with friends and just order a meal and enjoy it. I look forward to it every week and I've read a bit about how it can confuse your body and stop your metabolism from declining too much. We're all human, mistakes happen :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You dont need to fast. Just get back on the wagon, do what was working for you before, and drink lots of water - that weight gain is probably water retention after eating salty things on your blow out.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    One day is not going to hurt. It took more than a day to gain the weight in the first place. You just keep doing what you have been and it will be fine.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Fasting after over eating is not a good idea as it can set people up into a cycle of punishing themselves for enjoying food, which in turn can result in binge-purge behaviours.

Simply put it behind you and get back on track today. Any weight gain will just be water retention and will leave the body in a few days.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The first thing to do is realize humans are robots. Your life will change from day to day and the key is to get back on track as soon as possible. As stated above, one day isn't going to cause any damage as long as you get back on track. I wouldn't stress over making it up. I would go back to my plan and allow my body to adjust over time.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    So i've been losing weight pretty steadily for the past several weeks, except for the past week I seemed to hit a plateau, and today I went waay over my calorie goal. I allowed myself a little treat after going out with some coworkers, and it seemed like after that my mind just went "aw screw it" and way overdid my calories for the day. And the scale said I gained two freakin pounds from yesterday! So my question is, if you guys are human like I am, what do you do to undo the damage after a slip-up like this? I'm thinking of doing a one or two day fast because I've read that it can help jump-start your weight-loss once it plateaus, and I wouldn't mind dropping a couple of pounds quick after this junky day that totally undid a lot of hard work. Bad idea? Good idea? Help me! :)

It's not possible to gain two pounds of fat in a day. It's literally physically impossible. It's water weight, mostly likely because of the sodium in your junk food. It will go away.

Meanwhile, as for what to do about it: Brush yourself off and do better tomorrow. Fasting isn't necessary, just get back on the horse. At worst, you might have extended hitting your goal by a week, and that's if you ate like a whole pizza on top of your normal calories.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What do I do after falling off the wagon? I get right back on. I tell myself that one day in the whole scheme of my life does not really matter, as long as I don't make it a habit. Oh...and I NEVER weigh myself daily. Weekly is plenty.
  • d3m1urge
    d3m1urge Posts: 38
    Options
    Eat completely normal the next day. It doesn't matter.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I get back on the wagon, the next day ; )
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    I get back on the wagon, the next day ; )

This and carry on with life
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    this is all part of the journey, be easy on yourself, just start logging & weighing again, & remind yourself why you're doing all this
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You get right back on. It is all you can do really and the better long term solution. Don't beat yourself up!
  • Badger618
    Badger618 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it, you had fun. Everyone deserves to do that. Get back on that pony & ride!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

i think a 2 day fast is a great idea... and then you can post about how you binged again because you starved yourself....

you dont need to 'do' anything... just get back to eating at a deficit and forget about it.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: First of all I don't beat myself up. It happens. The next day I really watch it. I will eat my healthy meals but subtract
    the amount of "off the wagon calories." or eat well but light. Then when I work out a may do an extra 5 to 10 minutes on the bike or treadmill. Just get back into your habit of eating well and living the life you deserve. One of our members stated that this is a journey. Well just keep going. You are still in control. :flowerforyou:
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Get back on, do not let one item putting you over your calories mess with your head. It was one thing, you have to tell yourself that and move on. Do not let that be an excuse to say screw it for the rest of the day or week.... Admit you may have messed up, log it and move on. I know, easier said than done, but you can do it!
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Nobody got skinny in a day! Just the same as NOBODY got fat in a day!

Get back on it and carry on. It's one day!
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Even after a week of binging, like on holiday for example. Put on like 7lbs, nobody puts on 7lbs of fat in a week, it's mainly water weight.

So one day.... just forget it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Get back on it. Log it, move on. I calorie cycle, so I might eat lighter the next day, if it is convenient. Or I might eat lighter 2 or 3 days later. But I didn't put this weight on in a day, and no matter how bad a day I have, I won't gain it back in a day either.