Have you ever eaten all your calories by lunchtime?

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
Yesterday I had the experience of how a few poor choices can ruin an entire day's plan. I had to go to a workshop for my job. I ate a light breakfast before I went home (English muffin and grapefruit). Usually, this event has some breakfast food, fruit and pastry, but there was no fruit. I was fine until around 11:00, when I felt starved and woozy, so I ate a small muffin. Lunch was served at 1:00. I did choose a veggie wrap and some pasta salad (dressed in oil) but unfortunately, also a small bag of saltnvinegar chips (which I love) and a small cookie. When I went home and logged, I realized I had eaten all my calories for the entire day! Also because it was a busy day, I didn't have time for a workout other than a 30 minute walk. Moreover, I was going to the theater that night and met my daughter for dinner. I ate healthy -- Vegetable raw spring roll and a seafood pho -- but theoretically, I should have eaten nothing. Anyone had one of those days! It's one thing to actually have a cheat day that you enjoy, but this was downright depressing.

Replies

• sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Options
    Don't be depressed by it. You're only human so it's bound to happen. Just because you had one bad day doesn't mean you failed all of your diet. I do have days like that too. You might be surprised, but it might actually work out in your favour. As your body gets used to what amount of food you're feeding it, it becomes more efficient at NOT burning down the fact. Silly how it works really, but your body really really likes to have those energy reserves. A little shake up might make it think that it's getting more food now, so overall you'll do better. Keep at it :)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had the experience of how a few poor choices can ruin an entire day's plan. I had to go to a workshop for my job. I ate a light breakfast before I went home (English muffin and grapefruit). Usually, this event has some breakfast food, fruit and pastry, but there was no fruit. I was fine until around 11:00, when I felt starved and woozy, so I ate a small muffin. Lunch was served at 1:00. I did choose a veggie wrap and some pasta salad (dressed in oil) but unfortunately, also a small bag of saltnvinegar chips (which I love) and a small cookie. When I went home and logged, I realized I had eaten all my calories for the entire day! Also because it was a busy day, I didn't have time for a workout other than a 30 minute walk. Moreover, I was going to the theater that night and met my daughter for dinner. I ate healthy -- Vegetable raw spring roll and a seafood pho -- but theoretically, I should have eaten nothing. Anyone had one of those days! It's one thing to actually have a cheat day that you enjoy, but this was downright depressing.
    I think we have all done that before.

Just remember, one bad meal, or day, didnt you a person overweight, just like one good meal/day wont make a person skinny.

Instead of being depressed about it just think about how good it all tasted and start anew that evening/next day.
    You never know, and it has happened to me and many others, having a bad meal/day can also have some positive effects as it can be a change to your body for the good
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    yep- I'm pretty close to it today already - If I eat a light lunch and light dinner - and get some workout time in - I MIGHT make it. Somedays are better than others......you are human - log, move on.......do better tomorrow.
  • katrinatway
    Options
    I agree. Today I decided to start back logging whatever I put in my mouth just so I can be accountable. I haven't eaten lunch yet and only have about 700 calories left. I guess I will take a slow walk during lunch and maybe one this evening to help out. One thing is this, I have noticed that when I track/log what I put in my mouth, I become more aware at what I'm eating. It doesn't necessarily mean that I will always make a good choice, but I am definitely aware. Hang in there.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Similar days have occurred for me. I used to do this more often when I first started MFP but it still happens on occasion. I usually have a couple of options for really low calorie satisfying dinners....around 150-300 calories. Usually I go with a salad topped with imitation crab or salad shrimp and a low cal sauce...or a bunch of sautéed peppers, mushrooms & onions with a little melted mozzarella (keyword: little) and some Sriracha.
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Quite often actually, dang it :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    could it be because you have your goal set at 1288 a day...that's pretty low

Do you have your weekly weight loss goal at 2lbs? or maybe even 1...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    No. I pre-log.

However, you ate all of your calories because 1200 a day is probably way too low for you. Eat more.

...that doesn't sound like 1200 calories, to be honest. By "bag of chips" do you mean a full-size bag or a sncak-size bag?
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I usually pre log but today I have eaten way over my calories it happens like that sometimes. I'd actually prefer it to happen before lunch when I still have a workout to do in the day versus late at night.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have started a "weekly average" goal so that I don't freak out and can just get in a long workout and low-cal day to balance it out. It works a lot better for me so I don't get discouraged and blow it up.
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think I have you beat on this one. My husband and I went out of town last weekend to spend some time with my mother-in-law over mothers day. She cooked up a huge delicious breakfast and I blew all my calories in one meal. Bacon, orange juice, eggs, pillsbury rolls (YUMM!), hashbrowns.... it was AMAZING! Unfortunately, all those things are crazy high in calories. 1300 calories easy. Of course, I was in "vacation mode" so I didn't worry too much about it, but still. Sometimes it can be disheartening to realize how easy it is to overeat if you don't constantly watch.
  • cherow123
    cherow123 Posts: 13
    Options
    Yep!! Yesterday I ate my healthy lunch and then preceeded to eat half a roll of oreos! I just made sure to make time for the treadmill that evening and to remember "tomorrow is a new day"
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    This is why instead of a set calorie goal I use a range. I had my calories set to 1200 but have upped it to 1300. (don't like to see red numbers) I don't actually stick to the 1300.

I try to eat at least 1200 and under 1500. This way, if I reach 1200 by lunch I still have 300 left for a small dinner.

As long as I stay at a deficit I really don't mind eating a little more one day and a little less the next.

Wish I could set my goal as a range.
  • lalee93
    lalee93 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue yesterday, but at dinner time. I didn't eat nearly enough for breakfast or lunch, so by dinner I was starved and was craving pizza like none other. I gave in and went hog wild. I probably went 300-400 over on my calories (can't find something to compare for that half a slice of dessert pizza I ate :huh: ).

Worst part of the experience? The pizza sucked :sad: I can think of so many other things that were yummy to gorge on.

Anyway, to address what you originally posted, don't skip a meal or anything like that, just start the next day fresh and do the best you can. We make mistakes, but what is important is that we don't lose sight of the goal and just keep on going. You can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    No. I pre-log.

However, you ate all of your calories because 1200 a day is probably way too low for you. Eat more.

...that doesn't sound like 1200 calories, to be honest. By "bag of chips" do you mean a full-size bag or a sncak-size bag?

The bag of chips was one of those snack sizes you get with a catered lunch. In response to SexyStef, I'm set to lose only 1/2 lb. a week, and I'm very short, only 5'1.5". Also I only got a 30 minute walk for exercise, so there wasn't much to "eat back." If I had done a heavy workout, I'd probably be all set, but my day was just going from one thing to another. Next time, I'm bringing fruit, even to catered conferences and workshops because there is no guaranty it will be there, and I might make bad choices.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's definitely happened to me. If I notice I'm over by mid-day, I plan for a very light dinner - egg whites with veggies, or a salad.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of my calorie logging journey, I would frequently eat all my calories by breakfast. Sad.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes I have. This week in fact. Then I ate a healthy dinner. The next day I was still alive and well and had not gained back all my weight. Life went on completely as normal. It was crazy.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes but it mostly happens when I'm out and not in control of where we eat(which usually ends up being fast food)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No. I plan better than that.