What to Eat after Wisdom Teeth Extraction?

Options
ellelit
ellelit Posts: 806 Member
hello, i was wondering if anyone has any idea for safe (and preferably not disgusting lol) things to eat after Wisdom Teeth Extraction? getting ready for surgery of all 4 teeth on the 27th (they are all impacted and i have to get it done at the hospital), so looking for some ideas. thanks!

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    hello, i was wondering if anyone has any idea for safe (and preferably not disgusting lol) things to eat after Wisdom Teeth Extraction? getting ready for surgery of all 4 teeth on the 27th (they are all impacted and i have to get it done at the hospital), so looking for some ideas. thanks!
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Soup, Jello, Smoothies
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    to help you keep your cals up milkshakes are also a good idea. A small McDonalds shake has something like 400+ cals.

Also, when you're drinking it don't use a straw. You have a better chance of getting dry socket that way. Just spoon it into your mouth.

Oh and one more thing, bags of frozen peas are awesome for packing your face in ice. All 4 of mine were impacted too and that's what I used to help ice my face. I hope you don't swell/bruise too much!

Good luck with your wisdom teeth.
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    get ready to lose some lbs! I lost 7 when I had mine done. I couldn't eat for the first 4 days, but then I had soup and really soft garlic bread sticks. Everyone reacts differently to this surgery. You might be fine the next day!!! I had a tough time. :sick:
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    After I had my wisdom teeth extracted I ate yogurt, soups and lots of protein shakes.

I would put the following into my protein shakes:
    Protein powder
    Soy milk
    Yogurt
    Fruit such as peaches or bananas (make sure to stay away from strawberries, raspberries and other fruits with little seeds.

And be sure to use a straw.
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Like someone else mentioned - Make sure you don't use a straw. Yogurt, custard, gazpacho, oatmeal. When I got mine cut out I didn't feel like eating the first day and then after that I pretty much ate normal foods and chewed with my front teeth.:laugh:
  • jfiscer
    jfiscer Posts: 24
    Options
    I had this done when I was in high school, all I remember is the pain during
    the surgery. The next day I looked like a chipmunk, my cheeks were so
    swollen, but I remember being able to eat with no problem.
    I'm sorry you have to experience this!:frown:
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/wisdom-teeth?page=2

I'm sure your oral surgeon will go over care with you, but here's what webmd.com recommends.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat for about 2 days after mine were out... I couldn't even open my mouth enough to get a straw in.

Try your best to stick with soft foods, you heal up pretty fast. The first day is a killer though.
  • kittybellenir
    kittybellenir Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Applesauce, broth, pudding, of course I slept for two straight days and only woke up long enough to drink some gatorade, the Doc gave me some pretty good meds!!!!!:happy: However, don't use a straw or smoke anything and see if they have like a little syringe(sp?) type thing that you can wash the holes out with, my brother had his wisdom teeth removed and got dry socket , he said it was the worst pain he'd ever had.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    DO NOT use a straw!! I didn't listen when the MD said to not use a straw...and i got drysocket in both lower holes. It hurt so badly I couldn't eat solid foods for over 2 weeks!!!

Eat soups (tomato, broccoli cheese), smoothies with no seeds, milkshakes, and soft foods like pasta.

Good luck!
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of pudding lol. I had mine taken out in high school when I was a picky eater...but those pudding snacks aren't too many calories. I also remember having soup and milkshakes and eggs. Not a whole lot you can have, but hopefully you'll recover quickly so you don't have to eat like that for too long.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    After I had my wisdom teeth extracted I ate yogurt, soups and lots of protein shakes.

I would put the following into my protein shakes:
    Protein powder
    Soy milk
    Yogurt
    Fruit such as peaches or bananas (make sure to stay away from strawberries, raspberries and other fruits with little seeds.

And be sure to use a straw.

Oops...I meant "And be sure NOT to use a straw. Thanks everyone for correcting me, guess I was typing too fast while at work.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've had two wisdom teeth and two molars extracted and I know that you don't drink from a straw. I also remember that there was no pain with my extractions so don't let other posters scare you into thinking this is a painful procedure.

Good Luck!
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    I haven't had my wisdom teeth out, but I have had jaw surgery and had to be on a liquid diet for several weeks.
    I drank SlimFast to make sure I got enough nutrients since it was going to be so long. I also drank soup (butternut squash = love), runny mashed potato, and frozen yoghurt smoothies.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    anything but sunflower seeds! Yikes! I got one stuck in there a couple of days out...I was just plain stupid...didn't think.
    Cowboy
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    here comes my professional wisdom...a soft diet. applesauce yougurt mashed taters shakes and this may seem disgusting and believe me it is...if you wanna get in protien toss meat into a chopper and pulse it or even puree it. Its almost like making your own baby food, but it is nutrition afterall
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone said: I mostly had chicken broth, scrambled eggs, frosties from Wendy's, and jello. I also rinsed with a strong salt water solution every few hours for a couple of minutes. I had to go to hospital as well, and I just remember waking up feeling really tired and a bit sore. It wasn't that bad!

I also went to my sister's house about two days afterward and my whole family was eating apple crisp with ice cream and it smelled and looked SO GOOD . . . I couldn't resist and ended up blending some of it up in the blender . . . looked nasty, but SO yummy! :laugh:
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I remember eating cottage cheese, along with drinking carnation instant breakfasts
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    my brother got his out the Monday before Thanksgiving. He just blended the whole dinner and drank it. :drinker: :laugh: