what's the trick to getting your cals without going over on

Options
I hit a plateau last week, and looked at ym food diaries to see if I could figure out what happened. I've steadily been losing about 2 lb/week for 6 months. Then - nothing.

I started a job about 8 weeks ago, but the only thing that really changed in my eating habits was eating cereal and a banana for breakfast instead of an egg beaters omelette and a banana for breakfast. My overall calories and fat grams for each day were fine, but my carbs were consistently over by 30 - 40 each day.

So, starting Saturday, I've made an effort to not go over 150 carbs for the day, and so far no problem. The problem is I'm not getting 1200/cals a day anymore. Tonight, for instance, I'm at 150 carbs, and only around 950 cals. About 17 grams of fat out of 30.

So I guess I really have 2 questions: 1) are there any foods out there that are more calories dense without being high in carbs? and 2) if I go over on carbs, but am under on fat grams, do they balance each other out? Seems like carbs are 4 calories and fat grams are 9?

and (what the heck - might as well go for the triple play!) 3) do fiber grams really count against carbs?

Sorry this is so long - and I appreciate any help!

Replies

• Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Are you working out at all? Sometimes our body hits a plateau because it adjust to what we are doing. Body's are very adaptable and if you aren't switching things up every now and then plateaus are more likely to happen. Its probably not solely because of your carbs.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Its hard to tell without looking at your diary. How is your protein intake? Protein is a good way to get calories without carbs. That is the difference between egg beaters and cereal as well.

Since you just hit the plateau last week, it isn't that alarming. You need to plateau sometime, and with how much you've lost, I would say this is normal. Are you eating the same thing everyday? If so, switch it up. How is your exercise? Water intake?

And fiber CAN 'sort of' counterbalance some calories, because unsoluble fiber acts as a pipe cleaner for your system. It is not digested, and so it just travels through your system, and some stuff just attaches itself to it.

So to question 1, veggies and meats
    question 2, no. they are different nutritional elements.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    nuts/nut butters are calorie dense and if you get naturals they don't have added sugars or oils
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I walk my 4 dogs 1 to 1.5 miles every day, and do an hour of Zumba once a week (my DVDs). I'm pretty much eating the same things right now. (I hadn't thought of that.) I'm always at or slightly over on protein.

I don't belong to a gym - and don't have the extra money for it right now. I don't know what else to do to mix up my exercise. I have 2 different walking routes that both have low incline hills.There's a big hill that I do about once a week or so.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you need to eat a little more to start losing again, strange as it sounds.. Change the rate of your weight loss back by 0.5 pounds a week, and it will add a few hundred more calories to your daily allowance. Do that for a few weeks, and then you can reduce it back again. I stalled out at 30bs lost, did this, and I am losing consistently again.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I often have the same problem. An ounce or two of cheese usually adds the calories I need without carbs. It does have some sodium, so watch that. Make sure to get a good quality real cheese - not that processed junk full of fake stuff. You only need a small amount since it's pretty calorie-dense. It's worth the splurge. Good luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    cheese & meat are my #1 carb-free go-to noms. You can also try Doctor's Carbrite Bars. They are protein bars designed for diabetics, and tasty.