Ladies Only-Birth Control PREVENTING losing weight?

Options
Hey. I'm taking the pill, and I find that on the one "off" week each month I'm dropping more weight than when I'm on the pill. I noticed this change as soon as I started taking it. I was losing steadily, but then when I started the B.C. it stopped, and I haven't changed my eating habits. (For those out there who say eating less is the solution.) I'm sticking to my normal calories between 1300-1500 each day, and I exercise. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm curious if the pill causes some type of water retention, but I wouldn't imagine I would retain that much water over the course of 3 weeks.

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    it probably does hinder it at bit....but just imagine what a pregnancy would do to your weight loss goals...:laugh: :laugh:

I have heard that you actually burn more calories the week of your period though, so it could be this. Also, most of us tend to bloat and retain more water right before our periods, which might make it seem like you're losing more, when your body is simply letting go of excess water once you start.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You will hear all kinds of responses on this topic because everyone seems to be affected by the pills differently. However, speaking only for myself, when I got put on Yaz for perimenopause issues, I very rapidly gained weight even with no changes to my diet or exercise plan, and could NOT get it off no matter how diligent I was - and I had not been overweight before and had happily maintained my healthy weight for 40 years. After 6 years on the pills I decided 6 months ago to quit them, and have slowly lost 15 pounds. Still have 20 to go to get back to where I was before being on the pills, though. :(

*sits back to wait for the hateful comments about how I clearly wasn't tracking my food properly, etc. etc. etc.*
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I took Yaz, and several other types of BCP over the years, and it never affected my weight loss or made me gain. Are you saying you've only been on it for three weeks? If so, I think you need to give it a little more time.
  • luffins
    luffins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for almost 2 years and I've been able to lose weight while on it. I found the only time it really affected my weight was when I first started to take it. After that it's been all good.
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options
    Anyone take the shot? I'm considering getting the depo shot and everyone I know always gains at least 10 lbs on it! My sister gained 15... ugh.
  • lalee93
    lalee93 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Anyone take the shot? I'm considering getting the depo shot and everyone I know always gains at least 10 lbs on it! My sister gained 15... ugh.

I would definitely look into the side effects of the depo shot before starting it, and not only for weight loss reasons. While there are many women that use that form of birth control and are content with it, I have heard many horrible stories, including infertility and emergency hysterectomies. These stories are from people I know personally, so I know they are legitimate. If you go that route, I hope it works well for you. I was on it for about 6 months. While I was not tracking my weight at that time, so I cannot remember how it directly affected that aspect of my life, it through my hormones WAYYYY out of whack, and I had to quit it quickly thereafter.

To the OP, I recently went back to the pill after 4-ish years using the NuvaRing. I have not noticed any significant change to my weight loss, although it may be slightly slower. I also have not noticed any extra weight gain from water retention or anything like that in correlation with beginning the pill. I am Microgestrin Fe 1/20. I wish you luck in finding what works best for you!
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    No. I've been on b.c. for about 6 months, and it's consistent where I don't lose (or maybe a pound) during 3 weeks, then lose about 3 or 4 during the T.O.M.
  • k8325
    k8325 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, same thing happens to me! I have very limited weight lose three weeks of the month and then , bam! 5 lbs down. I always thought of it as my body wanting to hold on to energy stores just in case a baby was going to happen and then felt free to let it go once it was certain there would be no baby and that my weight loss was more designed around my menstrual cycle...not so much the pill effecting it per se. Lol, weird, I know! I have had a few friends who have gained weight on the pill and other who have had no effect.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Im glad im not alone! It just gets frustrating sometimes when you go so long without a loss even whem you eat at a deficit and exercise. Every little bit counts though!
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm taking the pill, and I find that on the one "off" week each month I'm dropping more weight than when I'm on the pill. I noticed this change as soon as I started taking it. I was losing steadily, but then when I started the B.C. it stopped, and I haven't changed my eating habits. (For those out there who say eating less is the solution.) I'm sticking to my normal calories between 1300-1500 each day, and I exercise. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm curious if the pill causes some type of water retention, but I wouldn't imagine I would retain that much water over the course of 3 weeks.

I also lose more weight during my off week of my birth control every 3 months (I take Seasonique) than I do at other times. I've been on birth control for 12 years now and have wondered if it is what causes me to hold onto weight.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm on nuva ring, The same thing happens to me every month too, my off week I always seem to lose more lbs. I take that as a week to really stick to my diet really well (no cheating) and try for an extra work out.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I would definitely look into the side effects of the depo shot before starting it, and not only for weight loss reasons. While there are many women that use that form of birth control and are content with it, I have heard many horrible stories, including infertility and emergency hysterectomies. These stories are from people I know personally, so I know they are legitimate. If you go that route, I hope it works well for you. I was on it for about 6 months. While I was not tracking my weight at that time, so I cannot remember how it directly affected that aspect of my life, it through my hormones WAYYYY out of whack, and I had to quit it quickly thereafter.

To the OP, I recently went back to the pill after 4-ish years using the NuvaRing. I have not noticed any significant change to my weight loss, although it may be slightly slower. I also have not noticed any extra weight gain from water retention or anything like that in correlation with beginning the pill. I am Microgestrin Fe 1/20. I wish you luck in finding what works best for you!

No offense but there would be no reason for emergency hysterectomies or infertility due to depo...ever it's a shot in the butt...

an IUD maybe...if it perforated the uterine wall...but those are rare.

I have used depo for over 10 years..took a break for an IUD for 7 years back on depo it's great.

I have lost most of my weight on depo.

As for the BC pill water retention is not real weight. BC pills or any other form does not magically create fat from nothing.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    on the one "off" week each month I'm dropping more weight than when I'm on the pill.

This probably has nothing to do with being on the pill. The "off" week is also the week you have your period. Whether I am on or off the pill, this happens to me, as I tend to retain water in the weeks before menstruation, so any fat loss is not noticeable until after I have my period and the weight drops. Like I said, on or off the pill I can work my butt off and lose nothing all month, then drop 5 lbs on day 3 of my period and keep it off.

That being said, I know a bunch of people who have gained weight just from using hormonal birth control. If that's the case, talk with your doctor and try another pill. As my doctor has told me, finding the right birth control is not an exact science, and you may need to try various levels of horomones to find something that suits you.
  • iluvstrawberries
    Options
    It IS most definitely possible to gain weight on any kind of birth control method involving hormones. take it from someone who in '05, was on yasmin for 6 months and i literally blew up 50# during that time. i am convinced that had i remained on it to this day, id be on my way to 400, maybe even 500#, maybe even dead from sheer weight stress on my heart. you should definitely give it a little time, maybe two months, and if it still happens, talk to your doc about other options
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It IS most definitely possible to gain weight on any kind of birth control method involving hormones. take it from someone who in '05, was on yasmin for 6 months and i literally blew up 50# during that time. i am convinced that had i remained on it to this day, id be on my way to 400, maybe even 500#, maybe even dead from sheer weight stress on my heart. you should definitely give it a little time, maybe two months, and if it still happens, talk to your doc about other options

It is possible to gain weight yes but hormonal BC does not create the calorie surplus. BC pills, the shot etc may increase your appetite...not hunger.

any weight gained while on BC is purely from a calorie surplus....
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options

No offense but there would be no reason for emergency hysterectomies or infertility due to depo...ever it's a shot in the butt...

I have used depo for over 10 years..took a break for an IUD for 7 years back on depo it's great.

As for the BC pill water retention is not real weight. BC pills or any other form does not magically create fat from nothing.

Both me and my sister turned into raging b1tches on the depo shot. I felt awful for the entire three months. It's tough because you can't stop it!

My favorite thing to use was the ortho evra patch. kept acne clear and no negative side effects for me. The only downfall was hiding it someplace during beach season.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I had the depo in January this year. I've lost 35 lbs since then so it certainly didn't effect me that way. Everyone is different and their body will react a different way. Plus its human nature to talk about (or post on the internet about) bad experiences rather than good so you are likely to hear the bad / extreme rather than the good / normal.
  • iluvstrawberries
    Options
    Appetite is hunger, if your appetite is bigger you're going to be hungry more, therefore you eat more
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Finding the right type of birth control for you - effective, convenient, etc. is important and for most people it takes a bit of trail and error. If this method is working for you I would stick with it. As women we have period and hormone issues that lead to weird weight fluctuations so I wouldn't concentrate on week to week but the fact that from month to month you are losing weight. If it is nothing one week and quite a bit in the next it will all work out in the wash.
  • iluvstrawberries
    Options

Both me and my sister turned into raging b1tches on the depo shot. I felt awful for the entire three months. It's tough because you can't stop it!

As to the patch issue, wear it in your bra, since we don't have hair on our chests like guys

My favorite thing to use was the ortho evra patch. kept acne clear and no negative side effects for me. The only downfall was hiding it someplace during beach season.