new to running on roads

Options
Apple31415
Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
I've recently lost enough weight to run on roads without tearing up my knees. I'm still a big guy (6'5" 238). There is a road right outside my house that seems perfect. It is exactly .4 miles to bottom of a 5% incline (and obv. .4 back up). Been doing hill repeats on this at about a 10 minute mile pace. 4-6 trips in total. Started out as a good alternative to driving to gym to do elliptical (and occassional treadmill) if i'm in a time pinch, but I've begun doing it more and more as the weather is nice now. Any advice from runners on how to run hills and avoid injury? (esp. at my size) any particular stretching techniques? What would be too often? I've not yet experienced any pain after doing this last couple of weeks 3 or 4 times a week, but i'm nervous since i'm new to road running. I live in the mountains and finding a route without significant hills is impossible.

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I've recently lost enough weight to run on roads without tearing up my knees. I'm still a big guy (6'5" 238). There is a road right outside my house that seems perfect. It is exactly .4 miles to bottom of a 5% incline (and obv. .4 back up). Been doing hill repeats on this at about a 10 minute mile pace. 4-6 trips in total. Started out as a good alternative to driving to gym to do elliptical (and occassional treadmill) if i'm in a time pinch, but I've begun doing it more and more as the weather is nice now. Any advice from runners on how to run hills and avoid injury? (esp. at my size) any particular stretching techniques? What would be too often? I've not yet experienced any pain after doing this last couple of weeks 3 or 4 times a week, but i'm nervous since i'm new to road running. I live in the mountains and finding a route without significant hills is impossible.

Much of what I have read over the years that the best way to warm up and get ready to run is to do some light jogging. YOu can stretch some muscles that may seem sore or tight, but in all some light jogging is what most of the people do to get ready to run.

As for hills...they are tough that is for sure!! Just remember to run against the traffic, and wear visible clothing.
  • Apple31415
    Options
    good advice - gonna add some warm up. wife makes me wear light colored clothing too haha. tried to walk out of the house in all black the other day at sundown...lots of new things to consider.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0 / 225 ..... but ran a marathon a couple of months ago at 245.

I run 3-4 times per week on the treadmill (distance of 5km-8km depending on mood) and try to get outside for a longer run at the weekend (anything upto about 10 miles / 16km).

I've always found I have problems with knees .... usually after around 7-8 miles. Recently, I've taken to foam rolling before and afterwards (especially outside of the leg / ITB Band) and - superstitiously - now tape the knees using kenesiology tape before I do anything over 8 miles.

So far ... so good .... and no issues......
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is to power UP hills and jog (or even walk) slowly down. This is because heel striking is practically inevitable when going downhill, so the slower you go, the less force is on each heel strike (thus less potential for injury). Not to mention that powering up hills will make you make you faster when you run on flats. :)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    good advice - gonna add some warm up. wife makes me wear light colored clothing too haha. tried to walk out of the house in all black the other day at sundown...lots of new things to consider.
    When I started running 5ks I couldnt believe all the wily veterans who were jogging, and jogging, and jogging, to get warmed up!
    I was like...WTH.....why are you running before the race!

After awhile I started it and, well, light jogging was better than any stretch I could have done to get ready. I may target some areas I may be sore or a known trouble spot for myself, but overall just light jogging!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Actually hill repeats are one of the best ways to get a good running workout while going easy on the knees. Just make sure you take it VERY easy on the downhill recovery.

I'm a big advocate of strength training to prevent repetitive stress injuries for runners. Squats, lunges, and core strength workouts are keys.

If you want to go for a longer run I'd suggest just taking it especially slowly on the downhills to minimize the stress on your joints. In general, new runners tend to go too fast and that is what leads to injury. If you find yourself struggling to breathe, that's a good sign you should slow down! You should be able to talk in multiple-word sentences while you are doing most workouts (but it's okay to toss in a couple of hard hill sessions every week).
  • Apple31415
    Options
    definitely disciplining myself to go SLLLOWW downhill. Recovery is important to allowing me to get a distance that i'm proud of. I like the idea of powering up the hill - should be a negative split uphill vs. downhill?
  • Apple31415
    Options
    marathon is far off my radar at this point but good to know i wouldn't have to be stick-thin for it to be a possibility. What kind of 5K time do you need to realistically think about marathon training?
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is to power UP hills and jog (or even walk) slowly down. This is because heel striking is practically inevitable when going downhill, so the slower you go, the less force is on each heel strike (thus less potential for injury). Not to mention that powering up hills will make you make you faster when you run on flats. :)

This!
    I generally force myself to get up the damned hill, and then walk at the top as my "reward" for making it. (Of course, I strained a hammy this morning doing this, but we're not going to talk about that. :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    No advice on hill work, but a few on road safety:

I bought a cheap construction vest from Amazon. It's construction green, reflective, well vented, and lightweight. I think it cost $7. Best investment ever. If I'm concerned about low visibility (bad weather, etc) I also have a green reflective hat I'll throw on.

Get a Road ID. They are cheap. If an accident were to happen, the paramedics would have access to your emergency contacts and medical information. Get the wrist ID, as sometimes in an accident shoes will go flying, taking your ID with them.

This may seem duh, but run against traffic. I see so many people who don't know this.

Keep in mind that visibility can be poor on hills and curves. If you wear earbuds, leave the one closest to the road out so that you can hear cars coming. If they aren't getting over, make sure you do.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    marathon is far off my radar at this point but good to know i wouldn't have to be stick-thin for it to be a possibility. What kind of 5K time do you need to realistically think about marathon training?

It's really not so much about a 5k time, it's about weekly mileage. If you can comfortably handle 35 miles per week, then you are a candidate for marathon training. In the meantime, you can try your hand at longer and longer races. If you can finish a 5k, try a 10k. If that feels good, look for a half-marathon training plan.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    No advice on hill work, but a few on road safety:

I bought a cheap construction vest from Amazon. It's construction green, reflective, well vented, and lightweight. I think it cost $7. Best investment ever. If I'm concerned about low visibility (bad weather, etc) I also have a green reflective hat I'll throw on.

Get a Road ID. They are cheap. If an accident were to happen, the paramedics would have access to your emergency contacts and medical information. Get the wrist ID, as sometimes in an accident shoes will go flying, taking your ID with them.

This may seem duh, but run against traffic. I see so many people who don't know this.

Keep in mind that visibility can be poor on hills and curves. If you wear earbuds, leave the one closest to the road out so that you can hear cars coming. If they aren't getting over, make sure you do.

Sound advice for novice road runners here.

I always also carry my phone. If something happens and I need to call my wife, I have it. Personally I don't see the point of an ICE contact (my phone is always locked, so paramedics wouldn't be able to get into my contacts), but I know that the first time I don't carry it...I'll need it.

My other piece of road-running advice, which will go along with "run against traffic," would be to always assume that the drivers coming up to a stop sign won't. Or if they do, they won't stop at the stop line, they'll roll thru the crosswalk (if there is one). And I don't know how many times I've almost been creamed by someone turning right, so they're only looking over their left shoulder at oncoming traffic. Had I not been paying attention and had cat-like reflexes...
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    ^^Yes to the phone. I haven't had a problem yet, but my neighbor is an experienced road runner (and held my hand through getting me started safely). He was about a mile from home, stepped on a rock, and severely sprained his ankle. He didn't have a phone, and had to limp his way back home. That kind of pain is not for me, I'd want to call for a ride!
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Road ID also has a free app for smart phone that turns your "lock screen" into an emergency contact screen...pretty neat!
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Everything every one had said I agree with! BUT also make sure to get good running shoes. They can make such a big difference for your knees. Try and go to a running store and have them check you out and get you fitted, if you haven't already. I can't tell you how finding the right shoe for me helped out SO much :)

Have fun!!
  • Apple31415
    Options
    thanks so much for all of the good advice! like i said, a lot of new stuff to consider but i'm really thinking i've found a new fun thing in life. I always viewed running as punishment (team sports coaches always threatened us with it) but found myself enjoying it the past few times. I'm trying to keep my feet under me to avoid excessive heel strike but all the taking it easy downhill advice frees me up to embrace that idea. Thanks again! I knew i could count on the fine folks on MFP...
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I run but have no advice. hoping some of my strong runner friends can help
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Just take it easy, and incorporate other physical activities to your routine. Remember, a runners physique is different, from say that of a boxer. So what body type do you aim for?
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I don't run, as the impact would affect my joints, and back. However, if they start manufacturing decent footwear, I would consider using my local cycle path. I currently walk a lot along these quiet cycle paths, and should I feel the need to bounce up and down, I bring along a skipping rope.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I run outside and my run path is very hilly. I just run a little slower up hill and i always run at normal pace down. I kind of think of the down as a rest. I have been running outside for a few years now and my weekly mileage is in the 40's. No problems yet. You could try to run more on dirt as i heard it is better for the knees.