HELP - TDEE confused as all get out!?!?!

Options
Who out here is REALLY GOOD at figuring the TDEE stuff?? - I honestly want to understand it better - and readjust calories based on TDEE rather than the MFP default - but I've gone to a few different sites and am confused as hell. (if it would be easier to explain to me in a personal message - that is fine) I am feeling extremely dumb at the moment.

HELP - I honestly think I could be eating a bit more - but don't know......

Scooby says with a 10% reduction - I should be at 1629, another site had me at 2075 - and IIFM at 1860 - that is a HUGE difference. (by the way MFP has me at 1350) what the heck?!?!

I'm 5'0"
CW 135
GW 120
Exercise 3 times a week - 20 min cardio /20-30 strength. sit at a desk 7 hrs a day

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, MFP has a lower calorie model because you are expected to log your exercise in so your daily calories will fluctuate based on your exercise for that day (you eat those calories back... or some eat most back as you really don't know how many calories you actually burned, so estimates tend to be high). The TDEE method already includes your exercise activity into a weekly model (so you don't log exercise or eat those calories back) and gives you an average daily number to shoot for. Regardless of the TDEE calculator you choose to follow (Scooby, IIFYM, etc...), they are all estimates and all you really have to do, if following the TDEE method, is pick one and eat at that level for a couple of weeks. If you are losing .5%-1% of your body-weight a week, then you are golden...if you are not losing or you are losing too much per week on average, then adjust your calories up or down daily by 50 or so accordingly... but if you adjust, give that single adjustment a couple of weeks to get a good baseline to then adjust further if needed. People over-think or make this process more complicated than it actually is because they are impatient with the process.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I can be patient - I just got such a wide range of number (basically a whole meal difference for me!) So I didn't even know where to go.

Basically pick one - don't eat back exercise - and see how it goes - I guess I can do that! Thanks
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Who out here is REALLY GOOD at figuring the TDEE stuff?? - I honestly want to understand it better - and readjust calories based on TDEE rather than the MFP default - but I've gone to a few different sites and am confused as hell. (if it would be easier to explain to me in a personal message - that is fine) I am feeling extremely dumb at the moment.

HELP - I honestly think I could be eating a bit more - but don't know......

Scooby says with a 10% reduction - I should be at 1629, another site had me at 2075 - and IIFM at 1860 - that is a HUGE difference. (by the way MFP has me at 1350) what the heck?!?!

I'm 5'0"
    CW 135
    GW 120
    Exercise 3 times a week - 20 min cardio /20-30 strength. sit at a desk 7 hrs a day

MFP is based on the NEAT method. With this method you eat back your exercise calories in order to net the calorie goal they give you.

TDEE includes an estimate of exercise calories which is why the number is higher than MFP and in this case, you don't eat back exercise calories logged (or why you'll see people logging them at 1 cal).

Everything is an estimate. Pick one at the correct activity level. Do for 4-6 weeks and adjust as needed (if needed). Make sure that you give your body 4-6 weeks to adjust each time you make a change to your activity level or calorie intake.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What Pika said.

Personally I would pic a middle of the road one, not the highest and not the lowest, and give it a few weeks, adjust from there.

You will get different numbers everywhere. It can be overwhelming. They are all meant as a starting place.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    bumping this thread.. Confused myself
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I can be patient - I just got such a wide range of number (basically a whole meal difference for me!) So I didn't even know where to go.

Basically pick one - don't eat back exercise - and see how it goes - I guess I can do that! Thanks

So take the average of two or more sites and go from there if that sits better with you.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

So take the average of two or more sites and go from there if that sits better with you.

I had thought about that - the average of the three is 1854 - so the 1860 one is pretty close. I'll try that - without eating back exercise for a while.