street tacos at a mexican resturate?

My hubby and I enjoy this whole in the wall restaurant. AMAZING daily specials lol. We got 1-2 times a week. No chips . Anyways sometimes we get the street tacos. They either have them with brisket or carnitas. Its on a small corn tortilla, maybe a little bigger than the palm of my hand but smaller then a regular tortilla. It is dressed with raw onions and cilantro. Issue is they have no nutrition on line. I cant ask as everyone there speaks Spanish and I do not. How much would you judge for these? They come 5 on a plate I usually eat 4.

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    So take one home and "dissect" it to a degree (so weigh out the individual components and size the tortilla to find one in the database) and build a recipe using the recipe builder. With so few ingredients, it would be easy and probably fairly close to actual which is really all you can do. FYI...you also might want to add in a little cooking oil or cooking fat of some kind as I'm sure they don't cook without it...maybe like a half to a teaspoon for each taco...
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Depends really on what they put on them. If I'm really craving Mexican, we'll stop by Qdoba or Chipotle and get a trio of cruchy tacos. They're 400-420 calories for all three with the way I have them dressed: roasted pork or beef, lettuce, fajita veggies, and salsa verde.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    My hubby and I enjoy this whole in the wall restaurant. AMAZING daily specials lol. We got 1-2 times a week. No chips . Anyways sometimes we get the street tacos. They either have them with brisket or carnitas. Its on a small corn tortilla, maybe a little bigger than the palm of my hand but smaller then a regular tortilla. It is dressed with raw onions and cilantro. Issue is they have no nutrition on line. I cant ask as everyone there speaks Spanish and I do not. How much would you judge for these? They come 5 on a plate I usually eat 4.

Here in Mexico the government's nutrition info says that a normal tortilla ( they are by regulation the size of a saucer under a cup ) are 50-55 calories and carnitas, onion & cilantro with a spoonful of salsa are depending how fatty the carnitas are and if the salsa is made with oil or not about 80-100 calories. If I eat a taco meal ( which I make at home, but just like a taco from a stand ) I can eat three tacos and count 450 calories .If I eat other meats ( bistek, carne asada, chuleta, campechana etc ) I also count 450 calories for three, because at least here there is nothin more, just the tortilla, the meat and the toppings....no beans, no chips...no nothing.
    The idea to take a taco home and " dissect " it imo is an excellent one, especially since you have to do it only once....:o).