After Work Hunger!

Options
mandaror
mandaror Posts: 10 Member
This seems to be my weakest time of the day! Right when I get home from work. I want to eat everything in site and fruit and veggies just don't satisfy my cravings at this time. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Can you just have dinner then?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This seems to be my weakest time of the day! Right when I get home from work. I want to eat everything in site and fruit and veggies just don't satisfy my cravings at this time. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

This used to be my problem as well. I now eat lunch around 2:00 - 2:30 and I'm not hungry until later. I know a lot of people still swear by the "breakfast is the most important meal" or "breakfast like a king, etc.", but I find that if I skip breakfast I don't get hungry until much later in the day. On work days, I eat only 2 meals.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, for some reason the "EAT ALL DA FOODS" button goes off when I go in the door. I think it has more to do with wanting to comfort myself with "I made it through the workday, lets relax" than actual hunger..

Some things that work for me: have a protein packed snack around 4:30 ish, OR go ahead and have my dinner then, OR plan a run/workout right after work, OR chug a few glasses of water around that time as its an easy time of day to feel dehydrated, treat myself to an activity right after work that doesn't involve food (shopping, nails, walk with a friend, visiting my horses, walking my dog and listening to an audiobook)...

Honestly a lot of times I just decide to have an early dinner. My s/o doesn't like to eat until like 9 but if I wait til then I'll end up with four snacks AND a meal and feel miserable. So many days I just go ahead and make my meal, then have a small snack with him later if I still feel the need.

I think it comes down to the old rules: make sure you are hungry, not thirsty, if you are hungry EAT, but make it work into your plan for the day, and if you are always hungry that time of day then you may need to up protein or cals at breakfast or lunch :)
  • mandaror
    mandaror Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I have tried making dinner after work however I find myself eating along the way! So bad I know....I will try drinking some water and a protein filled snack. I like the suggestion to eating lunch later, that may help as I feel I have much more self control at work being that I am not near my fridge or pantry!
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Try keeping protein bars or a similar portable snack in your car and have it on the way home from work.. I usually eat a snack while making dinner or on my way home on the days I plan better, then I eat dinner right when it's ready too. Hungry hungry! Just requires planning to make it all fit right into your calories. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Plan it into your day if that's what your propensities are. I take in the vast majority of my calories from around 4 in the afternoon through bedtime, and I always just planned for that. Pre-log it if you have to. If you're worried about meal timing then stop...it's irrelevant.
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a ginormous cup of tea when I get in the door. It's warming, relaxing and gives me something to sip on while I make dinner. Helps me not eat ALL THE THINGS. Or all the cereal...my weakness.
  • nellneary
    nellneary Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with working out or planning an activity after work! I find that if I go for a run or even a long walk with the dog and get out of the house (away from food) by the time I get back, not only is it actually time for dinner, but that I am also less hungry in general.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Definitely try adding in a snack before you get off of work. I either eat a smaller snack mid-morning (10:30-11) and don't eat lunch until 2 or I eat luch around noon and eat my snack about 3pm. It has been a huge help in keeping me satisfied without making my husband eat dinner at 5:30pm.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    As some of the others said- having a small snack before dinner is key. I've tried not snacking before dinner and all it does is make me ravenous for dinner and I eat more.
  • SemperFireMedic
    SemperFireMedic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe this link will be of some use, if the hunger might be "Craving" specific.

http://www.dailytransformations.com/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/