Question to lifters about bodyweight ATG squats

Options
minizebu
minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
Before we start, no, I don't even lift, bro.

I am fumbling my way through a calisthenics routine. For full bodyweight ATG squats, I have my feet planted slightly wider than shoulder width and toes pointed slightly outward, maybe 45 degrees. As I drop, I make sure that my knees are tracking in line with my toes.

The mantra that I've read and heard repeatedly is that knees should not extend beyond the toes, but when I am all the way down with my bottom inches from the floor, my knees do indeed stick out slightly beyond my toes.

Is this because I am doing it wrong, my foot stance is incorrect, or is it a peculiarity of my anatomy?

I'm not planning to start a weightlifting program in the foreseeable future, but in the event that I ever change my mind, I don't want to have muscle memory working against me.

Are knees indeed not supposed to stick out beyond toes in the full squat, or is that just an admonition for squats to parallel?

Should I have a different foot position (wider or narrower stance and/or foot angle)?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's normal.

some knee over the toe for a full depth squat is natural.

lots to do with length of femur and all. don't sweat it.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    it's normal.

^^^ this
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    it's normal.

^^^ this

^^^ this
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    it's normal.

^^^ this

^^^ this

^^^^more this. Mine go past my toes. Also, having a small butt wink in full ATG is normal for many people.